UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
mcpon

100 most influential people in history

Moving away from a subject guaranteed to cause argument and back to the topic....

I note that Winston Churchill hasn't had a look in; for one, he came up with the idea for a military campaign that would help create a national identity for Australia (Gallipoli). He wrote an extensive history of the English-Speaking peoples in a way that sounds more like a good story then monotone history (in my opinion - the four volumes are great reads). He fought and won one of the most terrible conflicts of the 20th century (obviously not single-handedly, but you get my point), and also could be said to have laid the basis for the Cold War by countenancing Stalin. He certainly influenced the shape of Europe for years, and his words will last for ages to come. Definitely someone worthy of consideration, in my book.

An influential woman to consider is Zenobia - it would take a ballsy woman to take control of the Roman East!

Scipio Africanus. Were it not for him, we'd all probably be walking around with turbans wrapped around our heads.

Why is that? I never knew the Carthaginians walked around with turbans wrapped around their heads.

Scipio Africanus. Were it not for him, we'd all probably be walking around with turbans wrapped around our heads.

Why is that? I never knew the Carthaginians walked around with turbans wrapped around their heads.

Neither do I; I think you have a good point, GD.

Moving away from a subject guaranteed to cause argument and back to the topic....

Thank you. I wanted to jump in there, but I thought I'd bite my tongue instead. Oh, it was hard! Aside from that ... I've got nothing. I'm actually at work trying to kill some time, so ignore this post. ;)

Thank you. I wanted to jump in there, but I thought I'd bite my tongue instead. Oh, it was hard! Aside from that ... I've got nothing. I'm actually at work trying to kill some time, so ignore this post. :D

Well, I could not resist the temptation I'm afraid - the discussion was nonetheless pertinant to this thread, as the personality of Mohammed was discussed in view of his rightful place in this list. However, trolls posting repeatedly on a single issue, using aspects of religious faith to sound off their views on established scientific theory using mildly vulgar language, need to be challenged. In my view this should be done in as polite a way as possible by longer serving members of the forum, in such a way that attempts to draw them back to the original topic.

Talking of which, Darwin of course should be up there too, maybe a bit below mohammed given that in todays world the Koran is influential in the lives of many people.

Edited by Northern Neil

Salve, NN

Talking of which, Darwin of course should be up there too, maybe a bit below mohammed given that in todays world the Koran is influential in the lives of many people.

Well, both events happened at quite different scales.

Even if Mohammed's message had certainly affected the lives of millions of humans across many centuries, the biological mechanisms and processes of Evolution described by Charles Darwin had affected all life for at least 3,7 billion years.

It seems inevitable that a topic titled "100 most influential people in history" will lead to separate -- sometimes impassioned -- discussions regarding individual choices for inclusion on such a list.

The off-topic discussion on Gallipoli nonetheless was related to history, was interesting, and warranted its own thread. So I've split the topic for those who wish to continue that discussion.

Now, back on topic here, 'k?

-- Nephele

I sincerely apologize for dropping in on you guys like this but here is my updated list on the most influential people in history.  :)  I apologize in any way if this rubs anybody the wrong way. :)  The list is an attempt at diversity, so some of the more influential people might have been excluded due to the main field they influenced ran out of the number of entries.  :) 

1.    "Mitochondrial Eve"
2.    Otto von Guericke
3.    Cyrus II
4.    Johannes Gutenberg
5.    Muhammed
6.    James Watt
7.    Christopher Columbus
8.    Carl Bosch
9.    Isaac Newton
10.    Genghis Khan
11.    Aristotle
12.    Homer
13.    "ancestor of all that has natural blue eyes"
14.    Louis Pasteur
15.    William Paterson
16.    Charles Darwin
17.    Malcolm McLean
18.    Mehmed II
19.    James Clerk Maxwell
20.    Tiglath-Pileser III
21.    Abbes Sieyes
22.    Alhacen
23.    Li Si
24.    Euclid
25.    Julius Caesar
26.    Claude Shannon
27.    Edward Coke
28.    Justinian I
29.    Maharshi Veda Vyasa
30.    Karl Marx
31.    Brahmagupta
32.    Alexander Fleming
33.    Cai Lun
34.    Martin Luther
35.    Francis Russell (Duke of Bedford)
36.    Menes/Narmer
37.    Napoleon Bonaparte
38.    Alyattes/Alyattes II
39.    Johann van Oldenbarnevelt
40.    John Snow
41.    Thespis
42.    Abu Bakr
43.    Luca Pacioli
44.    Edwin Drake
45.    Gavrilo Princep
46.    Marquess of Shen
47.    Thomas Edison