UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Gladius Hispaniensis

On substituting "C" for "G" in Latin

Ave

Why are Roman names that start with G sometimes written starting with C? Like Caius instead of Gaius? Goldsworthy is one author that I can think of that does this on a regular basis. Would it then be alright to substitute G for C? Like Glaudius for Claudius?

Ave

Why are Roman names that start with G sometimes written starting with C? Like Caius instead of Gaius? Goldsworthy is one author that I can think of that does this on a regular basis. Would it then be alright to substitute G for C? Like Glaudius for Claudius?

It's my understanding that it has to do with the phonetics of Latin. The C in Latin could represent both the K and G sounds. The hard C sound was often softened into a G sound when used in names. Thankfully this effect only seems to have taken place with praenomina. Otherwise, instead of Caesar, we'd be saying Gaesar, which simply sounds too much like Geezer. MPC might like that though :rolleyes:

Clearly my understanding is limited, so as usual, those with a better grasp are invited to expound or correct.

Ave

It's my understanding that it has to do with the phonetics of Latin. The C in Latin could represent both the K and G sounds. The hard C sound was often softened into a G sound when used in names. Thankfully this effect only seems to have taken place with praenomina. Otherwise, instead of Caesar, we'd be saying Gaesar, which simply sounds too much like Geezer. MPC might like that though :rolleyes:

Clearly my understanding is limited, so as usual, those with a better grasp are invited to expound or correct.

You've got it, PP. Not only the praenomen "Gaius" was spelled with the initial letter "c", but "Gnaeus" too, as the early Latin alphabet lacked a letter "g".

We know that "Caius" was originally pronounced with a "g" sound, however, because in Greek it was spelled with the initial letter gamma.

Later, when the letter "g" was added to the Latin alphabet, it was applied to both the praenomina "Gaius" and "Gnaeus", but traditionally they continued to be abbreviated with a "C" and "CN" respectively.

Claudius was always pronounced with a "c" (or "k") sound, and so that's why we don't see any alternate spellings of "Glaudius" for the same name.

-- Nephele