UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Mithraism and Christianity

Julian the Faithful

I am pondering potential research topics for graduate school, and I have been reading various threads on this forum, as well as researching on my own. I have yet to see discussion, or sources, and I may be wrong, as I have not yet read everything, of the significance of Julian's initiation into the cult of Mithras, if he indeed was in it.

Given the similarities between the two religions, it seems to me that Julian would take particular affront to Christianity. It would be an angle to look at, if it has not already been done.

I have begun looking into the introduction of Sol Invictus by Aurelian, and the events followed with Constantine, and eventually Julian.

Now I am not sure if Mithraism was as widespread as some say, or small as others postulate, but it does seem to be significant nonetheless, and the similarities with Christianity are significant enough to warrant a closer look.

This is just in the initial stages, and I wanted to seek out thoughts and opinions of educated men on the subject. I am open to any and all ideas.

once again thank you for your time.

I am pondering potential research topics for graduate school, and I have been reading various threads on this forum, as well as researching on my own. I have yet to see discussion, or sources, and I may be wrong, as I have not yet read everything, of the significance of Julian's initiation into the cult of Mithras, if he indeed was in it.

Given the similarities between the two religions, it seems to me that Julian would take particular affront to Christianity. It would be an angle to look at, if it has not already been done.

I have begun looking into the introduction of Sol Invictus by Aurelian, and the events followed with Constantine, and eventually Julian.

Now I am not sure if Mithraism was as widespread as some say, or small as others postulate, but it does seem to be significant nonetheless, and the similarities with Christianity are significant enough to warrant a closer look.

This is just in the initial stages, and I wanted to seek out thoughts and opinions of educated men on the subject. I am open to any and all ideas.

once again thank you for your time.

Julian was not a member of the cult of Mithras. He was subtilized by the New Platonic School. History has Julian a

His studious nature led him to one Aidesios, a student of the late Neoplatonist teacher Iamblichus, and through other of Aeidesios's students heard of Maximus, a charismatic man who combined philosopher, ritual magician and freelance Pagan priest. Using the works of Iamblichus, which countenanced ritual magic as a step in the soul's journey toward the One--the source of all existence--and other magical texts such as the second-century Chaldean Oracles, Maximus offered initiation into what amounted to a secret, esoteric Neoplatonic religion. Julian became his initiate. Later he was also initiated into the all-male cult of Mithras, the Persian Sun god widely worshiped in the Roman army--Mithraism with its ranks and lodges filled a place somewhat similar to modern Freemasonry for soldiers stationed far from home.

-An entry from The Encyclopedia of Heresies and Heretics by Chas S. Clifton. Published in 1992 by ABC-Clio, Santa Barbara, California. (Polish edition: Encyklopedia herezji i heretyk

It was both widespread and small. Mithraic cells are littered throughout the Latin West (the greatest concentration being in Rome, Ostia, and the militarized Germanic borders). But the cells were small, comprising at most 40 people per cell, and they excluded women.

Robert Turcan estimates at most 2% of the population was involved in Mithraism. (See the relevant sections on Turcan's Cults of the Roman Empire).

I believe it was significant only to the extent of who practiced it - soldiers, imperial bureaucrats, traders and tradesmen. You had a nice middle class section of Roman males in a socio-religious network with each other, who seemed to be fiercely loyal to the imperial society, in contrast to some of the other cults at the time (Christianity, for instance). Turcan seems to see Mithraism as basically a mytho-religious substitute to Roman Stoicism.

Manfred Claus's study on Mithraism did not find any evidence for emperors and senators in its membership. He studied the various inscriptions and dedications left by the cult adherents and the vast majority were the soldiers and mid ranking imperial functionaries I mentioned before. Since Roman elites had a tendency to build temples, issue coins, and offer dedications to their patron gods, it does strike me as significant we see none of this dedicated to Mithras from the higher orders.

Julian was involved in Neoplatonism, but the connection between Mithraism and the esoteric philosophies of the day have yet to be fully discovered. There is still a lot of debate as to exactly what Mithraism was. Some scholars even deny he had any connection to the old Iranian solar deity.

In any event, if you go this route and discover something new, you could really make a name for yourself. So I wish you luck. :thumbsup:

You have always have good replies Ursus. Thanks for the encouragement. I am looking into this in depth, and I will post anything I find to get thoughts from you guys.

I saw mention of a Mithraeum built by Julian in Constantinople. I will look to see if there is a source attached, or wild speculation.

"Smith raises important doubts about the date of Julian's acknowledged initiation into the cult of Mithras, placed by Athanassiadi in 351, and demonstrates the role played by modern identifications of Mithras with the god Helios in attempts to link this initiation to Julian's involvement with Neoplatonic theurgy, his "conversion" to paganism, or his initiation in the Eleusinian Mysteries during his brief stay in Athens. (pp. 137-138).

- Rowland Smith, Julian's Gods. Religion and Philosophy in the Thought and Action of Julian the Apostate. London and New York: Routledge, 1995. Pp. xvii + 300. ISBN 0-415-03487-6.

"Such an enterprise of construction of a private shrine is typical for Julian. He was going to do the same

a few months later in Constantinople, where he arranged in the palace his private Mithraem

shrine of the Persian Sun God Mithras"

- J. Bidez, La vie de l'empereur Julien, deuxieme tirage, Paris 1930, 219-224

It seems that his connection to Mithras is more than just speculation, but as Ursus said "the connection between Mithraism and the esoteric philosophies of the day have yet to be fully discovered".

But given the material available, I dont think one can say he was not a member of the cult. If for Propaganda reasons alone, he most likely was, given its popularity amongst the soldiers.

If anyone has any links to his work 'Hymn to King Helios', or any information on the mysterious Maximus, I would be in your debt.

Edited by Julian the Faithful

Julian, Mithraism was not the only Eastern Meditterranean cult with similarities to Christianity. The cults of Bacchus and Dionysus also bear similarities. Especially the stories - water to wine, going to be crucified on a donkey, being born at the end of the year and being visited by astrologers who 'followed the stars' all feature in the mythologies of these figures. See this link for more info:

http://www.vexen.co.uk/books/jesusmysteries.html

This book, although presented in a populist way, nonetheless was written by classical scholars with impeccable credentials, and the evidense they give is backed up by comprehensive references. If you have not come across this already, I think you will like it.

• 2 weeks later...

After a few weeks research, most sources claim that Julian was inducted into the cult of Mithras. Now whether this was purely propaganda, or sincere, that will require further investigation. It is also been stated by several sources that Julian built a Mithraeum in the place of Constantinople. That to me, seems very important. I doubt there were many adherents to Mithras in the city of Constantine, so it is likely, and I say this loosely, that it was for his use.

Here are a couple of coins of some interest.

bull.jpg

bull1.jpg

After a few weeks research, most sources claim that Julian was inducted into the cult of Mithras. Now whether this was purely propaganda, or sincere, that will require further investigation

Interesting. I guess I should read more primary sources. I wonder how Manfred Claus missed that in his study of Mithraism, or perhaps he was deliberately ignoring it because he couldn't find material evidence to back up the literary assertions.

But I think the real question is, even if Julian was involved with Mithraism, what did Mithraism really mean? Or at least, what did it mean specifically to Julian?

After a few weeks research, most sources claim that Julian was inducted into the cult of Mithras. Now whether this was purely propaganda, or sincere, that will require further investigation. It is also been stated by several sources that Julian built a Mithraeum in the place of Constantinople. That to me, seems very important. I doubt there were many adherents to Mithras in the city of Constantine, so it is likely, and I say this loosely, that it was for his use.

Here are a couple of coins of some interest.

bull.jpg

bull1.jpg

That looks more like an image of the Sabellian Bull from the Italian Confederacy not a Mithraic Bull. Julian was a follower of the ancient Roman religion as was most every member of the Roman aristocracy of his day. What sources says that all of Romes aristocracy was following Mithraism? None that i know of. Even Julian's own brand of Roman religion was heavily influenced by the Greek deities and those schools of philosophy , were are the sources of institutional Mithraism in Rome? Julian however never actually followed even the ancient religion of the Romans, his brand was politically influenced by the Greeks.

If anyone has any links to his work 'Hymn to King Helios', or any information on the mysterious Maximus, I would be in your debt.

I've found THIS

It seems to be what your looking for but unfortunately it also seems that you'll have to pay for the pleasure, I'm not sure how much it costs but if it's that important to you it might be worth your while.

This is a very interesting thread, please let us know what you find out.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a tv program over christmas about Jesus, which noted many similarities between christianity and mithraism, even to the extent that later roman christians complained that the mithras worshippers were copying them. A point I hadn't previously known was that Mithras wasn't the god in charge of his faith, more of a lesser divinty sent to deal with mankind much as Jesus was said to. Does anyone have any further info about this?

There was a tv program over christmas about Jesus, which noted many similarities between christianity and mithraism, even to the extent that later roman christians complained that the mithras worshippers were copying them. A point I hadn't previously known was that Mithras wasn't the god in charge of his faith, more of a lesser divinty sent to deal with mankind much as Jesus was said to. Does anyone have any further info about this?

Calders, have a look at the link I posted above, at the start of this discussion. The book mentioned answers this question and a lot more besides, about the many mystery religions which had very close similarities to christianity. And also the ludicrous concept of 'Diabolical mimicry' in which the early church attempted to explain away these similarities by saying that the devil anticipated Christ, and so invented the mystery religions to mimic him - hundreds of years before christ was born.

The program did suggest that Paul, who largely invented christianity, was drawing other beliefs for inspiration and in all probability better ratings. It begins to appear like an ancient marketing exercise.