UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Clodius and Pompey

G-Manicus

Reading Plutarch's biography on Pompey and the following has me a little puzzled:

Thus worsted and hard pressed, Pompey was forced to fly for refuge to popular tribunes and attach himself to young adventurers. Among these the boldest and vilest was Clodius, who took him up and threw him down under the feet of the people, and keeping him ignobly rolled about in the dust of the forum, and dragging him to and fro there, he used him for the confirmation of what was said and proposed to gratify and flatter the people. 5 He even went so far as to ask a reward for his services from Pompey, as if he were helping him instead of disgracing him, and this reward he subsequently got in the betrayal of Cicero, who was Pompey's friend and had done him more political favours than any one else.

What is that referring to? I gather he is saying that Clodius took advantage of Pompey's "celebrity" to further his own personal agenda, correct? If so, how/why did Pompey get to such a low state (where he appears to be the ancient equivalent of Dionne Warwick shilling for Psychic Friends Network)? And why would Pompey consent to this kind of relationship? The preceding language speaks of a political rivalry with Lucullus that lead to all this but it's a bit murky on details. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
What is that referring to? I gather he is saying that Clodius took advantage of Pompey's "celebrity" to further his own personal agenda, correct? If so, how/why did Pompey get to such a low state (where he appears to be the ancient equivalent of Dionne Warwick shilling for Psychic Friends Network)? And why would Pompey consent to this kind of relationship? The preceding language speaks of a political rivalry with Lucullus that lead to all this but it's a bit murky on details. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks.

Yup no problem. Pompey and Lucullus did have a massive rivalry. Lucullus had lost the Mithridatic command to Pompey depsite having done the lion's share of the work. It was this that precipitated his retirement from public life. In fact this was one of the few times he appeared on the political scene afterwards and it is telling that it was in order to denounce Pompey's plans.

As for the Clodius thing, Clodius was a bit of a scandalous creature and considered a political chancer. What Plutarch is trying to say is pretty much what you said. That Clodius used Pompey's fame to advance his own cause and dragged him around as a supporter, even trying to get money out of him for the favour. However, most peole saw it as a sign of Pompey's desperation and so it did him more harm than good.

Enlightened?

SF

Edited by sullafelix

B.A Marshall (in his book "Crassus: A Political Biography") seem to think that Clodius acted as Crassus client and his attacks of Pompius was desgine to show him that Crassus was still relevant power in the Triumvirate and that he shouldn't attach himself too much to Caesar.