Ursus

Exhibition of Saucy Art

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/art/news/story/0,,2187310,00.html

"The exhibition begins with the "secret cabinets" of the British Museum and

the Naples Museum - reserved areas where material deemed too saucy for

general consumption was placed to protect delicate nerves and impressionable

minds from the late 18th century. Here is an amber, life-size carving of

male genitalia, and a tintinnabulum, a Roman bronze windchime featuring a

winged phallus. "These are absolutely wonderful objects," said Prof Wallace.

"They are good luck charms: the idea is that the penis is the only part of

the body that moves up and down without control. That links it to fate or

fortune, which also moves up and down of its own volition.""

That means, come Friday, the first ever mainstream exhibition devoted to sex will be unleashed upon an unsuspecting British public.

What took the Brits so long? We've had The Museum of Sex here in NYC (corner of Fifth Avenue and East 27th Street) for years.

Hopefully, London's new museum will be inclined to share its exhibits with NYC (and vice versa) as our Museum of Sex frequently gets new exhibits on loan, and last year had an exhibit featuring erotic art from Japan's Edo period (1630-1868).

-- Nephele

Where are the pictures? I want to see pictures! :furious:

That means, come Friday, the first ever mainstream exhibition devoted to sex will be unleashed upon an unsuspecting British public.

What took the Brits so long? We've had The Museum of Sex here in NYC (corner of Fifth Avenue and East 27th Street) for years.

Others can put it in a museum if they want. We just get on with it.

Where are the pictures? I want to see pictures! :ph34r:

YOU'RE LOCKED UP, TOO! :furious:

Hahahaha! Flavia Gemina mentions those little winged phalluses in one of her books (The Colossus of Rhodes)! The children characters are given these to wear as protective amulets. Not only is this a highly amusing scene in the book for young readers, but they're bound to remember the word apotropaic ("a Greek word...it means something that turns bad luck away from you") which Flavia includes in the passage. I love books for kids that combine "snicker humor" with education. It's the best way to learn! B)

-- Nephele

Where are the pictures? I want to see pictures! B)

YOU'RE LOCKED UP, TOO! :ph34r:

Hahahaha! Flavia Gemina mentions those little winged phalluses in one of her books (The Colossus of Rhodes)! The children characters are given these to wear as protective amulets. Not only is this a highly amusing scene in the book for young readers, but they're bound to remember the word apotropaic ("a Greek word...it means something that turns bad luck away from you") which Flavia includes in the passage. I love books for kids that combine "snicker humor" with education. It's the best way to learn! :D

-- Nephele

No wonder why childrens are going to pot in a handbag! The likes of Flavia and you are totally responsible! :furious:

You tell 'em A.D.!

You tell 'em A.D.!

While we're on this subject, Cecil can you still get me the DVD's you promised me last week?? :furious:

You tell 'em A.D.!

While we're on this subject, Cecil can you still get me the DVD's you promised me last week?? :furious:

Sorry, you beer stealing Rhaetian, we're at war! :ph34r:

Actually I have spent many happy hours in the Secret Cabinet room of the Archaeological Museum in Naples, and in the Roman Life room of the British Museum here in London. I have taken lots of fun photos, too!

The funny thing is: I go to book festivals and schools wearing my little replica amulet from Emporias, a Roman site in Spain. And nobody ever notices it! No wings or bells, but it seems to do the job! :furious:

phallicamulet.jpg

Edited by Flavia Gemina

Actually I have spent many happy hours in the Secret Cabinet room of the Archaeological Museum in Naples, and in the Roman Life room of the British Museum here in London. I have taken lots of fun photos, too!

The funny thing is: I go to book festivals and schools wearing my little replica amulet from Emporias, a Roman site in Spain. And nobody ever notices it! No wings or bells, but it seems to do the job! :furious:

phallicamulet.jpg

You're not taking any chances, are you? Do I see three?

See: http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=1150