UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
longshotgene

Where would you have lived in the Roman Empire?

Say you were living during the Pax Romana. Where would you have called your home? I would have called Brindisi my home. Beautiful country with an easy going atmosphere.

According to my latitude game, I would wind up living just a degree below Rome. Although Pantagathus has given me the additional options of living in Conimbriga (Lusitania), Oleastrum (Hispania), and Erycinum (Sardinia).

-- Nephele

In Rome. In my Imperial Palace of course!

Edited by G-Manicus

Say you were living during the Pax Romana. Where would you have called your home? I would have called Brindisi my home. Beautiful country with an easy going atmosphere.

Salve, LS.

I would have liked to be part of the first Constantinopolitan generation.

Salve, LS.

I would have liked to be part of the first Constantinopolitan generation.

Alexandria, to sit in the library for hours on end

Alexandria! So much cleaner and better planned than Rome. The broad streets designed to catch the Etesian winds when they blow in the summer. Not one but two great libraries, one a the Museum and the 'annex' at the Serapeum. The Caesarium, the Poseidium and of course the great lighthouse on Pharos island. A large Jewish population that for the most part got on with its Greek, Roman and Egyptian neighbours. No problem with wheat shortage and plenty of Mareoticum, one of the nicest wines in the Empire.

On the Nile trade route as well as the Silk Road, so lacking for no goods or food. Only problem is more of them understood Greek than Latin!

I would have barricaded myself in the Temple of Jupiter, and issued orders to my 'friends' to arrange things according to my outlook. Occasionally I would visit the Rostra and have the crowd chant to the rhythm of my toga tugs. Also, I would prosecute any who tried to emulate me!

Well as a Centurio I guess I'd be on the move for most of the time :whistling:

Anyway i actually think I would have picked Pompeii if I'm allowed to miss that incident 79 A.D. It could be potentially unhealthy!

I second that.

I second that.

I third that! For the great libraries there, and also for all the reasons Flavia Gemina cited above. :angry:

-- Nephele

Well, Alexandria does have it's incredible draws...but I'd probably either be in the lands of my (modern) ancestors: Mediolanum (aka Milan) or Genua (aka Genoa). I probably would also be found in the place in Hispania which has stolen my heart: Lucentum (aka Alicante).

Alexandria is very tempting for the culture ... though Egypt seems insufferably hot.

I imagine southern Gaul and northern Italy would also be nice .... highly Romanized, wealthy, and beautiful scenery. Not too far from Rome if you have to make a business trip or sightseeing trip.