UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Percentage of Female Membership in UNRV

In yet another one of my perhaps useless pursuits of statistical trivia, I thought I'd find out what the percentage of female UNRV members has been over the years, in comparison to the general UNRV population. I present the following for your amusement, illumination, etc.

While we have had thousands of visitors and casual registrants for UNRV over the years, I have limited my compiled and sorted stats to include only those members who have, as of today (October 16th, 2007), attained a minimum post count of 10 (placing them in the "plebes" or higher status category).

As of today we have a total of 13 of these members who have also indicated in their profiles that their gender is female. One, "Drusus Nero," is perhaps open to question (due to the choice of a masculine screen name). But unless Drusus Nero changes her gender status in her profile, I'll presume that she is female.

These 13 female members of UNRV represent, to date, 4.31 percent of the total number of 301 UNRV members (who fit the criteria stated above, for this purpose).

When the first of these 13, Silentium, joined UNRV in January of 2005, she represented 1.26 percent of the then total 53 members.

Next came Lost_Warrior in April of 2005, raising the female percentage to 2.53 (of 79 total members) for that month.

She was followed by docoflove1974 in February of 2006, but the female percentage had now dropped back to 1.61, as UNRV total membership had more than doubled by this point to 186.

By April of 2006, suzhannah arrived, boosting the female percentage up to 1.91 Total UNRV membership now was 209.

The arrival of miquel in August of 2006 brought the female percentage up to 2.20 -- nearly the height at which it had been when Lost_Warrior had arrived. Total UNRV membership now was 227.

Then, the following month of September, UNRV experienced a small female invasion, with the arrival of theilian, Nephele, and The Augusta. This brought UNRV's female population up to a whopping 3.37 percent of the then total members of 237.

Drusus Nero arrived in April of 2007 and, despite the fact that UNRV total membership was now at 276, the female population was pretty much holding its own with 3.26 percent of this total.

The month of June 2007 marked UNRV's second "female invasion", with the arrival of two new female members: cleopatra and Flavia Gemina. This brought the female percentage up to 3.81 (out of 288 total members).

Finally, a third "female invasion" in September of 2007 brought in an additional two new female members: Praebitorae and Agrippina of the Julii. This month represented UNRV's highest percentage for female membership (in accordance with the criteria stated above) of 4.33 percent of the then total membership of 300.

I'm sure we can expect these statistics to change over the months to come, as female registrants (along with the general UNRV population of members) attain individual post counts of 10 or higher. I may be inclined to do an update of these statistics a few months from now, if there's interest in this sort of thing.

-- Nephele

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In yet another one of my perhaps useless pursuits of statistical trivia, I thought I'd find out what the percentage of female UNRV members has been over the years, in comparison to the general UNRV population. I present the following for your amusement, illumination, etc.

While we have had thousands of visitors and casual registrants for UNRV over the years, I have limited my compiled and sorted stats to include only those members who have, as of today (October 16th, 2007), attained a minimum post count of 10 (placing them in the "plebes" or higher status category).

As of today we have a total of 13 of these members who have also indicated in their profiles that their gender is female. One, "Drusus Nero," is perhaps open to question (due to the choice of a masculine screen name). But unless Drusus Nero changes her gender status in her profile, I'll presume that she is female.

These 13 female members of UNRV represent, to date, 4.31 percent of the total number of 301 UNRV members (who fit the criteria stated above, for this purpose).

When the first of these 13, Silentium, joined UNRV in January of 2005, she represented 1.26 percent of the then total 53 members.

Next came Lost_Warrior in April of 2005, raising the female percentage to 2.53 (of 79 total members) for that month.

She was followed by docoflove1974 in February of 2006, but the female percentage had now dropped back to 1.61, as UNRV total membership had more than doubled by this point to 186.

By April of 2006, suzhannah arrived, boosting the female percentage up to 1.91 Total UNRV membership now was 209.

The arrival of miquel in August of 2006 brought the female percentage up to 2.20 -- nearly the height at which it had been when Lost_Warrior had arrived. Total UNRV membership now was 227.

Then, the following month of September, UNRV experienced a small female invasion, with the arrival of theilian, Nephele, and The Augusta. This brought UNRV's female population up to a whopping 3.37 percent of the then total members of 237.

Drusus Nero arrived in April of 2007 and, despite the fact that UNRV total membership was now at 276, the female population was pretty much holding its own with 3.26 percent of this total.

The month of June 2007 marked UNRV's second "female invasion", with the arrival of two new female members: cleopatra and Flavia Gemina. This brought the female percentage up to 3.81 (out of 288 total members).

Finally, a third "female invasion" in September of 2007 brought in an additional two new female members: Praebitorae and Agrippina of the Julii. This month represented UNRV's highest percentage for female membership (in accordance with the criteria stated above) of 4.33 percent of the then total membership of 300.

I'm sure we can expect these statistics to change over the months to come, as female registrants (along with the general UNRV population of members) attain individual post counts of 10 or higher. I may be inclined to do an update of these statistics a few months from now, if there's interest in this sort of thing.

-- Nephele

The female presence seems higher to me... especially in the equestrian and higher member groups? Perhaps you ladies are simply more vocal... Shocking I know!!! :shocking::whistling:

Are the female members still technically their husbands' or paterfamilias' property ?

You might get better results if you do the 'Patricii' count. :whistling:

Yes, the ladies definitely have better representation in the upper ranks of UNRV. Of the total 14 Triumviri, Legati, and Patricii, 4 of these (representing 28.57 percent of the total) are female.

I would have liked to have included UNRV member Julia Caesaris Filia Principis in these stats (she joined in April of 2006 and is a member of the Equites), but she never indicated in her profile that she is of the female gender. I suppose I could simply assume that she's female for the purpose of inclusion. And, maybe the next time I do these, I shall include her.

Are the female members still technically their husbands' or paterfamilias' property ?

*Nephele picks up her distaff, regards Pertinax with narrowed eyes, and contemplates where to put the distaff...*

-- Nephele

Salve, Amici.

For the record, I have just changed my UNRV gender status from the "unsettled" to the "male" position.

(I suppose there may be a couple of other underreported lazy males)

:whistling:

Not a problem, Asclepiades. I didn't separate the males, as I did the females, when compiling these stats. I merely compared the total females to the total membership (males, females, and unspecified gender included).

And, yes, PP, I guess we feminae are pretty vocal. We've got to be, to stand out amongst all you toga-clad and armor-clad types. :shocking:

-- Nephele

Well statistics are always fun! I used to administrate a rather large invasion board (1 million posts and 10.000 members +) and I was constantly looking on the stats for posts, new members etc etc.

I must say I'm rather surprised at the very low number of female members. You indeed make it up with your vocal skills though!

Well statistics are always fun! I used to administrate a rather large invasion board (1 million posts and 10.000 members +) and I was constantly looking on the stats for posts, new members etc etc.

I must say I'm rather surprised at the very low number of female members. You indeed make it up with your vocal skills though!

True, but there may always be some underreported females too.

True, but there may always be some underreported females too.

Even so I would guess at a number far greater then 4.33%. My guess would have gone at something like no less then 30-35%.

Even so I would guess at a number far greater then 4.33%. My guess would have gone at something like no less then 30-35%.

I went back into the board statistics and this time excluded from the total population all registered members who had not set their gender in their profiles. Results (for members with a minimum of 10 postings) were: 64 males; 13 females -- with the females representing 16.88 percent of the total.

Then I did the stats to include all indicated male and female members, regardless of post count (including those who had registered and never posted on the board). The results were: 92 males; 26 females -- with females representing 22.03 percent of the total.

Somewhat higher, but still less than a quarter of the total population (of those who indicated their gender).

-- Nephele

*Nephele picks up her distaff, regards Pertinax with narrowed eyes, and contemplates where to put the distaff...*

-- Nephele

It's of no gravity. He's from Rhaetia, you know. :whistling:

:shocking:

-- Nephele

It's of no gravity. He's from Rhaetia, you know. :whistling:

:shocking:

My enquiry stemmed from the purely altruistic thought, that GO might need my help in negotiating for the hand of a young Lady of Noble Birth ( I could advise him on appropriate behaviour and bribes etc).

Nephele, do your calculations give any hint as to age distribution versus gender? I would not of course expect any Lady to provide her age save only for the good of the Imperium.

My enquiry stemmed from the purely altruistic thought, that GO might need my help in negotiating for the hand of a young Lady of Noble Birth ( I could advise him on appropriate behaviour and bribes etc).

Nephele, do your calculations give any hint as to age distribution versus gender? I would not of course expect any Lady to provide her age save only for the good of the Imperium.

He's from Rhaetia. Probably inhaling the fumes of a Perfect Patented Pertimaxus. :whistling:

Don't need no help from a Rhaetian in re The beautiful Young Lady of Noble Birth. :no2:

:ph34r:

Edited by Gaius Octavius