UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
longshotgene

Where would you have lived in the Roman Empire?

I

Alexandria is very tempting for the culture ... though Egypt seems insufferably hot.

Not substantially hotter than the Holy Land. I know because I've been to both places. Heck, I remember being in good ol' Roma in July of 1980 and having two scorch marks on my cheeks because the Italian sun had heated up my metal eyeglass frames. If you lived in Alexandria you might have even enjoyed the pleasant sea-breezes!

Alexandria is very tempting for the culture ... though Egypt seems insufferably hot.

Not substantially hotter than the Holy Land. I know because I've been to both places. Heck, I remember being in good ol' Roma in July of 1980 and having two scorch marks on my cheeks because the Italian sun had heated up my metal eyeglass frames. If you lived in Alexandria you might have even enjoyed the pleasant sea-breezes!

Alexandria was built specifically to enjoy the Etesian Winds, as I mentioned! The grid of the street plan was laid out to exactly catch this wind which blew from the northwest in summer.

As Diodorus says: Alexander laid out the streets with considerable care and skill by selecting the right angle of the steeets to coincide exactly with the direction of the Etesian winds, which grow across a great expanse of sea, so that the winds would be able to pass between the buildings of the future city and provide its inhabitants with cool air in the summer, a moderate climate and good health.

The climate was totally unlike the rest of Egypt and it was one of Alexandria's biggest selling-points!

littlescribescover.jpg

It so looks like a Mediterannean town that there is a white wine (very inexpensive, not a cork but a screw on cap) that shows a likeness of Caerwent on its label, so I like to have it around to show it as a segue to my pep talk on little V.S. and Ancient Rome and its benediction on the tribes.

BTW - That white wine is called WILD ISLAND . . .

It so looks like a Mediterannean town that there is a white wine (very inexpensive, not a cork but a screw on cap) that shows a likeness of Caerwent on its label, so I like to have it around to show it as a segue to my pep talk on little V.S. and Ancient Rome and its benediction on the tribes.

BTW - That white wine is called WILD ISLAND . . .

Screw-on caps are the 'in' thing now.

Where is Praebitorae? She is one of yours and speaks Welsh.

Where is Praebitorae? She is one of yours and speaks Welsh.

I've noticed that. There is also in Geology a Time Period named the Silurian Period.

This comes from the location of modern discovery more than any popularity of the tribe except perhaps that of a certain geologist by the name of Sir Roderick Impey Murchison who named it. But it still gives it historical relevance to those who watch names.

Ydw..Ydijch chi ?

It's unpolaite to exclude others by using a alien language withoud trans.

"Yes Iam ,are you?." ;)

Only in my dreams. :lol:

(but let's see) Does the cognomen (agnomen?) Wryghta connect?

--------------------

Faustus

I Yam What I Yam . . . (Popeye the Sailor-Man)

Oooh maybe Rome but I owuld have lived in squalor probaly. Maybe Illyria

vtc

I always fancied Tusculum would be a pleasant suburb of Roma.

Looking in my Barrington Atlas I can even locate where my villa might be...there is a cluster of them just to the north and west of the town proper on the slopes of the Alban hills.

If I couldn't have lived in Rome itself I would choose Syria. Don't ask me why - I just have a fascination for the place - and I must indulge in a deeper study of the province. Alexandria would have had its attractions, but I have this weird antipathy to Egypt that is totally irrational and must be linked to something in a past life :D

But there is something about Syria for me. It speaks of luxury and indolence; of naughty boys and sumptuous girls; of gorgeous fabrics and rich decor; languid heat and constant trade. I'm almost afraid to research the province, just in case my illusions are shattered!

Edited by The Augusta

I think I would like to live in Roman Carthage. It was a big city with all the entertainment a big city could offer, but not quite as huge and intimidating as Rome. Also with the great port there, you could travel anywhere in the Roman world.

I