UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Militant Emperors: Discussion Tournament

Let's see if we can find out who the greatest Militant Roman Emeperor was through discussion.

How this will work- I will provide the names of two Roman Emperors that were known for their generalship, and will ask you to decide who was the better Emperor(based on their generalship). Hopefully, we will be able to decide on who the winner is through debate or discussion. The winner of the round will continue on to the next round, facing another of the militant emperors, and so on. Eventually, we should be able to narrow it down to one through our discussion, and thusly, choose a champion of all the militant emperors.

First Round: Septimius Severus vs. Constantine I

Overview of Severus: Severus' rise to power can be attributed to his victory in the Civil War that followed Commodus' murder. He led a very successful campaign against Parthia, and established a new province in Mesopotamia. The last years of his life were spent in Eboracum, fighting Caledonian tribes.

Overview of Constantine: Spent nearly half his reign as a usurper, before he could actually solidify himself as a sole ruler. His greatest military achievemants can be seen in these Civil wars, his victory over Maxentius at Milvian Bridge in 312 being the most impressive victory of his in my mind.

(Be sure you can back your selection up, as discussions will fail if you can't.)

Severus..

Not only did he 'win' the civil war by defeating Pescennius Niger and the rebellion of Clodius Albinus, but he expanded Roman authority throughout the east. He reformed the Praetorian guard, a necessary event after the murder of Pertinax, and increased the urban cohorts. He also increased the standard pay of legionaries and allowed them to marry officially for the first time. These acts, though expensive, increased military moral and helped stabilize a situation that was on the brink of collapse.

Though Constantine is ultimately more recognized for his reshaping of the religious atmosphere and his stabilization of the empire, I think that Severus proved his generalship simply through his life as a career general and his many campaigns. Constantine's victory over Maxentius at Milvian Bridge is among world history's most important battles, and victories over Licinius certainly prove Constantine's ability and eventually secured the stability of the Empire. While Constantine stands as one of the most influential leaders in history, as well as a great general, Severus' was simply a soldier. His life was being a general, and I think his campaigns outshine the success of Constantine on a pure military level.

• 1 year later...
Let's see if we can find out who the greatest Militant Roman Emeperor was through discussion.

How this will work- I will provide the names of two Roman Emperors that were known for their generalship, and will ask you to decide who was the better Emperor(based on their generalship). Hopefully, we will be able to decide on who the winner is through debate or discussion. The winner of the round will continue on to the next round, facing another of the militant emperors, and so on. Eventually, we should be able to narrow it down to one through our discussion, and thusly, choose a champion of all the militant emperors.

First Round: Septimius Severus vs. Constantine I

Overview of Severus: Severus' rise to power can be attributed to his victory in the Civil War that followed Commodus' murder. He led a very successful campaign against Parthia, and established a new province in Mesopotamia. The last years of his life were spent in Eboracum, fighting Caledonian tribes.

Overview of Constantine: Spent nearly half his reign as a usurper, before he could actually solidify himself as a sole ruler. His greatest military achievemants can be seen in these Civil wars, his victory over Maxentius at Milvian Bridge in 312 being the most impressive victory of his in my mind.

(Be sure you can back your selection up, as discussions will fail if you can't.)

This answer is not based on your question but i thought id throw it in anyway. Here is a list of my six best emporers.

1) Nerva

2) trajen

3) Hadrian

4) Antonius pius

5) Marcus Aurelius

6) Lucius verus

Edited by mquish