UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The name "Jersey" derived from "Caesarea"?

P.Clodius

[As an aside, Britain has an island named after Caesar; the U.S., a state.]

Idaho (for his relationship with the King of Bithynia?) :yes:

*falls off chair* :ph34r:

-- Nephele

No matter how you bang away at that nut, the king of England called and spelt it 'Caesaria'. That's 'Caesar', and not Geir. Had he wanted to call it Geir (or whatever), he would have done so.

Look at the equation above, and some of the other documents in the Avalon project.

[As an aside, Britain has an island named after Caesar; the U.S., a state.]

Idaho (for his relationship with the King of Bithynia?) :P

Seriously though, I know it's Jersey, but that's pushing it since the US state was named for the island, not for Caesar (even though the island was named for Caesar). If the idea was to truly name it for Caesar they would've called it New Caesarea.

:ph34r::pokey: They DID! The king, assorted dukes, counts, earls, barons, baronets, squires and the common varlet nominated it thus! :rip: This crowd can't be wrong! :no::P;)

----------------------------------------------------

Let's get idaho :yes: 'right'. Again from the Very Low texass: "I'd a hoe."! :(

:wine:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Vicipaedia is not so clear, however, and perhaps Vicipaedia is contributing to the confusion. Any chance you might be able to add a note to that Vicipaedia article sometime, regarding the Jersey-Caesarea debate?

-- Nephele

A fair point, Nephele ... I'll have a look at it!

The Avalon documents are quite clear about it.

Vicipaedia is not so clear, however, and perhaps Vicipaedia is contributing to the confusion. Any chance you might be able to add a note to that Vicipaedia article sometime, regarding the Jersey-Caesarea debate?

-- Nephele

A fair point, Nephele ... I'll have a look at it!

The Avalon documents are quite clear about it.

That document you linked from Yale's Avalon Project is dated 1664, and illustrates the "real muddle" that Andrew Dalby was talking about when he wrote: "Much later (maybe 16th/17th century?), the said historical enthusiasts claimed that Jersey had a Roman origin, and thought of the possible link with Caesar."

What you linked, G.O., was a 17th century indenture being used as a historical record for New Jersey, merely giving an example of the use of the term "New Caesarea" for "New Jersey" at the time (which in all likelihood was perpetuating a mistaken belief regarding the origin of the name). It wasn't an example of actual research into the etymology of the name "Jersey," itself.

-- Nephele

I think that you are all Calabrese! I'm going to have four fingers of whiskey several times. Then you'll be sorry! You are all ganging up on me unfairly. GPM and G-M in another thread. I'm going to find a way to pick on Pertinax or Flavia Gemina. Cook up some pole cat.