UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Great news Klingan... by all means try anything... anything at all. It'll be good to have you here - in fact it'll be fantastic!! We'll all make you feel very welcome indeed! Have you been to the Wall before or even England?

I have not. Actually, and I'm ashamed to tell you, the Uk is one of the last country's in western Europe I've not been to (Not counting the airport time.) at all. It's all very awkward. I've had thoughts about visiting British Museum and all the other things worth seeing on your island for a few years now, but you know how students have it. It's not very easy to pay the expanse.

I guess I could try to actually get it all done at once at a well chosen week around June, July and early September next year! I'll keep you updated :angry:

Does anyone have a time machine (if so i could tell The Romans to go on a small campaign to Perth that would mean you could come here)?

Or a spare few thousand pounds?

Seriously though! I miss out!

To Klingan: could you pick me up in your longboat en route :angry:

Oh well, mention me.

vtc

Time machines? They are sadly out of my reach with my humble savings of about

Anyway, I am not too sure if I can make those dates as I will be excavating at Vindolanda at that time; and, if all goes well, I may be at the British School at Rome the following month.

I would also like to apologise for my resent absence from the forum over the past month -

And so would I. I have been unusually quiet, I'm afraid. But I do definitely want to come to the Wall (can you believe that I have never seen it, me an Englishman and all?) I leave to others the exact choice of date because I just have to come to England from time to time so I can probably make it fit.

And I certainly hope to see WW again. It soulds to me as though excavating at Vindolanda ought not to be totally incompatible with a meeting on the Wall ...

Well . . . June/July's likely to be hot on the heels of a Wall tour, so it'd very much depend on me convincing " 'er indoors". But, put me down as a 'probable', and I'll start working on her now.

What would be a good Latin translation of " 'er indoors"?

Well . . . June/July's likely to be hot on the heels of a Wall tour, so it'd very much depend on me convincing " 'er indoors". But, put me down as a 'probable', and I'll start working on her now.

What would be a good Latin translation of " 'er indoors"?

The Latin for that ( 'er indoors ) is actually 'suus intus' - so there we go!! Hope you can make it Ghost - the more the merrier!

Andrew... it'll be good to see you again and hopefully if WW can't be part of the group we will see him at Vindolanda hard at work in a hole digging up something rather spectacular like a scroll containing and edict from the Emperor!! He's probably more likely to find yet another shoe!! They've got loads of 'em there! Oh, btw, thanks for the advice once again re the email I sent asking about fish sauce! Because we have been so busy we haven't had much chance to try the alternative you gave... but we will by the time this meet comes about so I'll let you know what we think! Just as a passing thought - if Sally Grainger were asked to come along for part of our jaunt would she do that voluntarily and maybe give us a talk on Roman foods and offer a small demonstration? This would be an entirely private thing for our group alone and not public. I can't beleive you haven't visited the Wall Andrew. This will be a momentous occasion for you then. If everything works and falls into place you should leave with fond memories of it as wll others.

So far everything is looking better for this trip than the last planned one. Better timing and better numbers - so hopefully when the time comes round we'll have plenty to say and do.

Well folks... it looks like a date may be fairly near to being a fixed feature of this event. As it stands just now the dates we are looking at will be July 25 through 27 (Fri to Sun). Any commitments that are likely to arise for me on that weekend will now have to take second place. So if everyone can come back to me with their thoughts on those dates and a fair amount of commitment I can pencil them in for us.

Hotels in or near Newcastle will feature and maybe Augusta can help out with that as she did so well last time round. If not I will look into it. Contact will have to be made with NN too to see if he is still willing to share organising duties and we also have to finalise details on talks to be given by at least three folks on this tour.

So, if you're all willing to commit now then go ahead. I need numbers early so we can look at multi bookings and possible discounts in hotels or B&B's etc.

I await your replies.....

AC

Sounds good to me weather-wise. My life will be upended (hopefully) with a new job and a move, so either June or July sound good, but whether I am 100% confirmed to go won't come for a bit yet. But I'll try to set those dates (and perhaps the week before...see if I can't make a whole trip out of this!) aside.

Consider me committed. I'm flexible on dates so it shouldn't be a problem.

Im ok as well. Doc, the weather should be better at that time of year, but dont count on a heatwave.

For all UNRV bon vivant's this is an excellent place to eat at modest cost:

http://www.herdinghillfarm.co.uk/index.html

not at all far from the Wall.I dont know if this can be edged into the itinerary, but I do reccomend it

Hi all

Many thanks to those who have replied and committed so far. Doc, it is nice to see you may be able to get here for this event. We look forward to seeing you!! July isn't too bad weather-wise here but it can rain so be prepared... anyway, I'll book gorgeous weather for all of us to wallow in!!

I will look very closely at the itinerary again very soon and will let you know what we can do for places to stop and eat. This is important of course but there are cafe's in the forts usually so if everyone wants to sample their cuisine we can go for that. As I say we'll look at this shortly. We need to know numbers and have things confirmed for accommodation etc first and then sort out how our mealtimes will be spread. Anyway, it'll sort itself and we can look forward to a grand ol' time!!

BTW Pertinax... I have checked that link and I do not believe I know the farm concerned. The meals there must be very good as you say but the farm may be a tad too far west for our purposes. I will check when our itinerary is nearly finalised of course.

So far, so good then!!