UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
longshotgene

Where would you have lived in the Roman Empire?

I would have to say Ostia. Fortunately I visited there on my last trip to Rome in March 2005. It seems to me that you could get all the good stuff about Rome but in a better environment. For one, I wouldn't have to deal with as many people. Secondly, from what I here the place was very wealthy which one can see just walking through the old ruins. I wanted to say Rome because it is my favorite place in the world, but Ostia I think would have been more peaceful and if I had wanted to go the Rome it wouldn't be that long of a trip up the road or river...

However, it does depend on the time period...during the late 1st or early 2nd century then most definitely Ostia. However if it was say after the capital was moved eastward, then I would say Constantinople.

Edited by Domitianus3

When not in my house on the palatine hill I'd probably spend most of my time at my villa in Stabiae over looking the bay of Naples. (pre Vesuvius obviously!!)

I would live in the ruins of Alba Longa in a rude hut as a cynic philosopher.

I would live in Rome on the Palatine and I would not be a slave. (Stuck up aren't I) :)

I'd want to be in the middle of the Action: Rome. Places like Alexandria have would be nice but I would give anything to be at a Speech by Caesar or Cicero in the Forum.

I would probably live near my ancestral home in Regium (modern day Reggio Emila), on the via Aemilia, near the ancient towns of Parma and Mutina (Modena).

Interestingly, Lucius Vorenus, one of the main characters from HBO's Rome was from that area.

It is a rich agricultural area near the Po river, in the rich plains between the Alps and Apennine mountains.

Sadly, it was the site of many barbarian invasions throughout its history.

guy also known as gaius

Edited by guy

Rome first choice, When you don't have internet or t.v. the only good entertainment is politics. But for summer vacations probably Caesarea Maritima

around 100 AD in southern Noricum, I could have had a roman lifestyle and kept celtic traditions at the same time, i would be far away from all the troublesome borders and enjoy life :)

I don't care much for post-Republican Rome. Post Carthage and pre-Sulla/Marius, I would have lived in Rome on the Mons Palatinus from about October until March or April, then Surrentum and Capri in late spring and summer. I need to socialize and Rome would have been the place!

Edited by Vipsania

Anywhere near an amphitheater ;-)