UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Cave of Romulus and Remus discovered

Ludovicus

The amount of attention and investment they gave to it definitely shows it had meaning and was a special to them. It does seem that myths usually have at least some basis in fact, however oblique.

Saylor, in Roma, says that while "lupa" literally translates to "she-wolf," it also was a slang term for "prostitute." It may be that this temple is really a glorified crib.

What was it Herodotus said, something about the duty of a historian involves correcting the deficiencies of history? :furious:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mosaic roof is really cool IMHO

Oh, yeah!!!

capt0d8aa2e7eb88416a9f7og3.jpg

Yes, I'm astounded by this news, too. I'm curious to find out when the last visits were paid to the shrine, i.e when it was lost. What common history did the cave share with the palace of Augustus? The first emperor was a master propagandist. Of course, he would have chosen to build his palace on the spot of Rome's founding.

The Italian newpaper "La Repubblica" carries an article with a few more details. Here's the link:

http://www.repubblica.it/2007/11/sezioni/s...olo-e-remo.html

According to the article, the cult of the Lupercale was still practiced in the time of Pope Gelasius I.

If you don't read Italian, perhaps your Latin or Spanish will serve you here.

Here's a link from "Qultures" on the find with its own link to Italian sources:

http://www.qultures.com/Articles/2007/Nove...1120071234.aspx

Edited by Ludovicus

As well, he was the adopted son of Julius Caesar, whose family claimed descendence from Aeneas, and the Goddess Venus through him. So not only propaganda, but a way to show himself as the living embodiment of Rome's founding and strengthen his connection to the myths and legend. Brilliant if u ask me.

In the article, it says that "old" sources spoke of his rededication of the Cave, and the placing of a white Eagle in its dome. Does anyone know this source?

So what! Give or take a hundred or so years. It sure pins a date on the construction of the shrine.

We're talking about the largest dome ever built in antiquity, I really really get the feeling that they had a great deal of experience by then. I will take a look at it after Friday.

Edited by Klingan

There seems to remain a lot to be found out. The domed ceilings of "caves" are generally not actual domes, nor so perfect as this appears, but oblong rounded caverns with lots of irregularities, projections, protuberances, etc. It appears likely this

T

From what I've seen the dome seen in the pictures seems almost pristine. This might open up a third possibility to the shaping of a natural ceiling by filling or cutting. It might be that it was shaped by the kind of man made processes we’ve seen at Petra, that it is not a natural cavern at all, but one carved out of the so called 'living rock', from a smaller cavern .

That's really interesting Faustes. when i was reading this I did a cursory search on domes in Wiki and found this thing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Coupole Reading the construction part is really fascinating. "The Nazi engineers were able to build such a vast structure using poured reinforced concrete by moulding the chalk beneath into a convex shape and then laying the concrete on top". .I don't know enough about geology to know if the formations there are the same as in Italy but it does say it was a former limestone quarry. It's still the largest dome in Europe apparently and I had never heard of it. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ed/Lacouplole.jpg . I guess you could do the same thing with limestone I wonder if this dome was ever above ground. Edited by Horatius

From what I've seen the dome seen in the pictures seems almost pristine. This might open up a third possibility to the shaping of a natural ceiling by filling or cutting. It might be that it was shaped by the kind of man made processes we

Edited by Faustus

Large parts of Rome, specially the hills are made out of Tufa. It's an excellent building material and I reckon that some larger preroman (I can't remember if they were etruscan) burial complexes were build in tufa hills.

I've got a map covering it somewhere here. As for reading up on domes (as I will do even with your ideas Faustus, just out of my own curiosity), I'll see if I can find that after Friday.

An alternative view on the discovery from academia may be of interest.

I have posted below a link to Mary Beard's online blog (Mary is a professor in classics at Cambridge University):

http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2...we-found-t.html

Oddly enough Melvadius, I was just about to post a link from Mary's blog right now! :rolleyes:

This is a great discovery, even if it might not actually be the cave of Romulus himself (considering his existance seems to be in doubt).

What I found great is that Mary Beard has linked this site to her blog (if you click on the word "Romulus" in her entry, it will take you straight to an article on Romulus and Remus from this site!) It's great to see UNRV increase in popularity.

Oddly enough Melvadius, I was just about to post a link from Mary's blog right now! :)

This is a great discovery, even if it might not actually be the cave of Romulus himself (considering his existance seems to be in doubt).

What I found great is that Mary Beard has linked this site to her blog (if you click on the word "Romulus" in her entry, it will take you straight to an article on Romulus and Remus from this site!) It's great to see UNRV increase in popularity.

In that case to preserve academic rigour and sensibilities take it as read that I have heard her speak on one occasion and generally respect her scholarship - which view as you indicate can only be reinforced by the sources she quotes ;)

An alternative view on the discovery from academia may be of interest.

I have posted below a link to Mary Beard's online blog (Mary is a professor in classics at Cambridge University):

http://timesonline.typepad.com/dons_life/2...we-found-t.html

From Mary Beard's blog, her link to more photos of the site and interior of the supposed Lupercal, all from the Italian Ministry of Cultural Properties:

http://www.beniculturali.it/sala/dettaglio...,cs&Id=2579

Enjoy.

Here's another view from Archaeology Magazine:

"Rome