UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Percentage of Female Membership in UNRV

My enquiry stemmed from the purely altruistic thought, that GO might need my help in negotiating for the hand of a young Lady of Noble Birth ( I could advise him on appropriate behaviour and bribes etc).

Ah, of course! Forgive me for suspecting your motives! :whistling:

Nephele, do your calculations give any hint as to age distribution versus gender? I would not of course expect any Lady to provide her age save only for the good of the Imperium.

The board statistics feature doesn't give age as a search and filter option. But ages listed in individual profiles range from "1 year old" (me!) to "99 years old" (suzhannah) -- with representative ages for every intervening decade.

So, you're spoilt for choice. :ph34r:

-- Nephele

The distinct lack of comely females involved in Romanophilia has been the bane of my life. Hard to find a date, you know, that wants to talk about the Principate.

I have noticed more females involved in Hellenophile and Egyptophile circles. Much of Romanophilia seems revolve around the military, which is not traditionally a female topic. I suspect that may be a contributing factor in all this.

Hard to find a date, you know, that wants to talk about the Principate.

I can assure you, Ursus - it is not a one way street! :whistling: Of course, there is always the odd man who has actually heard of Julius Caesar and Caligula - but you would be surprised what blank looks follow the introduction of the name 'Augustus'. And I am NOT joking!

But you made a very good point regarding the huge interest in the Roman military. We gals tend not to get too involved in that - although Lost Warrior will stand her corner, I'm sure. It is sometimes a stumbling block.

The distinct lack of comely females involved in Romanophilia has been the bane of my life. Hard to find a date, you know, that wants to talk about the Principate.

I have noticed more females involved in Hellenophile and Egyptophile circles. Much of Romanophilia seems revolve around the military, which is not traditionally a female topic. I suspect that may be a contributing factor in all this.

I. Stop taking them to jernts.

II. Fill them with champagne.

III. Talk about Messalina.

IV. Lie a lot; promise them a trip to Rome. That works, believe me.

:whistling:

I can assure you, Ursus - it is not a one way street! :no2: Of course, there is always the odd man who has actually heard of Julius Caesar and Caligula - but you would be surprised what blank looks follow the introduction of the name 'Augustus'. And I am NOT joking!

Oh, yeah, sure man, like man, (Kali4kneeya twaddle), you have to worry about guys! IRIS - Imperial Roman Intelligence Service - has been keeping an eye on you. You hook them with football! :whistling:

:ph34r:

Edited by Gaius Octavius

But you made a very good point regarding the huge interest in the Roman military. We gals tend not to get too involved in that -

One of the many, many reasons I try to promote the softer side of Classical civilization.

...Let alone finding a guy who isn't intimidated when you show that you are highly knowledgeable about a somewhat (or very) academic area...

Anyway...I believe that the female attraction to Hellenic and Egyptian studies centers on the religions, literature...the cultural side of it. Whereas Romans are somehow remembered for their wars and politics, the Greeks (or, specifically, the Athenians and a few others) are remembered as people of culture, and the Egyptians are remembered as being exotic. Personally, I find the Roman culture to be as intriguing as the others, if not more so; the language is clearly a fascination of mine, or its evolution.

Nomina Domina,

To assist in your enterprise I

I can assure you, Ursus - it is not a one way street! :disgust: Of course, there is always the odd man who has actually heard of Julius Caesar and Caligula - but you would be surprised what blank looks follow the introduction of the name 'Augustus'.

Who? :)

That's excellent, Pan! (Hmm... Trust you to have had all these dialogs with the ladies! :disgust:)

Really, it's just that I have been an acutely aware Legate... :)

I just came across this, and I am indeed quite female!

We've got you, Violentilla! :no2:

With thanks to Pantagathus and Gaius Paulinus Maximus, I've been able to include a few more names of female UNRV members (who had not indicated their gender in their profiles). Here are the revised statistics.***

The first line in each grouping states the month and year in which UNRV received new female members. The second line in each grouping names those new members. The third line in each grouping shows the percentage of female membership for UNRV from its inception up through that month and year, as well as the total membership. See NOTE below.

January, 2005

Silentium, Crysnia

3.77% of 53 total members

February, 2005

Lacertus

4.91% of 61 total members

April, 2005

Lost_Warrior

5.06% of 79 total members

October, 2005

Violentilla, Messalina Mommsen, sullafelix, emperess

5.75% of 139 total members

November, 2005

claudia

5.88% of 153 total members

February, 2006

Kathleenb, docoflove1974

5.91% of 186 total members

March, 2006

Aphrodite

6.06% of 198 total members

April, 2006

Ginevra, Julia Caesaris Filia Principis, suzhannah

7.17% of 209 total members

May, 2006

Gini

7.44% of 215 total members

July, 2006

Jasminia

7.76% of 219 total members

August, 2006

miquel

7.92% of 227 total members

September, 2006

theilian, Nephele, The Augusta

8.86% of 237 total members

April, 2007

Drusus Nero

7.97% of 276 total members

June, 2007

Flavia Gemina, cleopatra

8.33% of 288 total members

July, 2007

Octavia

8.53% of 293 total members

September, 2007

Agrippina of the Julii, Praebitorae

9% of 300 total members

***NOTE: While UNRV has had thousands of visitors and casual registrants over the years, I have limited my statistics for this purpose to include only those active members who have, as of October 16th, 2007, attained a minimum post count of 10 (placing them in the "Plebes" or higher status category). I am sure we can expect these statistics to change over the months to come, as female registrants (along with the general UNRV population of members) attain individual post counts of 10 or higher.

-- Nephele