UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

America Votes 2008

Salve, Amici. A Pompeian electoral graffiti:

pompya7.png

"Cn(aeus) Helvius Sabinus AED(ile) D(ignum) R(ei) P(ublicae) (

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

Some interesting developments of with Obama of late:

1. He created for himself a pseudo presidential <SEAL> very much like the actual presidential seal and positioned it on his podium when speaking

2. He is going to make a trip to Iraq soon, and while passing through Europe has stated a desire to make a speech at the Brandenburg Gate. Previously two past presidents have made speeches there. John F. Kennedy (The "I am a Berliner" speech, early in the cold war) and Ronald Reagan ("Mr Gorbachev, bring down this wall" speech, at the height of the cold war)

(He seems to be taking on the mantle of the presidency so that it is an accepted fact, before the fact.)

3. He will also likely exploit the speech in Berlin as an affirmation of his popularity abroad, the audacity of hope indeed....

I personally have no objection; I

Edited by Faustus

Some interesting developments of with Obama of late...

I personally have no objection; I

Some interesting developments of with Obama of late:

1. He created for himself a pseudo presidential SEAL.....

2. He is going to make a trip to Iraq soon, and while passing through Europe has stated a desire to make a speech at the Brandenburg Gate. Previously two past presidents have made speeches there....

(He seems to be taking on the mantle of the presidency so that it is an accepted fact, before the fact.)

On his upcoming trip to Iraq, the Middle East, and Europe - three count

I think Obama can count on much more sympathies abroad then any Republican. In places like France and Egypt there are many signs of Obamania and, with proper coverage, this can be turned in a political advantage at home.

I think Obama can count on much more sympathies abroad then any Republican. In places like France and Egypt there are many signs of Obamania and, with proper coverage, this can be turned in a political advantage at home.

Honestly, I can't see how could such thing ever happen; Frenchmen and Egyptians are not going to vote on this one.

America's best selection ought not to be popular among the rest of the world.

And that would be true for most if not all countries' elections, for that matter.

And Obama sold out.

Obama didn't sell out. He's finally showing his true colors. Despite popular opinion, and the thread of his official narrator, he is an old-fashioned politician playing old-fashioned politics. He's running as the Anti-Bush, anti-Republican, and that is it. His official narrative sells the idea that he's different and unique, but he's not. Every thing he has done so far is by-the-book.

This obsessive cult of personality surrounding him worries me. No one should be given serious consideration for the highest elected office in this country based soley on popularity. Who is the man? What does he believe? What does he stand for? Do you know? Does anyone know? Does he know?

I have a question I ask Obama followers, and it's one that hasn't elicited a response: Can you say one positive thing and Barack Obama, as a politician, that in no way, shape, or form references George Bush or the Republicans?

Ask someone that. They'll struggle to give you a response.

I'm basically optimist; one of the few analogies that I can found between the United States and the Imperial Rome is that, most often than not, both have had extremely efficient political and administrative systems, so even mediocre rulers would have a hard time interfering with their right course.

Then, the national outcome is not so dependent on the head status as it is in other countries.

This obsessive cult of personality surrounding him worries me. No one should be given serious consideration for the highest elected office in this country based soley on popularity. Who is the man? What does he believe? What does he stand for? Do you know? Does anyone know? Does he know?

I have a question I ask Obama followers, and it's one that hasn't elicited a response: Can you say one positive thing and Barack Obama, as a politician, that in no way, shape, or form references George Bush or the Republicans?

"Yea, Verily", and it came to pass: your answer lies within this link.....

I have only an anagram for comment...

Barack Hussein Obama = "O.K., u can b Arab Messiah."

-- Nephele

Obama didn't sell out. He's finally showing his true colors. Despite popular opinion, and the thread of his official narrator, he is an old-fashioned politician playing old-fashioned politics. He's running as the Anti-Bush, anti-Republican, and that is it. His official narrative sells the idea that he's different and unique, but he's not. Every thing he has done so far is by-the-book. [...]

As much as I would have hated to admit it when I was caught up in the Obama hype, everything you said is entirely true. I only wish I had realized it sooner.

Being inexperienced as a voter and not nearly as up to date on the candidates as I should have been (I blame this partly on mounds of schoolwork and partly on my own decision to be lazy and relax instead of looking this stuff up when opportunities arose), I ended up turning to CNN in an attempt to catch up on the events and wound up falling for everything they said about Obama. I really did believe that he was as honest and unique as he said he was and that he would keep to his promises of "change."

Of course, when Hillary was out of the picture for good and he started to show his true colors, I was disillusioned, to say the least. He really is just another old-fashioned politician, and looking back on it now I can't believe I fell for everything the media told me so easily. It's embarrassing, really...and also sort of scary to think about how much power the media has in influencing the minds of the public. I can't speak for everyone of course, but most of the voters I know (myself included) made their decision in the primaries based on what they heard in the media.

I have no idea what I'm going to do for the presidential election at the moment...

McCain is definitely not an option for me (no offense to McCain supporters), but I'm pretty disappointed in Obama right now as well.

Edited by nina

I have no idea what I'm going to do for the presidential election at the moment...

McCain is definitely not an option for me (no offense to McCain supporters), but I'm pretty disappointed in Obama right now as well.

I would have thought that after so many years of republicanism, the US electorate would vote for a pig in a suit as long as it was democrat.

I would have thought that after so many years of republicanism, the US electorate would vote for a pig in a suit as long as it was democrat.

Hahahahaha! now that's funny!

Salve, NN

What do you have against pigs?

You know, Animal farm was just Orwellian fiction.

A pig probably could do a better job than Bush... :unsure: