UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

America Votes 2008

Viggen

I'm reading HRC's book "Living History" and there she mentiones that were snipers in the mountains overlooking Tuzla's airstrip, but no ditching of bullets.

Her recent statement was a blatant lie, but, hell, she is a politician.

The book it's very well written, a masterpiece of puting her in the right light. She is smart, experienced, determined and ruthless so I guess that she will make a good president but if the reciprocal bashing beetwen her and Obama continues in this pace McCain would have an easier job.

OK, she's a politician, and they lie. But normally they do it with a bit more art than that. This kind of lie reeks of desperation and HRC's situation did not seem that dire as far as the candidacy goes. I'm bothered by it because before hearing of the lie I thought she was doing a pretty good job convincing US voters that she was genuine (as far as a politician can be).

A huge part of the American voting public will not accept a bold faced lie, even from a politician. That is one reason there is so much importance attached to

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realy dislike the arguments about a politician being "genuine" or "autenthic", they remind me of the Big Brother show. Does it really matters if the candidate likes the kids he uses in a foto op or not? Of course that they are all fakes and all lie, but this are not even important. I disliked HRC's Bosnian story not because it was a lie but because it showed poor judgement lying about something easy to check.

I'm waiting to see who will be the LP candidate.

Could be Bob Barr. The inclusion of candidates who are former members of the two mainstream parties who will help legitimize the LP and slowly evolve it away from the extreme anti-government fringes. A viable 3rd party can still maintain a Libertarian ideology of limited government, low taxes, justifiable military aggression, open society and market, etc while still finding some commonality with the existing parties (at least in my opinion).

Could be Bob Barr.

I don't care if former Patriot Act supporter Bob Barr is now calling himself a Libertarian, he would never get my vote.

Not posting this link because I'm in the Obama camp (I'm not), but because the blogger expresses my view of that distasteful phony, Barr.

-- Nephele

Could be Bob Barr.

I don't care if former Patriot Act supporter Bob Barr is now calling himself a Libertarian, he would never get my vote.

Not posting this link because I'm in the Obama camp (I'm not), but because the blogger expresses my view of that distasteful phony, Barr.

-- Nephele

Yeah, I haven't investigated the guy personally as I wouldn't bother voting for him, but I meant my statement in a generic sense. Converted Reps and Dems will help legitimize the LP (provided of course they actually maintain some libertarian philosophy)

Barr looks like a molester.

Yeah, I haven't investigated the guy personally as I wouldn't bother voting for him, but I meant my statement in a generic sense. Converted Reps and Dems will help legitimize the LP (provided of course they actually maintain some libertarian philosophy)

I figured that's what you meant. I just get a little teeth-grindingly ill-tempered at the very mention of that gasbag's name.

Barr looks like a molester.

LOL!

-- Nephele

God, I hate politicians.

Under our system these hated politicians are our governing class. If we demanded the popular media do its job, and not simply be enablers in deceipt, we could do much better in vetting our candidates. However we are getting a much better job this year because it is competitive on the D side. Also there is more alternative media (even the internet) to bring things to the fore that would otherwise never reach the public consciousness.

John McCain was a prisoner of war in Vietnam for 5

• 1 month later...
I'm one of those who prefers that we advance in left and right steps, and that partisanship is a good thing.

This is Primary day in North Carolina and Indiana

Hillary Clinton

For whom the coming US General Election is a foregone conclusion consider these recent elections and new governments in Europe:

Germany - Merkel (conservative)

France - Sarkozy (conservative)

Italy - Berlusconi (conservative)

Britain - Labor gets Old (?conservative?)

Faustus

The first two are not conservative in the American sense. They would be hanged if they were. berlusconi is a traitor and convicted criminal. He is a conservative in the American sense.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

• 1 month later...

McCain calls for a "Town hall" type debate with Obama. McCain has spent years in the U.S. Senate in loosely structured debates (without moderators) where each side has a limited amount of time, uses their time and grants a part of their time to the opponent and then reclaims time so as to impose order to the debate, going back and forth in this fashion. In a public forum this would work well for McCain. Since Romney bowed out McCain has consistently presented himself for tough random questions from audiences. Obama, on the other hand, has except for exceptional circumstances, avoided that venue. This is a more rigorous situation than Obama has been willing to subject himself too.

When he can be a "preacher" (preaching "change") he can talk with passion. When the passion is drained from his speeches in a discussion of statistics for instance, he often stumbles. It will be interesting to see how they engage in the debates if they are of the Town Hall type. When controlled by a "moderator", if the moderator desires, one or the other of the participants can be made to look good or bad as the moderator pleases. (It could be a boon for a speaker to know he is limited to 30 seconds to make a response to a patterned question)

Why Obama may prefer to not have a Town Hall Debate as proposed by McCain: Listen

to Obama commenting on healthcare in Bristol, Virginia June 5, 2008, when he drifted off his packaged message Edited by Faustus

Could be Bob Barr.

-- Nephele

You support libertarians? I'm surprised that most of the people here at UNRV are republican, libertarian, McCain supporters. Don't you see that unchecked capitalism and privatization are major causes of hardship and poverty as well as so many other world problems? just becuase a few snobs get rich out of it doesnt make it a good thing. And don't even think about mentioning the "trickle-down" effect--that's utterly preposterous.

Antiochus III

I also find it disturbing that many people ACTUALLY SUPPORT the Patriot Act. People are constantly saying that we are "free" and that we ned to spread "freedom" to other people (like in iraq), but then they turn around and support the Patriot Act which basically takes away our natural rights and freedoms. ALSO: are the citizens of iraq more free now that US troops are standing on street corners and dropping napalm on their cities? are they more free because they have checkpoints to pass through on their way to work? Answer that, operation "iraqi freedom" supporters.

Antiochus III

You support libertarians? I'm surprised that most of the people here at UNRV are republican, libertarian, McCain supporters. Don't you see that unchecked capitalism and privatization are major causes of hardship and poverty as well as so many other world problems? just becuase a few snobs get rich out of it doesnt make it a good thing. And don't even think about mentioning the "trickle-down" effect--that's utterly preposterous.

Antiochus III

First of all, if you'd like my personal answer, define capitalism and privatization explicitly. I'm fairly sure that I agree with you, not on the literal statement (since our subjective definition of terms probably do not coincide) but on the idea you are expressing. I don't want to get too specific before I understand exactly what you are stating.

You can PM me if you like, so that we don't derail the thread.