UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
G-Manicus

What is the WORST Rome related movie/show you've ever seen?

Caligula has to be the worst I've seen, but then again, I haven't seen that many films about Rome that I've considered all that good. Even the series was a bit of a dog's dinner. And Gladiator? Puh-leez!

But Caligula has to take the cake. It sucked, big time. It years after that I was informed that the movie was made by Penthouse's film division. Then it all seemed to make more sense. Of course it was shite! It was never about Rome; it was about titties!

Caligula has to be the worst I've seen, but then again, I haven't seen that many films about Rome that I've considered all that good. Even the series was a bit of a dog's dinner. And Gladiator? Puh-leez!

But Caligula has to take the cake. It sucked, big time. It years after that I was informed that the movie was made by Penthouse's film division. Then it all seemed to make more sense. Of course it was shite! It was never about Rome; it was about titties!

I love Gladiator. The movie brought forth a new interest of Rome and Ancient History in General. Roman clothes on the cat walk, Gladiator sandals and more. There have been some movies, such Caesar with Jeremy Sisto, Atilla, Nero, Augustus, Nero and the Last Legion. And big budget movies, like Troy and Kingdom of Heaven. Even the Rome mini-series. Ok, some are not that good! Caligula made me sick!

I still believe that if a person sees some of these movies, and they liked them, then they will research the time period and learn the true facts, just like me. Or they will talk about it with good experts like you and the people of the forum. It seems I always put my two-sestertius in, even if the person does not care!

I'm glad that your liking the film Gladiator led you to UNRV, Ateria. Each to his or her own; I just didn't like the movie, but now I like it the more for making you interested in Rome.

I'm glad that your liking the film Gladiator led you to UNRV, Ateria. Each to his or her own; I just didn't like the movie, but now I like it the more for making you interested in Rome.

Yea, I might win you over yet!

Edited by dianamt54

I still believe that if a person sees some of these movies, and they liked them, then they will research the time period and learn the true facts, just like me.

For every person that does, there must be 10 that do not. Most people are too lazy to crack open a book.

There are still a lot of people that take "The Da Vinci Code" as gospel.

I still believe that if a person sees some of these movies, and they liked them, then they will research the time period and learn the true facts, just like me.

For every person that does, there must be 10 that do not. Most people are too lazy to crack open a book.

Congrats, dianamt; I for one am profoundly happy that you're that one in ten!

It's saddening to me that reading seems to be losing popularity with children. The majority of the kids I know fit right into that category of 'too lazy to crack open a book'. It's not Playstation's fault either; it's the parents fault! Even worse than reading "The Da Vinci Code" and taking it as gospel is watching the movie and thinking it is. I wasn't a fan of Dan Brown's book, but at least it got people reading!

Damn all crap movies to Hades, I say!

Congrats, dianamt; I for one am profoundly happy that you're that one in ten!

It's saddening to me that reading seems to be losing popularity with children. The majority of the kids I know fit right into that category of 'too lazy to crack open a book'. It's not Playstation's fault either; it's the parents fault! Even worse than reading "The Da Vinci Code" and taking it as gospel is watching the movie and thinking it is. I wasn't a fan of Dan Brown's book, but at least it got people reading!

Damn all crap movies to Hades, I say!

I know this is off topic, but "The Da Vinci Code" was an awful movie. But wait a minute, it does have something to do with Rome! All you churces in our area of Kansas had signs up saying come and learn the truth about movie. Our pastor told us not to go to it. Being as smart as my husband and I are (haha) we knew it was just a movie. On Monday after the movie tanked, all the signs were down and not a mention of it again.

My children are good readers. My oldest, Vibius Hedius Donatius, can read a book in a day. I am a slow reader. Decimus Hedius Exoratus, read in spurts.

You see, this is proof of the old adage 'Where ignorance is bliss....' I loathed 'Caligula' as much as you did, Cornelius - probably because I'm a Julio-Claudian, so I could not stand what they had done to the history etc. Now, when it came to 'Gladiator' - well I neither knew nor really cared about the first thing to do with gladiators, and I found that I actually enjoyed the damned thing! I'm not the biggest Russell Crowe fan either, but I have to say that 'I was indeed entertaned'.. I did know that quite a bit of the political history was off, but because it is a period I don't particularly love, I didn't find it as much of an affront.

Of course this proves that I am a very shallow person.... ;) But to be serious about it, I can understand why 'Gladiator' had the following it did among those who were just after a good couple of hours of entertainment.

On the other hand, I cannot imagine anyone being entertained by 'Caligula'.

I can definitely see the attractions of 'The Gladiator' - if I tune out my inner Romanophile, something I find really difficult to do when I'm watching movies were the topic is Rome or Romans. You're right that it was a great bit movie for a couple of good hours entertainment.

I think there should be some kind of disclaimer in the advertising - 'Not Historically Correct' or something like that, perhaps! :lol:

I'm a wee bit uptight when it comes to this kind of thing, though.

This one has to be on the short list:

Saturday 4/26/08

Curse of the Faceless Man (1958)

MGM - 7:25 am

A scientist's girlfriend is kidnapped by a stony Etruscan gladiator-slave found near Pompeii.

(I am sooooooooo TiVo'ing it though!)

This one has to be on the short list:

Saturday 4/26/08

Curse of the Faceless Man (1958)

MGM - 7:25 am

A scientist's girlfriend is kidnapped by a stony Etruscan gladiator-slave found near Pompeii.

(I am sooooooooo TiVo'ing it though!)

That one sounds very weird! It's like the type of film you'd expect from Troma. Hopefully it'll provide plenty of cheesy laughs.

That one sounds very weird! It's like the type of film you'd expect from Troma. Hopefully it'll provide plenty of cheesy laughs.

Yeah, its definitely got "Troma" written all over it.

I also think it sounds like fodder for the boys at MST3K:

23314jj2.jpg

Edited by G-Manicus

The Last Legion was pretty terrible, in just about every facet I can think of. I'm so glad I didn't waste any money on it in the theaters. Some of those Caesar & Cleopatra films should go to the dogs. There's just some films that should never, EVER have been made.