UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Stimulus Package

Moonlapse

Stimulus Package  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What will you do with your stimulus package money?

• Invest it
    • Buy precious metal
    • Debt payment
    • Save it
    • Spend it
    • Donate
    • Other

I really only have one option: pay off debt. It's either going to student loans (that $600 almost covers one month's payment) or to credit card. It would be great to spend it on something else, but I'm not in a position to do much else with it.

What makes me puzzled is when I hear those who admit to being in debt, and say they'll spend the money on frivolous items. Now, if you're in debt and, say, need to fix the car/house or get things for the family, I totally understand using the money for that. Or putting it aside to buy groceries and gas. But if you're up to your eyeballs in debt, and say you are going to spend it on a trip or some other luxury...seriously...is there any wonder why you're in debt? Just give me the money...I'll put it to good use!

I somehow doubt that I and a fair few others visiting the board would qualify for any such package so we will probably again end up thoroughly unstimulated by anything Bush wants to waffle on about :P

Is this a package which comes in before, or after the coming presidential elections?

Before likely in March/April. The exact details are still subject to wrangling since it has yet to pass the Senate, but the vast majority of taxpayers will receive a rebate. It will be roughly something like $300 to $500 per individual with a maximum of $1,200 or so for a family.

I somehow doubt that I and a fair few others visiting the board would qualify for any such package so we will probably again end up thoroughly unstimulated by anything Bush wants to waffle on about

This one is actually quite bi-partisan. The devil is in the details of course, but pretty much every American taxpayer will get something.

Is this a package which comes in before, or after the coming presidential elections?

*In theory* we're set to get the money in May/June of this year...

IN retrospect, Doc is probably much more accurate with her timing prediction than my previous suggestion of March/April...

I can't help but be somewhat bitterly amused by the fact that my government is making a "gift" to me of my own money -- and not anywhere near as much as my government already took from me this past year.

What will I do with this "free money"? What I would have done with it before the government coerced it out of me. Which is put it BACK into my bank account and draw on it at my own discretion, as my needs and inclinations dictate.

-- Nephele