UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

America Votes 2008

I, FVC, declare that I still like George Bush and I am not ashamed. I just like the guy for his personality, that's all.

As for the Messiah's foreign trips, the new Rasmussen and Gallup polls show that the trip was a smashing failure and more likely to motivate the Republican base.

On another note, I am annoyed at the fact that the Chosen One disregarded our wounded soldiers in Germany because he couldn't do a photo-op.

One more note, honestly Barach, can you just admit that the surge is successful and necessary.

I, FVC, declare that I still like George Bush and I am not ashamed. I just like the guy for his personality, that's all.

Why would you be ashamed for declaring your own political ideas(either I agree with them or not)?

That's just nuts.

Why would you be ashamed for declaring your own political ideas(either I agree with them or not)?

That's just nuts.

:) Oh, that comment was to poke fun at those with Bush DeRangement Syndrom. I still like Bush though.

An interesting development in the Democrat Convention: Hillary Clinton's name will be placed in nomination.

The recent events in Georgia vis-a-vis Russia turn the US election on its head.

Obama took a while to speak up but when he did he called "for restraint on both sides" and for the "UN Security Councel to meet and take action to calm the situation. It's as if he is not aware that Russia has a veto to any actions of the Security Council. Furthermore the US candidate quoted by Mikhail Saakashvili (government) was McCain " we are all Georgians". Any time the political discussion before the voting public departs from domestic issues Obama is at a disadvantage.

This may be why there is much comment in blogs that the whole Russian/Georgian flap was engineered by Bush, Cheney, and McCain so McCain can win the election.

On the Russia/Georgia Situation- some things we could do and what it may really be about.

The real objective is the Finlandization of Georgia through the removal of President Mikheil Saakashvili and his replacement by a Russian puppet. . . . Which explains Putin stopping the Russian army (for now) short of Tbilisi. . . .

Edited by Faustus

The recent events in Georgia vis-a-vis Russia turn the US election on its head.

. . .[/i]

Do you really think the American people are ready for yet another war, this one with Russia over Georgia? We have two already ongoing and one heating up with Iran. Where will the money come to pay for a war with Russia?

The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are completely financed with money borrowed from abroad, from China and others in the international money market. Almost none of the war expenditures have been budgeted for.

I don't think it's lost on us, the American people, that this kind of McCain big stick approach will bankrupt the country if carried to it's logical conclusion, a hot war with Russia. The millions of foreclosures we're suffering through has made us even more attune to cost of things.

Edited by Ludovicus

Where will the money come to pay for a war with Russia?

When there are no lenders, the central bank and treasury can simply hyperinflate the currency.

Do you really think the American people are ready for yet another war, this one with Russia over Georgia? We have two already ongoing and one heating up with Iran. Where will the money come to pay for a war with Russia?

Of course not, but street smart people (Some americans) understand to take something off the table in advance removes any cautions on the part of a potential foe. Never would the Bush Administration go into Iran, but what fool would ever state the obvious?

(edit) BTW my first post listed some do-able and reasonable options if anyone is interested rather than throwing out red herrings. . . HERE it is again, on "Sanctioning Russia". And Here's another: "Back To The USSR"

Faustus

Edited by Faustus

The US doesn't really need to go to war with Russia since the Russians won't dare attack us either. The only solution I'm seeing is to send in a Marine Brigade accompanied by mechanized forces(id tanks) and of course US attack planes(bombers). That is enough of a deterance for the Russian convoy to withdraw.

In my opinion, Russia is of course the bad guy.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

The US doesn't really need to go to war with Russia since the Russians won't dare attack us either. The only solution I'm seeing is to send in a Marine Brigade accompanied by mechanized forces(id tanks) and of course US attack planes(bombers). That is enough of a deterance for the Russian convoy to withdraw.

You are of course deluding yourself. We cannot win a confrontation with Russia, especially one on their doorstep!

You are of course deluding yourself. We cannot win a confrontation with Russia, especially one on their doorstep!

You clearly are misreading my comment and also are too pessimistic. First, I don't want shots to be fired. I want the US military to show itself as a buffer against Russian tanks and we'll easily win that confrontation. So Clodius, what do you suggest. Should we become defeatists and useless like Nato or the EU because now that would be delusional. Kowtowing to czar-like people such as Putin and his little puppet.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

You clearly are misreading my comment and also are too pessimistic. First, I don't want shots to be fired. I want the US military to show itself as a buffer against Russian tanks and we'll easily win that confrontation. So Clodius, what do you suggest. Should we become defeatists and useless like Nato or the EU because now that would be delusional. Kowtowing to czar-like people such as Putin and his little puppet.

What do you think we would do, as Americans, if the Russian Federation landed Russian marines on the coasts of Canada? Your suggestion would constitute an out and out provocation. Think more clearly.

This is the Caucasus, not Canada. Russia provoked the Georgians and so the Georgians call on us to help them. Why, because Russians are in Georgian territory and an American presence is most certainly welcomed in Tsibisi.

What do you suggest, let Russia run over our allies and install a puppet government. Such a letdown of that kind will screw us over for decades with our Eastern European allies.

What do you suggest, let Russia run over our allies and install a puppet government. Such a letdown of that kind will screw us over for decades with our Eastern European allies.

It has begun. We will see what talent or resolve the Europeans have for maintaining peace on their own continent, and at what cost. And this is bad timing for the Russians, because their actions may just help determine the outcome of an important American election, and that result may have been better for them had they delayed. Which candidated is likelly to be a serious negotiator? Obama just negotiated an agreement with the Clintons, and he stated that he gave them more than they asked for to show proper respect of HRC's accomplishment). (and to get them to go along peacefully)

(GARRY KASPAROV - leader of The Other Russia coalition }

How the West Fueled Putin's Sense of Impunity

quote]

you clearly are misreading my comment and also are too pessimistic. First, I don't want shots to be fired. I want the US military to show itself as a buffer against Russian tanks and we'll easily win that confrontation..... Should we become defeatists and useless like Nato or the EU because now that would be delusional. Kowtowing to czar-like people such as Putin and his little puppet.

Statements of Richard Holbrooke former Assistant Secretary of State in Clinton Administration who is in Tbilisi:

Russian soldiers seen wearing Georgian uniforms at checkpoints

Salve, Amici.

This is the Caucasus, not Canada. Russia provoked the Georgians and so the Georgians call on us to help them. Why, because Russians are in Georgian territory and an American presence is most certainly welcomed in Tsibisi.

From the International Herald Tribune (August 10, 2008):

"For U.S., bigger issues require Russian help

By Helene Cooper

WASHINGTON: The image of President George W. Bush smiling and chatting with Prime Minister Vladimir Putin of Russia from the stands of the Beijing Olympics, even as Russian aircraft were shelling Georgia, outlines the reality of America's Russia policy. While the United States considers Georgia its strongest ally in the bloc of former Soviet countries, Washington needs Russia too much on big issues like Iran to risk it all to defend Georgia.

And State Department officials made it clear Saturday that there was no chance the United States would intervene militarily".

READ MORE

I can't agree more with Ms. Cooper on this one (and the Bush administration too, BTW).