UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Traianus

Insignia Naturae Ratio Illustrat

Sorry, I didn't notice this thread before.

This sounds like: "Reason Illuminates the signs of nature" but that "insignia" could have different meanings, it really depends on the context, same for ratio.

It is always very difficult to translate a very short Latin phrase.

My Latin is very rusty, but it would be something like "reason illuminates the symbols of nature".

Iirc it is a masonic phrase, and in that case I'm sure it's not a coincidence the words form the acronym INRI.

Hmm..the latin for symbol is imago..even index in some cases, and in ecclesiastic latin it would be symbolum, from greek.

Insigna could mean sign, mark, distinctive sign, military ornament, ornament in general, "insigna in ornatu" when referring to the ornamental objects inside a house, but I think I have never encountered insigna with the meaning of "symbol" in what I have read in classical latin so far.

..but apparently the Oxford English Dictionary cleared up a few things for me :D the word "Insignia" as symbol, emblem is first recorded in 1648 in the English language.

As far as ethymology is concerned, we go to the original meaning of the word in latin:

L. insignia, pl. of insigne

My Latin is very rusty, but it would be something like "reason illuminates the symbols of nature".

Iirc it is a masonic phrase, and in that case I'm sure it's not a coincidence the words form the acronym INRI.

haha, indeed

haha, indeed

The most popular version in Italy appears to be Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudeorum. Go figure.

Edited by Silentium

The most popular version in Italy appears to be Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudeorum. Go figure.

I thought it was its universal meaning, at least for catholics. I've been told all my life that INRI means that: "Jesus of Nazaret, King of Jews"

Edited by Traianus

I thought it was its universal meaning, at least for catholics. I've been told all my life that INRI means that: "Jesus of Nazaret, King of Jews"

I think she was being sarcastic ;)

I think she was being sarcastic ;)

ahms. Got it!