UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nephele

DVD Sale at HMV

For the next few days (don't know how long), HMV has a special sale going on DVDs (with free delivery in the U.K.). I just got the announcement in my e-mail. Here's a link to a "dramatised documentary" on ancient Rome that sounds interesting. It stars Sean Pertwee (of Cadfael).

Ancient Rome: Rise & Fall of an Empire

"An epic recreation of an era ruled by the world's first superpower, ANCIENT ROME: THE RISE AND FALL OF AN EMPIRE is a major new six part, dramatised documentary. Detailing defining moments of Roman history, the series looks at the Jewish uprising, Julius Caesar's victory, among other things and culminates with the downfall of the Empire, itself."

The DVDs are produced for the U.K. market, so if you're in the U.S. (or any other country using the NTSC television system), you'll need a multi-region player for these.

-- Nephele

For the next few days (don't know how long), HMV has a special sale going on DVDs (with free delivery in the U.K.). I just got the announcement in my e-mail. Here's a link to a "dramatised documentary" on ancient Rome that sounds interesting. It stars Sean Pertwee (of Cadfael).

Ancient Rome: Rise & Fall of an Empire

"An epic recreation of an era ruled by the world's first superpower, ANCIENT ROME: THE RISE AND FALL OF AN EMPIRE is a major new six part, dramatised documentary. Detailing defining moments of Roman history, the series looks at the Jewish uprising, Julius Caesar's victory, among other things and culminates with the downfall of the Empire, itself."

The DVDs are produced for the U.K. market, so if you're in the U.S. (or any other country using the NTSC television system), you'll need a multi-region player for these.

-- Nephele

This series was shown in the UK about 18 months ago, we thoroughly discussed the highs and lows of each episode and unfortunately there were more lows than highs!

Take a look HERE

This series was shown in the UK about 18 months ago, we thoroughly discussed the highs and lows of each episode and unfortunately there were more lows than highs!

Take a look HERE

I seem to have missed that entire discussion last year, most likely because I wasn't able to watch the series at the time, being in the U.S. as I am. Thanks for that link!

I see you, nevertheless, stuck with the entire series, night by night, GPM. :ph34r: And I noticed that a few folks commented that the bits with Nero were done well. Sean Pertwee was cast in the role of Caesar? Now, that I'm having difficulty picturing.

I think I'll give it a go, nonetheless. Eh, it's cheap enough, being on sale at HMV.

-- Nephele

Take a look HERE

I seem to have missed that entire discussion last year, most likely because I wasn't able to watch the series at the time, being in the U.S. as I am. Thanks for that link!

I see you, nevertheless, stuck with the entire series, night by night, GPM. :wine: And I noticed that a few folks commented that the bits with Nero were done well. Sean Pertwee was cast in the role of Caesar? Now, that I'm having difficulty picturing.

I think I'll give it a go, nonetheless. Eh, it's cheap enough, being on sale at HMV.

-- Nephele

Yeah I stuck with it but I'm a sucker for anything Roman be it good or bad. The series on the whole wasn't bad I just felt it was all a bit rushed and some of the major facts were sacrificed in order to make the 1 hour show.

By all means buy it Neph, you must always make up your on mind on things like this, every ones tastes are different and for that price why not?? If you don't like it you can always carry it in your bag as a weapon of defence if you get attacked by any raving mad racist old hags! (again!) :ph34r:

If you don't like it you can always carry it in your bag as a weapon of defence if you get attacked by any raving mad racist old hags! (again!) :ph34r:

Yah, slappin' 'em in the head with a cheesy DVD will make a change from a sock full of pennies.

-- Nephele

Loads of the actors from ROME were cast in these docudrama's.

My biggest disappointment was the Tiberius Grachus episode having no character (or even mention of) Gaius Grachus!

That said I watched every one and plan on buying the DVD.....there's precious little to choose from out there so I buy what becomes available.

Okay. So I bought the DVD set and I've been watching this series. To its credit, it's an entertaining costume drama. I think maybe that's the best that can be said for it, though.

Just this evening I finished watching the episode about Tiberius Gracchus. Um... Weren't there two famous Gracchi brothers? Of course there were. But, from watching this episode, one gets the impression that Tiberius was an only child.

We see Tiberius campaigning for the office of Tribune, and we see him going out amongst the common folk of Rome, conversing with the populace and just brimming over with political conviviality...

So I say to my man (who was watching this with me): "Well, at least they don't depict Tiberius, the campaigning politician, kissing a baby. Because that would be really corny."

But almost just as I'm saying this... we next see a Roman woman hand over her spawn to Tiberius, who lovingly cradles it in his arms, smiles, and then he (aaaaargggh!) kisses the baby.

Ohhhhhh my gawds.

-- Nephele

Okay. So I bought the DVD set and I've been watching this series. To its credit, it's an entertaining costume drama. I think maybe that's the best that can be said for it, though.

Just this evening I finished watching the episode about Tiberius Gracchus. Um... Weren't there two famous Gracchi brothers? Of course there were. But, from watching this episode, one gets the impression that Tiberius was an only child.

We see Tiberius campaigning for the office of Tribune, and we see him going out amongst the common folk of Rome, conversing with the populace and just brimming over with political conviviality...

So I say to my man (who was watching this with me): "Well, at least they don't depict Tiberius, the campaigning politician, kissing a baby. Because that would be really corny."

But almost just as I'm saying this... we next see a Roman woman hand over her spawn to Tiberius, who lovingly cradles it in his arms, smiles, and then he (aaaaargggh!) kisses the baby.

Ohhhhhh my gawds.

-- Nephele

Told ya so!!! :(:P

Yeah I stuck with it but I'm a sucker for anything Roman be it good or bad. The series on the whole wasn't bad I just felt it was all a bit rushed and some of the major facts were sacrificed in order to make the 1 hour show.

The episode on Constantine was badly rushed in my opinion. Not only did it shove in some scene that had already been used in the previous episodes, but it also left out vital moments from Constaine's life...there is no mention of his involvement in Eboracum (York) or his founding of Constantinople. It also suggests that Constantine made a 100% conversion to Christianity following the Battle of Milvian Bridge, which is also false. He made use of Pagan symbols and religion for most of his life, not fully converting until he was on his deathbed.

Edited by DecimusCaesar

The episode on Constantine was badly rushed in my opinion. Not only did it shove in some scene that had already been used in the previous episodes, but it also left out vital moments from Constaine's life...there is no mention of his involvement in Eboracum (York) or his founding of Constantinople. It also suggests that Constantine made a 100% conversion to Christianity following the Battle of Milvian Bridge, which is also false. He made use of Pagan symbols and religion for most of his life, not fully converting until he was on his deathbed.

I'm not really as much into that period of Roman history as I am into the earlier periods, but I also got the impression that something was missing from the Constantine episode. I'm pretty certain I remember reading that Constantine's Christian convert mother was a huge influence on Constantine, as far as his policies towards Christians went. Have I got this correct? But there was absolutely no mention at all of Constantine's mother in this episode.

-- Nephele

I'm not really as much into that period of Roman history as I am into the earlier periods, but I also got the impression that something was missing from the Constantine episode. I'm pretty certain I remember reading that Constantine's Christian convert mother was a huge influence on Constantine, as far as his policies towards Christians went. Have I got this correct? But there was absolutely no mention at all of Constantine's mother in this episode.

-- Nephele

Constantine's mother was called Helena and in 326-28, she undertook a pigrimage to the Holy Land. It has been suggested that this pilgrimage was an act of expiation, either for her own sins or for those of her son. In the course of her journey Helena impressed Eusebius of Caesarea and others by her piety, humility, and charity. She played a role in the building of the Church of the Nativity at Bethlehem and the Church of the Eleona on Jerusalem's Mount of Olives; but the Church of the Holy Sepulcher seems to have been an undertaking of Constantine alone. A tradition more cherished than trustworthy credits Helena with the inventio of the True Cross.