UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
G-Manicus

Did M.P. Cato act illegally as Qaestor?

All or nearly all of his acts were overturned, but there wasn't one formal body that reviewed acts as being constitutional--adherence to precedence was the responsibility of every magistrate.

So I'm clear on this then, Sulla was still considered afterwards to have been the legal Dictator of Rome? (no matter how repulsive his reign may have been)

All or nearly all of his acts were overturned, but there wasn't one formal body that reviewed acts as being constitutional--adherence to precedence was the responsibility of every magistrate.

So I'm clear on this then, Sulla was still considered afterwards to have been the legal Dictator of Rome? (no matter how repulsive his reign may have been)

In short, yes.

In short, yes.

Thank you.

I shall now retire to my chambers and upon my return I shall render my verdict on these charges against the accused ...

;):romansoldier: :romansoldier: :romansoldier:

:hammer:

(from the back of the court room) "ALL RISE!"

I don't think so, but it would be worth collecting evidence on the matter.

I think Sulla's acts were considered legal otherwise all acts would have been nul without being needed other special gradually enacted laws. Sullans kept power for sometime after Sulla's death and prevented a complete return to the previous situation.

The principle "tempus regit actum" it's roman so I presume that they could not convict someone for carrying a legal order, but could prosecute someone if the act was unlawful.

I don't think so, but it would be worth collecting evidence on the matter.

Save it for the appeal, son.