UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Cave of Romulus and Remus discovered

Ludovicus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7104330.stm

From the BBC:

"Italian archaeologists say they have found the long-lost underground grotto where ancient Romans believed a female wolf suckled the city's twin founders.

The cave believed to be the Lupercal was found near the ruins of Emperor Augustus' palace on the Palatine hill.

The 8m (26ft) high cave decorated with shells, mosaics and marble was found during restoration work on the palace. "

Link above shows two photos of the highly decorated interior of the Lupercal cave.

Seems that no one has entered the cave so far due to fears of its collapse.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news but unfortunately they're not THAT new..

Anyway there is some new information and a few pictures so all in all it's really nice!

:furious:

It

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7104330.stm

From the BBC:

"Italian archaeologists say they have found the long-lost underground grotto where ancient Romans believed a female wolf suckled the city's twin founders.

The cave believed to be the Lupercal was found near the ruins of Emperor Augustus' palace on the Palatine hill.

The 8m (26ft) high cave decorated with shells, mosaics and marble was found during restoration work on the palace. "

Link above shows two photos of the highly decorated interior of the Lupercal cave.

Seems that no one has entered the cave so far due to fears of its collapse.

It's domed! Pantheon was 118 AD. Either the dates for Domed construction is wrong or this temple was constructed after 118. Great Discovery.. Priceless!

Cool!

Yes! that is cool, from the article "it is incredible to think that we have finally found a mythical site which, by our doing so, has become a real place." . Just as an aside I have always felt there is a LOT more historical reality in these early Roman 'myths' than most give them credit for, including my namesake :furious: Seems over the years a lot of people have discarded or added things to the ancient sources purely for political, religious or personal agenda reasons. I'm probably wrong of course, but I like to think that anyway. Hoping for some Trojan artifacts to be found in Rome sometime soon lol, hey! it could happen.

It's domed! Pantheon was 118 AD. Either the dates for Domed construction is wrong or this temple was constructed after 118.

Well I've not checked this but I somehow get the feeling that the Pantheon wasn't really the first doom they built, just the largest. Also consider that it's much easier to build a dome inside an existing structure (Aka a cave roof in this example).

It's domed! Pantheon was 118 AD. Either the dates for Domed construction is wrong or this temple was constructed after 118.

Well I've not checked this but I somehow get the feeling that the Pantheon wasn't really the first doom they built, just the largest. Also consider that it's much easier to build a dome inside an existing structure (Aka a cave roof in this example).

AFAIK The Pantheon is generally claimed to be the largest 'free standing' domed structure built in the ancient world - not the first :furious: .

AFAIK The Pantheon is generally claimed to be the largest 'free standing' domed structure built in the ancient world - not the first :furious: .

Exactly my point ;)

Exactly my point ;)

Glad we agree:)

BTW the BBC also has a video report of the find - i believe that this link should take you to it but canoot check at present:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/p.../newsid_7105000?

If it doesn't work then there are currently (21/11/07 9.18 GMT) both video and audio news item links under the 'video and audio news' header half way down the front page

http://news.bbc.co.uk/

So what! Give or take a hundred or so years. It sure pins a date on the construction of the shrine.