UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

America Votes 2008

If anyone has taken a look at the polls, then Palin certainly is a good choice. The question now is how long lasting the current numbers are.

All that the polls indicate is that she's popular with white women. It doesn't mean that she's a good choice to run the country in the event that McCain gets elected and can't finish his term of office.

I'm a woman and I'll be damned if I jump on any candidate's bandwagon simply because he's chosen a woman for his running mate.

-- Nephele

And another whackadoo nutso thing about Sarah Palin...

She named her daughter "Bristol."

WTF??

-- Nephele

And another thing about Sarah Palin...

WTF??

-- Nephele

Hmmm.....A Riddle:

If right now... today, Michelle Obama was

And another whackadoo nutso thing about Sarah Palin...

WTF??

-- Nephele

Hmmm.....A Riddle:

If right now... today, Michelle Obama was

"President America Changearama Whoopee"

Still sounds better to me than Palin naming her daughter "Boobie."

-- Nephele

You are so right, and I have to laugh at that.

I won't comment on the names Obama has given his two daughters in a negative way, but they are Malia and Sasha, and may be more revealing than "Bristol" which is the name of US cities in more than half the states (as well as Bristol Bay Borough, Alaska's first borough, and Bristol Bay, geographically in Alaska.) Obama's daughters are given fine names but they do suggest some things (not about the girls but about the parents giving the names): Malia has a latin stem, and Sasha is very Russian, cosmopolitan, with a vague connection to Alexander(-dra) and seems to mean "defender of mankind"

Omigawds. I'm still laughing after watching this:

A Nonpartisan Message from Sarah Palin & Hillary Clinton

Global warming: "It's just God hugging us closer!"

-- Nephele

-- Nephele

Phew - thank Dawkins this is a spoof! I can just imagine Palin saying something like that. Thomas Jefferson must be revolving in his grave...

-- Nephele

Phew - thank Dawkins this is a spoof! I can just imagine Palin saying something like that. Thomas Jefferson must be revolving in his grave...

I think it's hilariously spot-on for both of them. But particularly regarding Palin.

"Please, ask this one about dinosaurs..."

Gotta love the inspiration provided by last week's televised interview with the real Sarah Palin, by news anchor Charles Gibson, regarding the Bush Doctrine and other subjects.

Although the humor of it all is exceeded by more than a few sobering reservations, should McCain get elected and be unable to finish his term of office.

-- Nephele

She has a lot of self-confidence, hubris like Gibson said, or she believes that politics it's like playing poker where not blinking it's important. Maybe she stole the spotlight from Obama, but she is not able to make a good use of it, not because she has no qualities, but because the reality it's to dark to be covered up with bluffing. The Wall Street it's falling, 2 wars are fought in distant theatres, Russia and China are asserting themselves etc.

I must agree with Ms Barbra Streisand regarding the intelligence of American (sorry; Usonian) women:

"The oldest Presidential nominee in history, chose a running mate -- a person that is just a heartbeat away from the Presidency -- that has no foreign policy experience, no national experience and limited state government experience

I must agree with Ms Barbra Streisand regarding the intelligence of American (sorry; Usonian) women:

"....hear me Senator McCain: This calculated, cynical ploy to pull away a small percentage of Hillary's women voters from Barack Obama will not work. We are not that stupid!

Edited by Faustus

Salve, F

ASCLEPIADES, the stuff quoted from above will do more to attract attention to the positive qualities of Palin in the larger population of women than discourage them. Because Obama fears her is why he spent two weeks raging about her rather than focusing on his opponent.

Palin as Governor of Alaska maintained a "diplomatic relationship" with the country with the most power in the world: the United States manifest as the US Federal Government. In a state which the US government claims the vast preponderance of land and management and policy over that territory, this is not an inconsequential claim.

BTW Alaska has about the same population as Delaware, the home state of Joe Biden, and "Only four other states -- Maryland, New Jersey, New York and West Virginia -- concentrate as much power in the Governor's office as Alaska does, and only one state (Massachusetts) concentrates more*. California may be the nation's most populous state, but its Governor rates as below-average (3.2) in executive authority. This may account in part for Arnold Schwarzenegger's poor legislative track record. The lowest rating goes to Vermont (2.5), where the Governor (remember Howard Dean) is a figurehead compared to Mrs. Palin." (quoted from the WSJ-Wed Sept 10)

* (wsj) "For more than two decades Thad Beyle, a political scientist at the University of North Carolina, has maintained an index of "institutional powers" in state offices. He rates governorships on potential length of service, budgetary and appointment authority, veto power and other factors. Mr. Beyle's findings for 2008 rate Alaska at 4.1 on a scale of 5. The national average is 3.5."

What can I say?

So far, I have not found any flaw in your cleaver argumentation.

"....hear me Senator McCain: This calculated, cynical ploy to pull away a small percentage of Hillary's women voters from Barack Obama will not work. We are not that stupid!

Edited by Faustus

Also sorry to say I'm in the dark on the definition of usonian.

So am I...

Seriously, it is an alternative demonym (gentilic) for "American", analogous to "United Statesian", "Uesican", "United Stater" and similar adjectives.

In an ongoing THREAD the point was laboured that some sources may conflate 'American' with' United States' and in so doing does indeed create confusion where a more careful choice of words would make it clear.

So I'm trying to make a more careful choice.