UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
spittle

FORUM MEMBERS. How much LATIN do you understand?

Although it hasn't helped me one iota, the Loeb series of books might be helpful. Latin on one side, English on the other.

I'm in AP Latin IV, which basically means I'm still in highschool. As far as I know it, I'm lucky to have a teacher who knows fluently both Greek and Latin (and 4 other languages) really helps. As for me, four years of Latin will do no good if you don't study for another four years in terms of learning the works of Roman scholars.

Well, I don't find reading Latin difficul at all, in fact, and compared to other languages, is has very simple pronunciation rules (if you learn three or four you can read it pretty well) ather thing is grammatica.... buf, that is much more difficult with all declinations, ausence of articles...

I hope members will speak their minds.

Salve Sp. EtaL

I took two years of High School Latin, and it was among my favorite classes. I took it first of as an attempt to advance my English language skills and English vocabulary, and because of its oblique connection with astronomy.

Over the years, I worked alone much of the time in construction, where verbal (bull.....) in communications should be kept to a minimum, as it creates a situation where mistakes occur. Enjoying that environment, I would try to put some of my thoughts into short Latin phrases, or use it as a sort of short hand or encryption device as a secret code, partly so as to keep my vocabulary from too much attrition, and too, just to have some private fun with it.

I never really learned to

My Latin is just about non-existent. I can go through really easy texts with a good dictinary. However I know some words now and then and when reading about architecture or water tech I can mostly find quite a deal of words I know.

It's been a while but I was wondering if these is right.

Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem. Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

I didn't know what to say... and I think some of that was slang and I'm sorry. I could have just said salve and vade en pace o something like that but I don't know. Wow. That was weird. English is so much harder anyway.

sceleste is evil right?

Vini, Vidi, Vici.

And that's it! :D

Ix-nay on the atin-Lay for e-May oo-tay.

With my job I know a lot of the Legal terminology (Res ipsa loquitur, etc.) but that's about it.

On the subject of Latin, well I do not have any real concept of the language to my up most regret/shame. So I wish to pose a question as to whether anyone knows of some sort of Summer Course one could do in Latin, bearing in mind that I live in the UK London. The Secondary School I am in does not provide Latin as a possible subject to study. Only Classical Studies (History side of the spectrum) which I am currently participating in!!!

I am starting at University in October- November 2008 (if everything goes according to plan lol :) ) and I have my heart set on a Degree in Classical Civilization or something of this description. So getting some sort of grasp of Latin would not go a stray I am sure!!!! :P:D

.Thanks in advance for all help given.

AEGYPTUS

Edited by AEGYPTUS

I would see where you end up going, and then taking it there as a course. It probably is a requirement once you get there, anyway. Beforehand, you probably could do self-study (there have been many suggestions here and in other threads about textbooks which are widely available) to give you an idea.

I have to be honest, I don't understand a word of the language, bar a few phrases I've become acquainted with. Given the number of translations available I haven't found this an enormous problem, but then I suppose I'm a little dependent on other peoples work.

you guys are lucky that you can read even a little latin.

i never got the option to learn it at school, we got the choice of French and Japanese.

i took Japanese, and after six years the only thing i remember is how to sing

'if your happy and you know it'. Wow what a waste of time that was.

The only latin i ever learnt was the scientific names of organisms (thanks to Biology).

i would love to learn latin though. it is a wonderful language.

I have now signed up for a course in Latin for next semester. And "experimental archeology", "Ancient culture and social life D essay" and "the Etruscans". I'm so dead.

Just curious however Whitewolf, where do you live to pick between French and Japanese?