UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Propaganda in the Roman Empire

Bin

I am beginning to write a thesis about the Propaganda in the Roman Empire,but it seems to be a huge topic,so anyone would like to share their opinions,viewpoints or thoughts with me how and what to write about this thesis?I also very appreciate u can recommend some good articles and books! :D

That's where I find it's so hard to write about this topic!Should I just concetrate on a specific period of time in the Roman Empire?Or better to write like a summary,look far and wide through the entire empire time?

Edited by Bin

The time frame depends on the argument ("thesis") that you want to make about propaganda. If you want to argue that the triumph was a form of propaganda directed at voters, then you have to focus on the republic, when people actually elected their officials. If you want to argue that the architecture we see today in the Forum is propaganda, then you have to show that it was designed to marble over Octavian's bloody monarchical revolution, which means you have to focus on the principate. The time frame depends entirely on what argument YOU want to make.

You also have to be more specific about what propaganda are you writting about. There were different levels from one of a commoner that is seeking higher status, someone that has a lot of power and tries to justify or glorify himself or that of Rome herself that we see made by historians and poets etc.

You may want to review this essay "Laying New Foundations" regarding Augustan propaganda as a starting point.

Froma swift glance that looks like it is an interesting encapsulisation of some of the major Augustan themes which I must find time to read myself.

As far as general works on the period are concerned some of the essays in Huskinson, J. (Ed) (2000) Experiencing Rome: Culture Identity and Power in the Roman Empire may also be appropriate dealing as it does with a range of issues on how the Romans saw themselves and what means they used to communicate those perceptions.

As, in my view, any form of communications can be seen as a form of propoganda to some extent all of the essays in Experiencing Rome depict and interpret differing forms of communications of ideas and images in the Roman Empire so may be of interest. Although possibly the second essay Richard Miles 'Communicating culture, identity and power' is most appropriate to this topic . In his essay Miles itemises five key questions to ask about any form of communication (or in this case propoganda):

The communication process involves 'Who?' 'Says what?' 'How' 'To whom?' 'With what effect?'

To that I would probably add 'with what intent?' Although to be fair Miles doesn't touch that viper's nest as that last is a question to which the answer may sometimes be irresoluble unless you know in more detail than we often have what the important events (driving forces) of the day were.

But just to itemise some of the forms of communication/propoganda that were available obviously there is Res Gestae depicting how Augustus wished to be remembered but think also of the military tombstones of the first and early second century with their supine barbarian images, commemorative images on coins, patronage messages on theatres/ other public buildings not to forget the graffiti which survive scrawled on the walls of Pompeii. These are all forms of propoganda which you could try to discuss and unpick their meaning - indeed the establishment of de novo towns throughout the Empire are another form of propoganda that can be incorporated in any essay.

Melvadius

At first,I want to thank all the people who concerned about my pid,thanks a lot for ur suggestions and ideas!Concerned about the Propaganda in the Roman Empire,most are directed to discuss the time of Augusta,seems he manipulated the methods of propaganda unttermostly,so if I just write a specific one,I should focus on his stage?And I really appreciate anyone who can give me a link to any reference books and essays,as I can not find much in local library!

Edited by Bin

Well "should focus" wouldn't be right, you should pick whatever period that you're interested in. It's a easy was to do it however to pick Augustus propaganda since it's a well explored subject already. You will have a very hard time finding anything new from it, depending on your level of ambition.

Well,I am sure the topic about Propaganda in the Roman Empire,was fully explored in the western country!But I hardly find any materials who did some research or comments on it in China PRC,so I am trying to look for some help here!I don't think I can dig out some new ideas according to my level,maybe just explain how the goverment and emperors manipulated the propaganda,and how it effected!But as my first question,what exactly does the propadana mean? :thumbsup:

Edited by Bin

Well,I am sure the topic about Propaganda in the Roman Empire,was fully explored in the western country!But I hardly find any materials who did some research or comments on it in China PRC,so I am trying to look for some help here!I don't think I can dig out some new ideas according to my level,maybe just explain how the goverment and emperors manipulated the propaganda,and how it effected!But as my first question,what exactly does the propadana mean? :thumbsup:

The simple answer about what the propoganda meant is that Augustus was in the position of having emerged as victor following a period of civil war. He had military power but probably also felt the need to take over administrative power as well as most of the military were normally kept as far away from Rome as possible.

At the time he took control according to Roman law and tradition he was very young for any position of responsibility so arranged that he be granted a number of different official and religious positions often running simultaneously so he could make use of the powers inherent with each postion. He used thes powers in totally new ways to play off his rivals against each other and to manipulate Roman law to his advantage. Look for the comments in Res Gestae where he says I held particular positions like other people but then check at what age they were nrmally held or what the 'normal' sequence of positions should have been.

My teacher suggests me to change my topic into the Monarchy ideology,so is it still the same concept,or 2 different things?

You might want to look at this book

The Power of Images in the Age of Augustus (Thomas Spencer Jerome Lectures) (Paperback)

by Paul Zanker

and this one as well

Antonia Augusta: Portrait of a Great Roman Lady by Nikos Kokkinos

and finally this one

Julius Caesar and His Public Image (Aspects of Greek and Roman life) by Zwi Yavetz

Between them they cover pretty much all the ground you need.

Probably you need to define what propaganda is. It has a negative connotation in English.

The ancient world, all over the world, was not concerned at all with our notions of objectivity, however elusive they may be.

Rulers and entire peoples felt quite comfortable with the notion that one has the right to self promotion, embellishment of facts, and even naked glorification, all at the expense of truth.

Edited by Ludovicus