UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ursus

Ancient Egyptian literature

The otherwise very rational Augusta seems to have an illogical antipathy to our Ancient Egyptian friends. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I find them refreshingly different. Not completely Western but not wholly alien; close enough to our heritage to understand, but unique enough to provide a contrast to normative Western values.

The contrast exists insofar as Ancient Egypt was arguably the least warlike of the great ancient cultures, having achieved a true empire only under the New Kingdom phase of their long history. While long odes have been composed to the Pharoahs' might, warrior ethos existed only as a means to end. The central Egyptian concept was Ma'at - a word that blends our concepts of truth, justice, harmony, peace, divine inspiration. War was simply a means to fight off the forces of chaos encroaching on Ma'at. In Greece and Rome, by contrast, warrior arete and virtus were ends onto themselves.

While I recognize that warrior might helped forge and defend Hellenic and Roman culture, I also can grow tired of reading the national epics of those cultures, where warrior princes and warlords recite long deeds of their bloody conquests.

The literatue of Ancient Egypt recovered from papyrus and heiroglyphs conveys a more peaceful culture. Some of it is strikingly modern.

I have recently read Ancient Egyptian Literature: An Anthology by John Foster. I won't do a full review for the site as I don't think enough people would be truly interested. But I do want to make a few brief points.

The literature seems to be divided into four main varieties.

One are long hymns to Egypt's various gods, especially to the solar gods of the dynasty. Some of these can become rambling and monotonous, but at other times they are strikingly beautiful and - dare I say? - inspirational. I would compare them to the Hebrew Psalms on that level. Interestingly, some of the Egyptians apparently felt there was an ultimate unity somewhere behind the polytheism, not unlike the later Greco-Roman Platonists.

Another is what I would term "folklore" - not quite on the level of mythology, but age old stories told over campfires. They are told from the perspective of people caught up in exotic adventures, who ultimately escape their troubles by living according to the Egypt's values of peace, harmony, justice and divine guidance.

Another is what has been termed Wisdom Literature. This is usually a royal personage or scribal authority dispensing fatherly advice to a filial listener. The obvious love and concern that pervaded Egyptian familial life is felt here, in contrast to Republican Rome where excessive displays of such emotions were considered unmanly. The sage advice teaches the importance of a good education (lest one be forced to groan and sweat as a common laborer), the dangers of excessive alcohol and sex, and the honor of living a dignified life according to cultural norms. Aside from the particular religion and professions discussed, the advice could be given today by any caring father.

And finally we have the love poems. Both sexes speak in the love poems. And in contrast to some areas of Greco-Roman culture, where romantic love might be considered divine madness and unhealthy, romantic love was perfectly normal. They loved on both an emotional and physical level, and no one lifted an eyebrow.

All in all, there is a great deal the Ancient Egyptians have to commend to themselves, if you look beyond the funerary monuments and god-kingship which forms most people's impressions of Egypt. There was that - but there was also a people who loved life, who loved the peaceful side of life, and who I daresay are sometimes closer to my own values than the warrior or intellectual elite of Greece and Rome.

Nice summary!

I had read some of the first two kinds and I found them interesting. The religious pieces are sometimes boring, but texts regarding magic are often amusing. Puting the macerated half of a dung bug in the drink of the loved one does not seem failproof to me, especially if she finds out :rolleyes: .

The folklore stroy resamble a bit "a Thousend Nights"

Good job Ursus!

The Egyptians did know there was a world out there other than Egypt and the Nile but preferred to stay isolated until the New Kingdom arose. They were peaceful and preferred trade rather than war to solve issues in their nation. Egypt's imperialist ambitions were only to revive Egypt, which was at that time a shadow of its former self, into a power. Battles such as Meggido and Kadesh are also reminders that even though Egypt may be a peaceful nation, it will also crush opposition if need be.

Great summary overall Ursus! :rolleyes:

Sounds like an interesting book, as it deals with all sorts of different forms of Litereature. will definately consider reading it. :D