UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

here's another AC! This one is "steady away" with decent beer.

http://www.pubsgalore.co.uk/pubs/30460/

I hope im not making a nuisance of myself. ;)

Just a quick reply today - will post more later. Yes - count me in, AC. No problem with the dates. And I will liaise with you all shortly as I am still willing to do my share of the hotel organising or whatever.

Count me in too. The summer holidays haven't been booked yet but at least now we have a date for the meet I've got something to work with.

Doc, whether rain or shine, all will be fine! ;)

Count me in too. The summer holidays haven't been booked yet but at least now we have a date for the meet I've got something to work with.

Doc, whether rain or shine, all will be fine! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

;) double post......... SORRY!

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Doc, whether rain or shine, all will be fine! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

:oops: double post......... SORRY!

Double post? My goodness... you must be keen to come!!! Or was it the beer or wine? :D:wine: the latter!!! :yes:

And so it now looks brighter than ever - I have had other commitments too privately so it all looks very good. I can now try and put an itinerary togetherwhich will include a stay in Jesmond and travel to the Wall which helps if the weather isn't too good. More on that later as Augusta has offered to help organise that part too. This follows from her excellent efforts last time round when other vents got in our way somewhat and forced us to rethink.

So for all who have come back so far - THANK YOU! Hopefully our 'tour' will enlighten you all as to the greatness of our heritage here in the North of England. Some of you have seen it before and some have not seen it at all. So I will take all that into consideration.

Let's make it a good one!!

Hey AC. Do you have a provisional itinerary?

Hey AC. Do you have a provisional itinerary?

Hey GoC...

I'll be working on that very soon. If you look back at the other thread for our cancelled meet you can find an itinerary there of sorts that we may be sticking reasonably close to. That may help give you an idea of what is possible. Of course, as soon as I do have definite details I will post here. Accommodation and numbers are important and we will have to gauge things around who may have or who may require to share transport. If that is not feasable we will use the train or some such mode of mobility. We hope to have all that sorted byu January or so. The Augusta has kindly agreed to help with the search for accommodation and we may choose the aborted hotel from last year as they were so helpful. We'll check others too.

So, keep an eye open in here and I will post all new info as soon as I have it.

Just wondering about how much you people believe this will cost? (Hotel/food/travel through England etc, I have absolutely no clue how much such thing cost over there.). Just a very rough number would be appreciated. I'm going to see if I can make up some cash somehow.

Just wondering about how much you people believe this will cost? (Hotel/food/travel through England etc, I have absolutely no clue how much such thing cost over there.). Just a very rough number would be appreciated. I'm going to see if I can make up some cash somehow.

Klingan... Hi...

I'm not too sure off hand what the exchange rate is for Sweden. I used to as it was one of the first countries I wanted to visit many years ago. I have not been abroad yet and it is still on my agenda for the future. Stockholm and its wonderful Archipelago is a big draw for me.

Anyway, I will see Gail about costs for the hotel she is in touch with (or soon will be) and will post back about that. Travel costs will depend upon whether or not we have our own drivers or need to use public transport. For that you will need no more than

Edited by Augustus Caesar

Thanks! That's the rough estimates I needed. I will see how much money I can get my hands on during the next months and tell you guys asap if I'm coming. How long before the date should the hotel etc preferably be booked?

Thanks! That's the rough estimates I needed. I will see how much money I can get my hands on during the next months and tell you guys asap if I'm coming. How long before the date should the hotel etc preferably be booked?

Glad to be of help Klingan. The hotel will hopefully be booked by January or Febuary at the latest. We will inform you as soon as we know what the costs are so everybody can sort their money out with the maximum amount of time available. Deposits may be required but last time round we didn't have to pay anything at all so no real need to worry about that just now. The Augusta is looking after the booking so don't worry about that.

If anyone needs more information or has any questions do ask.

Glad to be of help Klingan. The hotel will hopefully be booked by January or Febuary at the latest. We will inform you as soon as we know what the costs are so everybody can sort their money out with the maximum amount of time available. Deposits may be required but last time round we didn't have to pay anything at all so no real need to worry about that just now. The Augusta is looking after the booking so don't worry about that.

If anyone needs more information or has any questions do ask.

Yep - just to reiterate Gus's comments, Klingan - most hotels I looked at last time only required the security of the booking person's credit/debit card number, and they operate a 48 hour cancellation policy. In effect, this means that as long as people cancel before that time there is no penalty. If we failed to turn up or whatever on the day, the hotel would charge one night's stay as a penalty. So, if we are all agreed on the Jesmond again - and I will be getting onto this as soon as the holiday festivities are over, there will be nothing to pay up front on that score.

We do hope you can make it Klingan.

Do they take Maestro or will I have to borrow a Visa from a relative?

Do they take Maestro or will I have to borrow a Visa from a relative?

Hi Klingan

The hotel The Augusta mentions is the Jesmond Park Hotel and they take the following... "We accept - Cash, Cheques accompanied by a valid Bankers Switch or Solo Card, Visa, Mastercard and Eurocard." Sadly, no mention of a Maestro card (or is that a Eurocard? - I wouldn't know that one!!). So your borrowing of a Visa may be beneficial. However, I would beware of security measures when using the card in this country. It is fairly tight here now and you may have to draw cash on it. Something for you think about.

Hope that helped..

OK everyone...

Here's an update to the happenings for the Wall Meet in July... I will be chasing everyone up with bookings for the hotel so can everyone PLEASE come back asap with a definite yes or no about coming to this event. I know a lot of you have said yes but one never knows with life...

This will be to give the hotel some idea of what to expect and what rooms we can have. Some sharing MAY be advisable but that can be asked about by The Augusta very shortly. Hopefully the most honourable lady will post her findings here for us. I will now contact her with a view to get us going with arrangements, itinerary and other essential details.

Those who may be travelling with a partner need to let us know that too of course. We also need to remind those who were going to do talks on the Wall or related subjects to let me know what they plan to talk about and they should try and keep this to a twenty minute thing or thereabouts. I would like to keep these talks Wall related as much as possible for obvious reasons but will vet them to see that they don't overlap anyone elses plans. 'Vetting' may be a strong word to use here but hopefully you know what I mean.

Speakers were to be myself, The Augusta, Northern Neil and Caldrail. That may change but as yet it seems to be a goer. If anyone else wishes to contribute please let me know. The weekend is a learning exercise and is hopefully a fun one to boot. So don't be shy.

Right... I await your replies..... (dates of July 25 to 27 were chosen).