UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
mcpon

100 most influential people in history

Well about Newton: Even from the shoulders he made important discoveries and more then that he was the one who made them known. You cannot be influential without people knowing about your achievements.

What good does a painting do when nobody can see it?

Influence isn't just about making the discovery or deed, it's also about spreading it.

(My apologies for my English I'm dead tired)

good: Zoroaster, Pizarro, simon bolivar

Need: Antiochus the Great, Suleiman the magnificent

Questionable: louis Pasteur that high? Seriously we'd be just fine wihtount the pasteurization process. i drink non-pasteurized stuff all the time. SHAKESPEARE? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? :rolleyes:

Antiochus III

Edited by Antiochus III

Ave

What about Saul of Tarsus? No single individual was as influential as he was in the dissemination of Pauline Christianity (except Constantine maybe). And we all know how much indebted out present day cultural institutions are to so-called Judaeo-Christianity.

Scipio Africanus. Were it not for him, we'd all probably be walking around with turbans wrapped around our heads.

What about Adam and Eve? they started off humanity

Mythology is not History.

It's biologically implausible that we all come from a sole primordial couple.

And of course, our common ancestors were not human.

What about Adam and Eve? they started off humanity

Mythology is not History.

It's biologically implausible that we all come from a sole primordial couple.

And of course, our common ancestors were not human.

Says who? It is true not mythology, Darwin's muddled up mind saying that humans evolving and all that is bull crap.

Says who? It is true not mythology, Darwin's muddled up mind saying that humans evolving and all that is bull crap.

Wouldn't you prefer Deucalion and Pyrrha?

Religion is a matter of Faith, History is not; there's no reason to mix them.

Biological evolution isn't a matter of Faith either.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

Questionable: louis Pasteur that high? Seriously we'd be just fine wihtount the pasteurization process. i drink non-pasteurized stuff all the time.

Salve, A III.

Your health is your own responsability.

There are currently many alternatives to the Pasteurization of milk and many other liquids, including Beer and Wine: even so, it's still widely used all over the World and it has been historically a pivotal step in the control of Tuberculosis, Brucellosis, Diphteria, Scarlet Fever and many other infective agents.

But Monsieur Pasteur contributions go far beyond such process; basically, they include multiple critical steps in the understanding, prevention and control of the infectious diseases.

If bacterial and related diseases are the main human killers in first world countries no more, he shares a great deal of the credit.

Even more, he completely changed the way of studying a whole branch of Science: Biology.

Wouldn't you prefer Deucalion and Pyrrha?

Religion is a matter of Faith, History is not; there's no reason to mix them.

Biological evolution isn't a matter of Faith either.

No i won't prefer them, and you are right, it's about faith.

(Sigh) Here we go again. Says who? - everyone with an analytical free - thinking mind, who is able to weigh evidence and come to a logical conclusion. That includes most academics, and also many people who are themselves religious believers. I would be interested in hearing more real evidence for human evolution being 'bull crap' than simply the fact that you and your ancient and much edited and mis translated book disagree with it. If this were the time and place, of course - which it isn't. It is a discussion forum for ancient history in general, and the Roman period in particular. I am far more interested in your views about Tarquinus, Caesar and Constantine than I am about your belief in Adam and Eve. I am more interested about your views on the development of Roman and Greek architecture than I am about your views (totally off topic) on Darwin.

(Sigh) Here we go again. Says who? - everyone with an analytical free - thinking mind, who is able to weigh evidence and come to a logical conclusion. That includes most academics, and also many people who are themselves religious believers. I would be interested in hearing more real evidence for human evolution being 'bull crap' than simply the fact that you and your ancient and much edited and mis translated book disagree with it. If this were the time and place, of course - which it isn't. It is a discussion forum for ancient history in general, and the Roman period in particular. I am far more interested in your views about Tarquinus, Caesar and Constantine than I am about your belief in Adam and Eve. I am more interested about your views on the development of Roman and Greek architecture than I am about your views (totally off topic) on Darwin.

The Quran has not been edited.

Read Harun Yahya's book, "The Evolution Deciet" maybe that will change your mind.

Back on topic:- I only think Caesar and Constantine should make it in the top 100 because Caesar nearly dissolved the republic, whilst Constantine, made Constantipole grow into the city that it was in the Middle-ages.

The Quran has not been edited.

Read Harun Yahya's book, "The Evolution Deciet" maybe that will change your mind.

Back on topic:- I only think Caesar and Constantine should make it in the top 100 because Caesar nearly dissolved the republic, whilst Constantine, made Constantipole grow into the city that it was in the Middle-ages.

I have read this already, and also 'The Blind Watchmaker' and 'the God Delusion' by Dawkins. I find 'The Evolution Deceit' unconvincing, albeit eloquently written. Whereas I regard Mohammed as one of the top 100 - even the top 10 most influential people in history, the book he wrote is little more than a re-edition itself, of earlier Jewish and Christian writings, with a little early medieval history of the Arabs thrown in for good measure.

Can't we all get along. Funny, I believe in both evolution and intelligent design(I'm not like hardcore creationists).

As for influential people, hmm, Constantine and Caesar I would agree too. Oh um, there's the guy named Enrico Fermi----> Big Kaboom guy.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus