UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Faustus

Rome's Myths & Demigods

Rome

Edited by Faustus

If Romulus

Right. Plus, there is a long-standing kind of myth that involves men being 'tamed' by women. In Gilgamesh, for example, the wild-man Enkidu (who like Romulus and Remus was raised by wild animals) is tamed by a visit (of sorts) from the courtesan Shamhat.

Along similar lines I had an American history teacher in grade school who swore that the men of Jamestown were too unruly to settle Virginia until there were enough female immigrants for them to marry.

I guess the parallels to Rome and the Sabine women isn't too difficult to see. Like the wild-man Enkidu or the unruly early Virginians, the village on the Palatine was mostly just a bunch of bandits (and she-wolfs) until they settled down for the proper city life that the Sabine women might have known.

There are 2 stories for the end of Romulus. One in which he is taken up to the gods during a storm while in the other he is ripped in pieces by senators.

I think the two represent, in a metafor, the conflict beetwen divine monarchy and republicanism.

Thru paricide the romans gain control of their lives, paricide as a rebellion against authority.