UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"The Living Camera"

Primus Pilus

Imagine what he could do as a scholar.

I have to look at my name tag each morning to find out who I am.

With those powers of perception, imagine what he could do as a detective.

-- Nephele

-- Nephele

Unfortunately, he probably can't relate the things he sees into an investigative mindset. His brain takes a photo (as complex as it may be) and simply recalls it later (albeit in exact detail). Of course there are many levels of autism so the capabilities are very dependent upon individual circumstances. As obviously brilliant as he his in this one segment, I wonder even if he could function as a witness to a crime, let alone a detective. I don't mean to discredit him by any stretch (as I clearly have no clue to his capabilities), but only to reflect on how amazing the human brain is.

-- Nephele

Unfortunately, he probably can't relate the things he sees into an investigative mindset. His brain takes a photo (as complex as it may be) and simply recalls it later (albeit in exact detail). Of course there are many levels of autism so the capabilities are very dependent upon individual circumstances. As obviously brilliant as he his in this one segment, I wonder even if he could function as a witness to a crime, let alone a detective. I don't mean to discredit him by any stretch (as I clearly have no clue to his capabilities), but only to reflect on how amazing the human brain is.

I'm personally familiar with Asperger Syndrome, which is a high-functioning form of autism. In the video, Steven Wilshire doesn't appear to me to be totally withdrawn and incapable of all communication. And, yes, the human brain is a fascinating machine.

-- Nephele

Salve, Amici.

Savant syndrome is a rare, but extraordinary, condition in which persons with serious mental disabilities, including autistic disorder, have some 'island of genius' that stands in marked, incongruous contrast to overall handicap.

In fact as many as one in ten autistic persons have such remarkable abilities in varying degrees, although savant syndrome occurs in other developmental disabilities or CNS injury or disease as well.

The article summarizes past and present world literature on this topic, describes more recent cases, reviews current research findings, provides intervention strategies to channel such skills, and outlines future directions of inquiry to better explain this extraordinary condition.

Recent case reports increasingly implicate left hemisphere dysfunction with right hemisphere compensatory processes as an important causal component in many cases of savant syndrome, including those occurring in persons with autistic disorder. Especially intriguing are reports of newly emerging art, music and other savant-like skills in previously non-disabled persons following CNS injury or disease.

By Darold A. Treffert, MD, of the Wiscomsin Medical Society

Sequitur

• 3 months later...

I have asperger's syndrome, and although I doubt I could do what he did, I kinda understand anyway. When I was about 7 years old I memorized the first 40 presidents after skimming through an encyclopedia. My wife thinks I have savant-like musical abilities, although i disagree. I didn't start playing an instrument until I was 20, and I'm certainly no virtuoso, but I do think I have a very good ear. I can often listen to a song once or twice and immediately learn the notes or chords. I really don't like to talk about it, because I feel like I'm bragging. I'm far from perfect. I can learn my way around a new town or city relatively fast (I guess you could describe it as an internal map I keep in my brain), but I doubt I could come close to doing what that gentleman is capable of doing.