UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

America Votes 2008

I must say, I completely agree with your point there. I wonder, however, if it is possible to be a successful polititian WITHOUT lying at some stage? A different discussion for a different day, no doubt!

Edited by Northern Neil

I must say, I completely agree with your point there. I wonder, however, if it is possible to be a successful polititian WITHOUT lying at some stage? A different discussion for a different day, no doubt!

I don't think it is possible. The culture demands facetiousness. Voters want to be coddled. They want hand holding; they want to be pacified; also voters are solipsistic; they're not concerned with what they can do for our country; they're only worried about what our country can do for them. This mindset does not encourage honesty. It only encourages populist capitulation and deception.

Also, religion: In America, roughly 90% of its citizens are theists; only 10% are atheists. But atheists are wrongly and ignorantly accused of being somehow morally or intellectually deficient because they don

Salve Friends, Countrymen, and interested observers from Beyond the Tide (and our borders)

This, from a political Conservative, who is also a republican because that party is the best vehicle of his political philosophy; one who first time out voted for Goldwater in 1964, and was standing in a

Edited by Faustus

I think in the next year it will become more obvious that we need to adopt the kind of foreign policy/fiscal policy that Ron Paul is promoting, regardless of whether or not he has any success.

When it comes time to elect the next US president in 2008, will the citizens of my country be fully confident that their vote will count? Many of us wonder here.

In 2000, gross irregularities in the state of Florida resulted in widespread voter distrust, especially in the African American community where many thousands of voters were purged from the rolls. There were many instances of voting machine problems: errors, confusing layouts of ballots, and inconclusive tallies. Co-chairperson of the Florida Bush Campaign, Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris, certified the very controversial elections results.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C1A9669C8B63

In 2004, in Ohio:

_Perhaps the most visible of Ohio's problems were its long lines. Christopher McQuoid reached his polling place in Columbus at 4:30 p.m., congratulating himself for beating the after-work rush. By 7:30, he was getting impatient. And when he finally voted at 9:30, there were 150 people in line behind him._

"I was lucky," said Mr. McQuoid, a radio announcer. "I had the day off."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/24/national/24vote.html

Is Obama black or mixed race?

He's a very pale 'black' man.

His mother was white (I use 'was' because she passed several years ago... cancer I believe).

Watch what happens in Michigan: between McCain and Romney: (here we get away from identity politics in an important rust-belt state)

Michigan has suffered economic disaster under Dem. Gov. Granholm (looks good/talks good but her policies have been a disaster economically for the state). The Gov seems to not understand free markets nor the effects of taxation at all. Thus there is a strong economic issue in Michigan.

Truer words have not been spoken. Her terms have been nothing short of disastrous. In addition, our two national senators (Levin and Stabenow) have done little to fight for the state they represent. However, the biggest issue is that we are just too reliant upon a single industry. Combine this with the fact the single industry we are dependent upon is under constant assault by environmental/energy concerns, and there is our formula for ongoing dismay.

Romney is a favorite son of Michigan His father, served 3 terms as Mich. Gov. so Mitt has that residual legacy going into Michigan

This is a sensitive issue and I respond only in an attempt to put it in perspective:

This is only an issue in the Black (underdog) Democrat community, especially among the race baiters where money is to be made. The other side cares not a whit, except as regards the sensitivity in the opponent

Watch what happens in Michigan: between McCain and Romney: (here we get away from identity politics in an important rust-belt state)

Don't give Romney too much popularity in Michigan. Despite his connections to the state and the fact that McCain is a supporter of automobile mileage regulations that will continue to press the auto industry, McCain is still leading in the polls. Either our population is quite stupid (which I don't doubt) or Romney is simply too unlikeable (much like former Republican gubernatorial candidate Dick Devos).

Mitt Romney will give a speech this afternoon at the Detroit Economic Club

(Vew on C-SPAN I believe or see a repeat on the weekend)

Another issue in the Michigan primary is that it is an open primary. Anyone can vote for anyone regardless of party affiliation. Typically speaking, this wouldn't be a problem as most people tend to vote for the party that means more to them anyway, but because Michigan moved up our primary on the calendar, the DNC penalized the state by taking away the democratic delegates. Essentially, the Democratic primary is meaningless. The result is that many Democrats will cross over and will vote for the Republican candidate. McCain will gain a great deal more votes from independents and disenfranchised democrats than Romney will.

Another issue in the Michigan primary is that it is an open primary. Anyone can vote for anyone regardless of party affiliation. Typically speaking, this wouldn't be a problem as most people tend to vote in the primary that means more to them anyway, but because Michigan moved up our primary on the calendar, the DNC penalized the state by taking away the democratic delegates. Essentially, the Democratic primary is meaningless. The result is that many Democrats will cross over and will vote for the Republican candidate. McCain will gain a great deal more votes from independents and disenfranchised democrats than Romney will.

Wanna Bet? (rhetorically speaking of course)

January 15, we will find out.

These Dems are 'disenfranchised' and their vote rendered imeaningless because of democratic political finagaling.

We can have some fun with Michigan.

Here's a chance for Dems to stay home or go on out and symbollically 'affirm' HRC ( as she's still on the ballot but no other D is. - I'm sure the walking 0rders have gone out to the party's most faithful but to do what?)

So why and which R. would DisDs and Inds vote for? And why?

McCain in order to help nominate a weaker R?

McCain because they support his and by extension the president's Iraq policy?

McCain because they don't sufficiently care about economic policies and given a chance act as spoiler?

Other?

Romney because he would be in their best interest economically (his record as governor supports that)

Romney because he has shown himself capable of reaching agreement with all sides in a very lib state?

Romney because he is most beatable vis-a-vis religion?

Other? (how would you add to these other lists?)

Legacy: Evan Bayh was elected Gov. in Indiana, many Hoosiers think, because of residual legacy of his father Birch Bayh; oh. . . and his good looks (could good looks ever play a role?)

Granholm, Levin, and Stabenow: Now shouldn't that trio give pause to any Michigander to act in their own best interest rather than as spoiler?

I believe there is a fair mix, and the disparate parts of the equation will cancel each other out with little net impact. The good part is that we don't have to wait long to find out.

This is the first real 'issue' contest. With S. Carolina we return to 'identity politics' again.

I'm sure the walking 0rders have gone out to the party's most faithful but to do what?)

The Dem walking orders are to vote "uncommitted". The hope seems to be that the DNC will see this as some sort of apology and that they will reinstate the delegates at the convention. Of course, the delegates would be free to choose whomever they deemed most appropriate since "uncommitted" would in theory have won the election. Whether or not this has any merit of course we won't really know for some time, but the notion is definately making the rounds in the local media here.

In any case, whatever happens you're quote right that we'll find out tomorrow.