UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

So, what are you watching lately?

The final episode of The Sopranos aired last night here in the UK. I thought it was a brilliant finale, a suitable climax to a superb series. You can read my whole review HERE, along with the latest dozen films I've seen below.

Has anyone seen The Last Legion yet? Is there a thread?

I haven't had the heart to watch it yet, for fear of being unable to suspend reality for the entertainment of historical inaccuracy, but there is a discussion of it here. That discussion is mostly speculative though... It doesn't seem that many of us here wanted to take a chance on it.

I haven't had the heart to watch it yet, for fear of being unable to suspend reality for the entertainment of historical inaccuracy, but there is a discussion of it here. That discussion is mostly speculative though... It doesn't seem that many of us here wanted to take a chance on it.

I'm going to see it this afternoon. I will report back. But I think you are right not to get your hopes up...

I'm going to see it this afternoon. I will report back. But I think you are right not to get your hopes up...

Ben Kingsley is a fine actor anyway. Hopefully his character will overcome any other deficiencies, so yes please do let us know if there are some redeeming qualities.

Ben Kingsley is a fine actor anyway. Hopefully his character will overcome any other deficiencies, so yes please do let us know if there are some redeeming qualities.

Oh dear! Even Ben Kingsley couldn't fight his way out of the layer of cheese which envelops this film. The best thing about The Last Legion -- apart from Aishwarya Rai in a wet tunic -- was identifying the actors: 'Hey! Is that Doctor Bashir from Deep Space Nine? Look! It's Keira Knightley's boyfriend... and the brother from The Mummy... and the kid from Love, Actually. And Vorenus from HBO's Rome, scowling and growling.'

One thing it did NOT have was the least whiff of authenticity. Rome didn't feel or look like Rome. Capri was obviously half shot in Yugoslavia or somewhere eastern european and cloudy. The special effects were dire (reminiscent of sword'n'sandals epics from the 60's), the battle scenes were boring and silly... And Colin Firth as a Roman commander? No way. He looks like he's wearing a cardigan even when it's a leather cuirass.

Verdict: v. amusing (but sadly not in the way they intended)

Oh dear! Even Ben Kingsley couldn't fight his way out of the layer of cheese which envelops this film. The best thing about The Last Legion -- apart from Aishwarya Rai in a wet tunic -- was identifying the actors: 'Hey! Is that Doctor Bashir from Deep Space Nine? Look! It's Keira Knightley's boyfriend... and the brother from The Mummy... and the kid from Love, Actually. And Vorenus from HBO's Rome, scowling and growling.'

One thing it did NOT have was the least whiff of authenticity. Rome didn't feel or look like Rome. Capri was obviously half shot in Yugoslavia or somewhere eastern european and cloudy. The special effects were dire (reminiscent of sword'n'sandals epics from the 60's), the battle scenes were boring and silly... And Colin Firth as a Roman commander? No way. He looks like he's wearing a cardigan even when it's a leather cuirass.

Verdict: v. amusing (but sadly not in the way they intended)

I must admit, I haven't yet watched it - but my son enjoyed it immensely, in a Play Station game sort of way!

Love your observation about Colin Firth, Flavia. I love him to death, but even I (as besotted as I may be) cannot see him as a Roman! My son probably summed it up when he said that 'Mr. Darcy was in it' and made no further comment!

I gave up completly TV more then 3 years ago as I found it ate too much of my time. Still, when I'm in some other place and see a TV I change to Discovery too see the same documentaries they had years ago.

When I was looking at TV most I was seeing documentaries and comedies. Still, most of the time I was spending on TV I was just change chanelles. And I had to fight my wife for the remote control because we have completely different tastes. Instead of putting 2 TV's now we use none.

In the evenings I read, talk, play computer games and walk the dog.

UNRV addiction it's solved thanks to my employer...