UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
M. Porcius Cato

Pullo and Vorenus

In the HBO/BBC production of "Rome," the messy transition from republic to principate is dramatized from the point-of-view of the characters Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo. What do the ancient sources have to say about these two characters?

The first mention of Vorenus and Pullo comes in Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic War (5.44), where their personal rivalry for the post of primus pilus is depicted as benefitting the larger republic:

In that legion there were two very brave men, centurions, who were now approaching the first ranks, T. Pulfio, and L. Varenus. These used to have continual disputes between them which of them should be preferred, and every year used to contend for promotion with the utmost animosity. When the fight was going on most vigorously before the fortifications, Pulfio, one of them, says, "Why do you hesitate, Varenus? or what [better] opportunity of signalizing your valor do you seek? This very day shall decide our disputes." When he had uttered these words, he proceeds beyond the fortifications, and rushes on that part of the enemy which appeared the thickest. Nor does Varenus remain within the rampart, but respecting the high opinion of all, follows close after. Then, when an inconsiderable space intervened, Pulfio throws his javelin at the enemy, and pierces one of the multitude who was running up, and while the latter was wounded and slain, the enemy cover him with their shields, and all throw their weapons at the other and afford him no opportunity of retreating. The shield of Pulfio is pierced and a javelin is fastened in his belt. This circumstance turns aside his scabbard and obstructs his right hand when attempting to draw his sword: the enemy crowd around him when [thus] embarrassed. His rival runs up to him and succors him in this emergency. Immediately the whole host turn from Pulfio to him, supposing the other to be pierced through by the javelin. Varenus rushes on briskly with his sword and carries on the combat hand to hand, and having slain one man, for a short time drove back the rest: while he urges on too eagerly, slipping into a hollow, he fell. To him, in his turn, when surrounded, Pulfio brings relief; and both having slain a great number, retreat into the fortifications amid the highest applause. Fortune so dealt with both in this rivalry and conflict, that the one competitor was a succor and a safeguard to the other, nor could it be determined which of the two appeared worthy of being preferred to the other

This much is true to the spirit of their depiction in the television series, with Vorenus, the 'strict Catonian', playing the foil to the fun-loving if violently impulsive Pullo. In one episode, "Titus Pullo Brings Down the Republic," Pullo starts a riot at a critical juncture because he gets in a fight with Pompey's men.

So much has been covered elsewhere in this forum. What I found interesting, however, was Caesar's later mention of Pullo in his Commentaries on the Civil War (3.67). Here, we learn that Pullo has brought his men to the republican cause and fights bravely against Caesar's men!

Caesar's scouts brought him word that the standard of a legion was carried to this place. That the same thing was seen he was assured by those in the higher forts. This place was a half a mile distant from Pompey's new camp. Caesar, hoping to surprise this legion, and anxious to repair the loss sustained that day, left two cohorts employed in the works to make an appearance of intrenching himself, and by a different route, as privately as he could, with his other cohorts amounting to thirty-three, among which was the ninth legion, which had lost so many centurions, and whose privates were greatly reduced in number, he marched in two lines against Pompey's legion and his lesser camp. Nor did this first opinion deceive him. For he reached the place before Pompey could have notice of it; and though the works were strong, yet having made the attack with the left wing which he commanded in person, he obliged the Pompeians to quit the rampart in disorder. A barricade had been raised before the gates, at which a short contest was maintained, our men endeavoring to force their way in, and the enemy to defend the camp; Titus Pulcio, by whose means we have related that Caius Antonius's army was betrayed, defending them with singular courage. But the valor of our men prevailed, and having cut down the barricade, they first forced the greater camp, and after that the fort which was inclosed within it; and as the legion on its repulse had retired to this, they slew several defending themselves there.

One other discrepancy: both Pullo and Vorenus were centurions in Legio XI and not Legio XIII. In the wars depicted in HBO/BBC Rome, both legions had fought at Dyrrachium (where they were defeated by Pompey) and at Pharsalus (where Pompey was the defeated), but Legio XIII was present at Thapsus, whereas Legio XI was present at Philippi.

In the HBO/BBC production of "Rome," the messy transition from republic to principate is dramatized from the point-of-view of the characters Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo. What do the ancient sources have to say about these two characters?

Nice work and thanks M.P.C.

Me-thinks we can expect too much from the producers of movies. The producers needed to pull some names out of history to intrigue those like this forum

Thanks, MPC for providing that primary source material and the interesting overview of Rome's principal characters!

I find the spelling variations of Pullo's name in these sources to be especially interesting. Can we presume that "Pulfio" and "Pulcio" might be the result of transcription errors over the centuries?

While Kajanto, in his work on Latin cognomina, makes no mention of the names Pulfio or Pulcio, he does include the names Pullo and Pul(l)io, which are found in volumes I and IX of the Corpus inscriptionum Latinarum.

According to Kajanto, the meaning of these names (Pullo, Pulio, Pullio) suggest "childhood". Which, coincidentally, describes the basic character of Titus Pullo in the Rome television series, as he's depicted as being somewhat innocently childlike and uncomplicated in his loyalty.

-- Nephele

Me-thinks we can expect too much from the producers of movies. The producers needed to pull some names out of history to intrigue those like this forum

According to Kajanto, the meaning of these names (Pullo, Pulio, Pullio) suggest "childhood". Which, coincidentally, describes the basic character of Titus Pullo in the Rome television series, as he's depicted as being somewhat innocently childlike and uncomplicated in his loyalty.

Neat observation. And what of Vorenus?

Neat observation. And what of Vorenus?

Thanks. But I'm afraid I can't make as neat a coincidental connection between the meaning of the name Vorenus and the personality quirks of his character in Rome. Kajanto suggests that the cognomen "Varanus" (and, by association, Varenus/Vorenus) is derived from the place-name Varae in Dalmatia.

-- Nephele

Where was Legio XI raised? Could it be that they had a Dalmatian in their ranks?

Or a descendant of someone from Dalmatia. It would be interesting to know.

-- Nephele

Thanks, MPC for providing that primary source material and the interesting overview of Rome's principal characters!

I find the spelling variations of Pullo's name in these sources to be especially interesting. Can we presume that "Pulfio" and "Pulcio" might be the result of transcription errors over the centuries?

While Kajanto, in his work on Latin cognomina, makes no mention of the names Pulfio or Pulcio, he does include the names Pullo and Pul(l)io, which are found in volumes I and IX of the Corpus inscriptionum Latinarum.

-- Nephele

Salve -

Reading through that little book (IX to V) you recommended, Nephele, and understanding the conventions on names, which I've learned more about recently from you than I ever knew before, I have to ask a na

Where was Legio XI raised? Could it be that they had a Dalmatian in their ranks?

It was likely raised in Cisalpine Gaul (simply as a matter of proximity convenience) just prior to Caesar crossing the Alps against the Helvetii. Though Caesar himself claims it was in Italy proper...

Bellum Gallica 1.10..

For these reasons he appointed Titus Labienus, his lieutenant, to the command of the fortification which he had made. He himself proceeds to Italy by forced marches, and there levies two legions, and leads out from winter-quarters three which were wintering around Aquileia, and with these five legions marches rapidly by the nearest route across the Alps into Further Gaul.

Even so, it wouldn't be impossible for potential recruits from all over to gather when they heard that an army (and opportunity) was being raised.

-- Nephele

Salve -

Reading through that little book (IX to V) you recommended, Nephele, and understanding the conventions on names, which I've learned more about recently from you than I ever knew before, I have to ask a na

but I'd not generally limit children's potential to the sometimes limited expertise of their fathers.

Well taken, M.P.C.

But,

We need a society in which the father wants to be a good model. For the most part that was the Roman way. One in which a father first teaches a son all he can. Then at adulthood young men go out into the greater world for further education. Those without the means or interest in doing that have something to fall back on if they do push the envelope and fail or fall on hard times; Or they may simply follow in their father

Edited by Faustus

It was likely raised in Cisalpine Gaul (simply as a matter of proximity convenience) just prior to Caesar crossing the Alps against the Helvetii. Though Caesar himself claims it was in Italy proper...

Bellum Gallica 1.10..

For these reasons he appointed Titus Labienus, his lieutenant, to the command of the fortification which he had made. He himself proceeds to Italy by forced marches, and there levies two legions, and leads out from winter-quarters three which were wintering around Aquileia, and with these five legions marches rapidly by the nearest route across the Alps into Further Gaul.

Interesting. Back to the show, when Vorenus ran for a magistracy, he responded to a heckler ("Go back to Gaul, Gingernut!") by saying "I'll not deny, friend, I have a Gallic look about me, but I'm as solid a Roman as anyone!" Might be the motto of Legio XI.

Interesting. Back to the show, when Vorenus ran for a magistracy, he responded to a heckler ("Go back to Gaul, Gingernut!") by saying "I'll not deny, friend, I have a Gallic look about me, but I'm as solid a Roman as anyone!" Might be the motto of Legio XI.

There seem to be an inconcistence here since Vorenus claim in the second episode that his ancestors fought in battles of Zama and Magnesia.

There seem to be an inconcistence here since Vorenus claim in the second episode that his ancestors fought in battles of Zama and Magnesia.

Not an inconsistency in the show, though. If I were to finish the Vorenus quote, it would be "...I'm as solid a Roman as anyone! I've fought for Rome. My father fought for Rome, as did his father and his father before him. My wife was born here on the Aventine ..." That's from memory, but I'll bet I'm pretty close.