UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
caldrail

What is it with Camels?

So the Florida/Cuba/West Indies land bridge existed, but not Panama? Hmm. I'm not that old yet, so I don't remember. :) I may have missed it, but were the American Camels the Dromedary type?

Well according to this, my source (whatever it was) is way off "Although true camels are considered Old World forms, they evolved and diversified in North America for most of their evolutionary history. Camels migrated over the Bering Straits Land Bridge into the Old World only 5-million years ago, some 40 million years after their first appearance in the fossil record. Llamas, now solely restricted to South America, also evolved in North America. They reached South America by crossing the Panamanian Land Bridge about 2-1.5 MA years ago, when it was newly formed. North American llamas and camels subsequently went extinct 11,000 years ago along with many other large mammals.

Today, llamas are found in the high plains (the Altiplano of the Andes Mountains) of South America, as well as in some areas of Paraguay. True camels are restricted to areas in northern China and the Arabian regions, however they are now mostly domesticated, with few wild populations left." http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fossilhall/Library/Llama/Llama.htm I guess the humps came later :)

Edited by Horatius

Did the Romans have a Camel Corps?

Well as you may remember from the Roman Camp thread (c/f link below) I did mention that Pseudo-Hyginus in his work on the 'Fortification of the Roman Camp' allocated five feet for camels and their riders so on that basis, even if they didn't have a full blown 'Corp' the Roman engineers did have the occasional need to make allowances for camel riders in setting up their marching camps. :)

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7903

Did the Romans have a Camel Corps?

There was a "camel corps", and the Wikipedia article, though very short, is accurate. All the Romans reportedly did, however, is hire local camel cavalry, and enlist them into the ranks of Auxilia. They were not very popular, as horses and camels really don't get along.

Same sort of thing was tried in the US Southwest during post-civil war days. Didn't work well there, either.

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php...ght=dromedarius

Edited by M. Demetrius

Today, llamas are found in the high plains (the Altiplano of the Andes Mountains) of South America, as well as in some areas of Paraguay.

And some areas of england too. I know of at least two llama farms.

Today, llamas are found in the high plains (the Altiplano of the Andes Mountains) of South America, as well as in some areas of Paraguay.

And some areas of england too. I know of at least two llama farms.

There are llamas and alpacas all over Central Texas. The llamas are used as coyote defenders for those who raise sheep and goats. They spit goo at the coyotes, and will kick and stomp them. Coyotes move on to easier prey, evidently. One of our near neighbors raises llamas, and they shear them for wool (she's a spinner).

North American llamas and camels subsequently went extinct 11,000 years ago along with many other large mammals.

And the horse. I wonder if there was a cataclysmic event here around that time...corresponding with the last Ice Age?

Edited by M. Demetrius

Yes. It was a series of climatic changes called the Ice Ages :) Plus the arrival of mankind, which did local fauna no favours whatsoever.

I don't know about you, but I think I've discovered the truth about american policy in the middle east. Forget terrorism, forget oil. What the americans really want is their camels back. Now if you'll excuse me, there's several men in black combat gear abseiling down from helicopters outside my house and I think they want to have a word with me.... ;)

Better than having several men in white medical gear trying to force you in a shirt with long sleeves... :)

I think that romans are the ones that had spreaded the camel from Asia to Sahara.

I don't know about you, but I think I've discovered the truth about american policy in the middle east. Forget terrorism, forget oil. What the americans really want is their camels back. Now if you'll excuse me, there's several men in black combat gear abseiling down from helicopters outside my house and I think they want to have a word with me.... ;)

Better than having several men in white medical gear trying to force you in a shirt with long sleeves... :)

I think that romans are the ones that had spreaded the camel from Asia to Sahara.

? The Sahara had always had camels, they're just different from steppe camels.

I have read somewhere that the camel was introduced to north africa in ancient times (not necessarily by romans), and that there was a unit of roman camel corps in egypt by the 2nd century AD. For the most part, the camel was a beast of burden, even pulling ploughs.

Here's another interesting ( or boring!!!) camel fact.......

Australia is the worlds largest exporter of camels!

Yes, and it lowers the overall IQ of their country dramatically.

Look, I am trying to be good today. Stop tempting me!

:ph34r:

Go on, you know you want to. Aussies are such easy targets!

Go on, you know you want to. Aussies are such easy targets!

OK, since I have your permission.

I didn't know that Aussies had an IQ. :ph34r:

We, both, have nothing better to do today! :unsure:

Edited by Gaius Octavius