UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
M. Porcius Cato

Pullo and Vorenus

Interesting. Back to the show, when Vorenus ran for a magistracy, he responded to a heckler ("Go back to Gaul, Gingernut!") by saying "I'll not deny, friend, I have a Gallic look about me, but I'm as solid a Roman as anyone!" Might be the motto of Legio XI.

There seem to be an inconcistence here since Vorenus claim in the second episode that his ancestors fought in battles of Zama and Magnesia.

Not an inconsistency in the show, though. If I were to finish the Vorenus quote, it would be "...I'm as solid a Roman as anyone! I've fought for Rome. My father fought for Rome, as did his father and his father before him. My wife was born here on the Aventine ..." That's from memory, but I'll bet I'm pretty close.

Rome occupied Cisalpine Gaul in 203 BC, the battles of Zama and Magnesia took place in 202 BC and 190 BC. I having a hard time to believe that his Gaulish ancestors held a roman citizenship at that time so they could be part of the roman army and fought in Zama, thought it's possibly about Magnesia.

Rome occupied Cisalpine Gaul in 203 BC, the battles of Zama and Magnesia took place in 202 BC and 190 BC. I having a hard time to believe that his Gaulish ancestors held a roman citizenship at that time so they could be part of the roman army and fought in Zama, thought it's possibly about Magnesia.

Right, but what Vorenus was emphasizing was that while he LOOKED Gallic, he WAS Roman. So I don't see the inconsistency--at least within the context of the show.

Right, but what Vorenus was emphasizing was that while he LOOKED Gallic, he WAS Roman. So I don't see the inconsistency--at least within the context of the show.

And there were family names like Flavius (meaning blond-haired) that clearly indicate that not all Romans were necessarily the stereotypical dark haired Italian. Not that hair color alone would make someone look "Gallic", but it provides a decent example that there is enough historical realism for the appearance of Vorenus in the show.