UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Violentilla

Fontinalia, Clarksville TN (USA)

On Saturday, a.d. II Idus Oct., six citizens of the province Austrorientalis (NOVA ROMA)

attended the Legio V Alaudae Roman Festivus in Clarksville,

Tennessee, at the Austin Peay State University campus. Those

attending were Violentilla Galeria Saltarix, T. Galerius Malleolus,

Mania Galeria Corvina, her daughter, Aula Galeria Renata, and

myself.

Members of the Legio V Alaudae (Knoxville, TN) and Legio VI Ferrata

(Beaufort, SC) were present under the command of centurions, Bob

Wear and Rusty Myers. Total troop strength was about 10-12 milites,

1 standard-bearer, and the 2 centurions. The Soul of the Warrior

and Legio V also set up as vendors.

America Austrorientalis set up a tent displaying aspects from the

Religio Romana and Roman domestic life. The former featured an

altar set before our tent near a bronze cauldron representing a

fountain or well. The latter included samples of common Celtic &

Roman foods--lentils, millet, barley, oats, turnips, onions, garlic,

oatcakes, and two types of bread--along with moretum (garlic, herb,

and cheese pate), samit (Celtic curds with garlic & dill), honey

butter, and garbanzo & sesame spread (hummus). The bread & side

dishes was sampled freely by the participants and spectators much to

their general enjoyment. Many Nova Roma flyers were distributed.

Apart from demonstrations of Roman military & domestic arts and the

munera (gladitorial games), the provincials held a religion ceremony

at 1:30 p.m. to celebrate the Meditrinalia and Fontinalia.

1577889544_f5ccf498bf_o.jpg

(I'm the one in the blue palla)

Valete Optime!

Violentilla Galeria Saltatrix

N. B. I will post some pictures of the soldiers and barbarians elsewhere in the forum.

That is so cool! Is this an official 'club', or a group of people/friends who are interested in Roman culture, etc.? Have you involved faculty (I bet they would be very interested in working in some angles)?

That is so cool! Is this an official 'club', or a group of people/friends who are interested in Roman culture, etc.? Have you involved faculty (I bet they would be very interested in working in some angles)?

The soldiers are in their respective legios, and we (the Religio folks) are in NOVA ROMA (novaroma.org). Though I should be clear that we are friends outside of NR, with a common interest in Roman history and religion. most of NR does not go to regular functions like this, but we enjoy getting out and doing things like this.

The Classics dept at the university had a few people there, but I'm not sure if they had a lot to do with getting this going.

Edited by Violentilla

Between what I saw here and with the other thread, it still looks like a good gathering of folks. For the next trip, you might want to 'advertise' (fliers, etc.) with the Classics dept...might get more students and faculty involved, if only to watch the festivities.

Between what I saw here and with the other thread, it still looks like a good gathering of folks. For the next trip, you might want to 'advertise' (fliers, etc.) with the Classics dept...might get more students and faculty involved, if only to watch the festivities.

I had nothing to do with running or planning this, the soldiers were going and contacted us about setting up a booth and doing a rite for the masses. I was actually concerned that we would get bibles thrown at us, but they all seemed to understand that it was a historical thing.

Just a minor bookkeeping note: Since this deals with modern practice rather than history per se, I am sending it to the afterhours forum. Cheers.

Just a minor bookkeeping note: Since this deals with modern practice rather than history per se, I am sending it to the afterhours forum. Cheers.

I really hate for it to get buried, and we do this sort of thing often - I was excited about having a place to share the festivals that we do. It is a historically based re-enactment of the ritual, other than my reworking of Horace's poem - which could really be considered a translation of a translation. I hope you will reconsider, since it is pertinent to the Religio forum.

Well, whether its Christianity or Paganism, on the religion folder we generally try to keep things objective, historical and academic rather than personal. While some of us are practicing pagans, this is more of an educational site - unlike, for instance, your Nova Roma, which claims to exist specifically to recreate Rome and its "state" religion.

As for myself, I think getting into personal, modern involvements in faith could open a can of worms - especially when devout Monotheists appear to convert us to their way of thinking (it has been known to happen on this site, much to my annoyance). However, I invite the other Legati and the Triumviri to weigh in on this, and if I am overruled by them then I will bow to their collective counsel.

Well, whether its Christianity or Paganism, on the religion folder we generally try to keep things objective, historical and academic rather than personal. While some of us are practicing pagans, this is more of an educational site - unlike, for instance, your Nova Roma, which claims to exist specifically to recreate Rome and its "state" religion.

As for myself, I think getting into personal, modern involvements in faith could open a can of worms - especially when devout Monotheists appear to convert us to their way of thinking (it has been known to happen on this site, much to my annoyance). However, I invite the other Legati and the Triumviri to weigh in on this, and if I am overruled by them then I will bow to their collective counsel.

Just to clarify - this was a historical event, and a presentation of a historic ritual. Being in Nova Roma has nothing whatever to do with anyone's personal religion.

Now, I do perform historically accurate rites on my land, in a historically prepared shrine, as a state ritual for NR, as well as to fulfill my personal duties to the gods. I would like very much to know if posting these is going to be an issue. I actually asked about this already, and everyone seemed to be quite keen on the idea, by the way:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=69951

Just to clarify - this was a historical event, and a presentation of a historic ritual. Being in Nova Roma has nothing whatever to do with anyone's personal religion.

Now, I do perform historically accurate rites on my land, in a historically prepared shrine, as a state ritual for NR, as well as to fulfill my personal duties to the gods. I would like very much to know if posting these is going to be an issue. I actually asked about this already, and everyone seemed to be quite keen on the idea, by the way:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=69951

I remember that posting, and I was keen to see more, too. (Still am! These were great!)

But I did ask at the time whether you might be planning to put this in your blog:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=69953

Other forum members have posted re-enactment event pictures (with commentary) in the Gallery. Pertinax, for example, frequently posts Roman re-enactment events in his Gallery albums. Lost_Warrior keeps us updated with her amazing smithing via her UNRV blog.

I can understand your concern about your event and pictures getting buried here in the After Hours forum. But as a member of the Equites, you're entitled to your personal UNRV blog and gallery albums.

And, as a note to other forum members -- do check out the UNRV Gallery. (You'll find the links to Gallery and Blogs at the top of the screen). There's an amazing wealth of members' personal, Roman-related photographic material in the Gallery.

-- Nephele

Other forum members have posted re-enactment event pictures (with commentary) in the Gallery. Pertinax, for example, frequently posts Roman re-enactment events in his Gallery albums. Lost_Warrior keeps us updated with her amazing smithing via her UNRV blog.

I can understand your concern about your event and pictures getting buried here in the After Hours forum. But as a member of the Equites, you're entitled to your personal UNRV blog and gallery albums.

And, as a note to other forum members -- do check out the UNRV Gallery. (You'll find the links to Gallery and Blogs at the top of the screen). There's an amazing wealth of members' personal, Roman-related photographic material in the Gallery.

-- Nephele

I didn't know there were blogs, and never have looked at them or noticed them at UNRV. I'd rather just post them in the forum, but if that's where they are supposed to go, I'll consider doing that. I have a livejournal already though, and would probably not keep up with another blog very well.

Edited by Violentilla

After consideration, the moderators and administrators decided that reconstructions or reenactments of Ancient Rome and its culture did not meet with the spirit of existing historical forums.

However, it was felt that reenactment/reconstruction is certainly a valid field in Romanophilia. We thus created a subfolder for it. It is attached to the Legion folder as most reconstruction or reenactment is military in nature, but your post on religious rituals are welcome here.

As a note to the general public, however, one thing we are not interested in are any claims of "micro-nation" status - that is to say internet organizations that place a special claim of independent political authority would not be allowed to proclaim their sovereignty here.