UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
P.Clodius

The name "Jersey" derived from "Caesarea"?

As an aside, Britain has an island named after Caesar; the U.S., a state.

Please expand!

Jersey = a corruption of Caesar.

The State of New Jersey. (Originally, Province of Novo Caesaria).

Edited by Gaius Octavius

The boys at Wiki say it's a possibility:

The name for Jersey itself is sourced from a Viking heritage: the Norse suffix -ey for island can be found in many places around the northern European coasts. However, the significance of the first part of the island's toponym is unclear. Among theories are that it derives from jarth (Old Norse: "earth") or jarl, or perhaps a personal name, Geirr, to give "Geirr's Island".[6] Alternatively support for a Celtic origin can be made with reference to the Gaulish gar- (oak), ceton (forest). It is also said to be a corruption of the Latin Caesarea, the Roman name for the island, influenced by Old English suffix -ey for "island";[7][8] this is plausible if regional pronunciation of Latin implied that Caesarea was not pronounced [kaisarea] but [tʃeːsarea].

As an aside, Britain has an island named after Caesar; the U.S., a state.

Please expand!

Jersey = a corruption of Caesar.

The State of New Jersey. (Originally, Province of Novo Caesaria).

Hmmm...never heard that before, here's wiki says...

Formerly under the control of Brittany and named Angia (also spelled Agna [5]), Jersey became subject to Viking influence in the ninth century, one of the "Norman Islands". The name for Jersey itself is sourced from a Viking heritage: the Norse suffix -ey for island can be found in many places around the northern European coasts. However, the significance of the first part of the island's toponym is unclear. Among theories are that it derives from jarth (Old Norse: "earth") or jarl, or perhaps a personal name, Geirr, to give "Geirr's Island".[6] Alternatively support for a Celtic origin can be made with reference to the Gaulish gar- (oak), ceton (forest). It is also said to be a corruption of the Latin Caesarea, the Roman name for the island, influenced by Old English suffix -ey for "island";[7][8] this is plausible if regional pronunciation of Latin implied that Caesarea was not pronounced [kaisarea] but [tʃeːsarea].

"...said tract of land is hereafter to be called by the name or names of New Caeserea or New Jersey: ...."

See: http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/states/nj01.htm

Additionally, both Etymology Online and Vicipaedia give some support for the claim of the name "Jersey" being a corruption of "Caesarea."

From Etymology Online: "...said to be a corruption of L. Caesarea, the Roman name for the island, infl. by O.E. ey 'island;' but probably in fact a Viking name."

From Vicipaedia: "Nova Caesarea est civitas Civitatum Foederatarum Americae."

-- Nephele

Additionally, both Etymology Online and Vicipaedia give some support for the claim of the name "Jersey" being a corruption of "Caesarea."

As MPC will probably point out, no matter where Caesar goes ... corruption is never far behind.

:ph34r:

Edited by G-Manicus

As MPC will probably point out, no matter where Caesar goes ... corruption is never far behind.

And, therefore, no better place to be named after Caesar than Sopranoland.

My Big Fat Roman Wedding:

"Give me English word any english word and I show you how come from Latin word... Jersey come from" :ph34r:

My joking aside if the Russians could turn Caesar into Tsar why not?

It just doesn't seem apparent why this channel island would be named after him.

And, therefore, no better place to be named after Caesar than Sopranoland.

The Green Eyed Monster strikes!

How about renaming ohio (from the Very Low texass "O!, Hi yo" for 'hello') to "O!, Cato". Sounds better to me. Maybe some bright :ph34r: will set up a poll!

:yes:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

[As an aside, Britain has an island named after Caesar; the U.S., a state.]

Idaho (for his relationship with the King of Bithynia?) :ph34r:

Seriously though, I know it's Jersey, but that's pushing it since the US state was named for the island, not for Caesar (even though the island was named for Caesar). If the idea was to truly name it for Caesar they would've called it New Caesarea.

My Big Fat Roman Wedding:

"Give me English word any english word and I show you how come from Latin word... Jersey come from" :ph34r:

My joking aside if the Russians could turn Caesar into Tsar why not?

It just doesn't seem apparent why this channel island would be named after him.

Good point. I think historical enthusiasts of the past made a real muddle here.

In Roman times, Jersey was not called Caesarea. Its name was Andium; in medieval Latin this appears as Angia. I'm no Viking expert, but I think it's highly likely that our name "Jersey" is of Norse origin meaning Geir's island.

Much later (maybe 16th/17th century?), the said historical enthusiasts claimed that Jersey had a Roman origin, and thought of the possible link with Caesar. They were so successful that Caesarea is now widely accepted as the modern Latin name for Jersey (hence the Vicipaedia article "Caesarea insula"); and because of this New Jersey was happily named by the modern Latinists "Nova Caesarea", what else? But it's all happened in the last few hundred years. I expect Caesar, in Olympus or the Elysian Fields or Tartarus (depending where you think he deserved to fetch up), is having a good laugh about it right now.

Edited by Andrew Dalby

In Roman times, Jersey was not called Caesarea. Its name was Andium; in medieval Latin this appears as Angia. I'm no Viking expert, but I think it's highly likely that our name "Jersey" is of Norse origin meaning Geir's island.

Much later (maybe 16th/17th century?), the said historical enthusiasts claimed that Jersey had a Roman origin, and thought of the possible link with Caesar. They were so successful that Caesarea is now widely accepted as the modern Latin name for Jersey (hence the Vicipaedia article "Caesarea insula"); and because of this New Jersey was happily named by the modern Latinists "Nova Caesarea", what else? But it's all happened in the last few hundred years. I expect Caesar, in Olympus or the Elysian Fields or Tartarus (depending where you think he deserved to fetch up), is having a good laugh about it right now.

Ah, thanks for straightening that out, AD! I noted that Etymology Online does state that, despite the claims of derivation from "Caesarea," the name of Jersey is "probably in fact a Viking name."

Vicipaedia is not so clear, however, and perhaps Vicipaedia is contributing to the confusion. Any chance you might be able to add a note to that Vicipaedia article sometime, regarding the Jersey-Caesarea debate?

-- Nephele

Vicipaedia is not so clear, however, and perhaps Vicipaedia is contributing to the confusion. Any chance you might be able to add a note to that Vicipaedia article sometime, regarding the Jersey-Caesarea debate?

-- Nephele

A fair point, Nephele ... I'll have a look at it!