UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

FORUM MEMBERS. How much LATIN do you understand?

i'm torn about learning too much Latin. it's such an interesting thing, but then it's called a dead language. anyone see another Italian Renaissance coming anytime soon?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did Latin for a year during my first year at university. Since I was doing a language degree, I thought it might come in handy. Besides, as a native Portuguese speaker, I've always been interested in finding out more about its origins. Unfortunately, I've forgotten a lot of it (Latin, not Portuguese :-)) but would like to take it up again at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

I had Latin in school for four years but always hated it although I always was interested in the Romans. I forgot most of it and have to admit that it was not much of help when learning French, Spanish or now Italian. The latter is easy for me now because of my knowledge of French and Spanish and sometimes even English comes in handy, but only very rarely Latin is of help to learn Italian.

Maybe the four years of Latin are helping me to remember the Latin names of my pieces of gladiatorial armor... :)