UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Questions for the Masses

Greylock

Hello everyone here i have been tasked with finding some historical information for a party/event for my SCA group and i was hoping that perhaps you people could help me with a bit of research.

We do a event commonly known as season of the wolf, but this year we are trying to theme our event to try and draw more patronage. My concept i blurted out during our last meeting was a Toga party.

Anyways i thought this could be allot of fun but we are constrained based on timeline acceptable by the SCA , the easiest being approximately 500 AD, Basically the during the fall of the roman empire. I was curious if you people could assist in my research a bit, or perhaps point me towards the right resources.

Basically what i need is information on what was served and eaten at a party during this time period. events and activates that could have taken place back in this time period (for adults and children). Festivals that were observed , especially ones in the fall months september if possible.

and where i could do further reading on these subjects, books, websites , etc. most i see are during the early ages, or that of the empire.

Thanks in advance for any responses or answers.

• 3 weeks later...

There are posts on these forums dealing with roman food if you care to do a search. I would have thought though by 500AD that roman food had become simpler, with less accent on the clever dishes designed to resemble something else (a pastry pigs head for instnce) which delighted well to do diners.

• 2 weeks later...

Roman West-Empire fall on 476 AD. Perhaps you can make better to consult some medieval texts.

In any case, it's not so difficult to find something about what Romans ate during the Empire in aristocratical banquets: you can find Apicius De re coquinaria (IV century AD). You can find this text in Bibliotheca Augustana site.

Aristocratical banquets were founded on roasted meat and fish.

Poor people could not eat these rich foods. They ate olus, that is salade, and puls, that is something like cr