UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Did Marius the Younger kill his commanding officer in the Social War?

G-Manicus

Sulla ... said that he was proscribing as many as he could remember, and those who now escaped his memory, he would proscribe at a future time. Plut. Sulla 31

It was fortunate for them that PP was not Sulla's secretary.

Great job indeed, PP; congratulations.

After so many lists, it's extremely hard to find mistakes at your work.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sulla ... said that he was proscribing as many as he could remember, and those who now escaped his memory, he would proscribe at a future time. Plut. Sulla 31

It was fortunate for them that PP was not Sulla's secretary.

Great job indeed, PP; congratulations.

After so many lists, it's extremely hard to find mistakes at your work.

Thank you kindly, but I'm sure there are some here... especially omissions. I bet more get hashed out as I add the next generation of names, and the historians mention names of relatives who lost lives in the Marian/Sullan conflict.

I wonder if this entire project should be merged together with MPC's nobiles in the Caesarian civil war. A comprehensive list of names and their general affiliation, how they died, etc. could prove useful. Any thoughts?

I wonder if this entire project should be merged together with MPC's nobiles in the Caesarian civil war. A comprehensive list of names and their general affiliation, how they died, etc. could prove useful. Any thoughts?

A Who's Who for these two putsches could be useful, but it's a daunting project to say the least.

A Who's Who for these two putsches could be useful, but it's a daunting project to say the least.

It could be broken down a little further. A list of victims of political murder, motives, means, and perps...

Yes, I believe that's the angle I'll take. There still may be some uncertainty in some cases, but it's far less ambitious than attempting to break down individual alliances over the course of 100 years.

It could be broken down a little further. A list of victims of political murder, motives, means, and perps...

Yes, I believe that's the angle I'll take. There still may be some uncertainty in some cases, but it's far less ambitious than attempting to break down individual alliances over the course of 100 years.

I'm in process on this, but it's even more daunting that I at first realized. From the Gracchi to the first triumvirate, I have some 90 names using mainly Appian as the source. (And I have not yet even begun to review the war with Sertorius). While I have been forced to corroborate some names via Plutarch, Livy, etc. I have not yet even begun a thorough review of each potential source.

Should I include names of people convicted of bribery or other politically motivated charges?

Ultimately that's your call as it's your sweat! If you do go that route it could develop into a lengthy document, though, it would be nice to see such with ALL politically motivated prosecutions, outcomes, etc, with a brief description of each. Needless to say whatever you go with will add to the already rich content of UNRV.