UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Spartans did not throw deformed babies away: researchers

The Greek myth that ancient Spartans threw their stunted and sickly newborns off a cliff was not corroborated by archaeological digs in the area, researchers said Monday.

After more than five years of analysis of human remains culled from the pit, also called an apothetes, researchers found only the remains of adolescents and adults between the ages of 18 and 35, Athens Faculty of Medicine Anthropologist Theodoros Pitsios said...

Yahoo News

The Greek myth that ancient Spartans threw their stunted and sickly newborns off a cliff was not corroborated by archaeological digs in the area, researchers said Monday.

After more than five years of analysis of human remains culled from the pit, also called an apothetes, researchers found only the remains of adolescents and adults between the ages of 18 and 35, Athens Faculty of Medicine Anthropologist Theodoros Pitsios said...

Yahoo News

Actually, I'm really glad to hear this story. What pit are they actually referring to here?

I would like to hear how the myth originated in the first place. If it was from an Athenian source, then it must be viewed VERY suspiciously!

I would like to hear how the myth originated in the first place. If it was from an Athenian source, then it must be viewed VERY suspiciously!

(Foreigner visits ancient Greece in Athens and Sparta.)

Athenian: Those Spartans throw deformed babies off cliffs!

Spartan: Don't listen to those Athenian boy-lovers!

I can see it, a bit unfriendly but I can see it.