UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Northern Neil

What movies have you seen recently?

I've watched "Silk", a film based on a novel by Italian writer Alessandro Baricco, starring Keira Knightley and Michael Pitt. I wasn't particularly impressed with the book, whose style seemed a parody of that of Gustave Flaubert, and the film seems to be a loyal adaptation...

Oh, and apparently there will be a fourth Pirates of the Caribbean film, I wish they had continued to follow the Monkey Island videogames storyline...has anyone played the games?

A little bit of one of the Monkey Island games. Not my kind of humor.

May the gods bless anyone willing to stop a 4th Pirates movie. One was good. Two was decent. Three where with doubt accepted. Four? You really don't want to go there.

Saw 'I am legend' Last night. Same plot as Omega Man. Not as long. Watched 'Flyboys' again. I have warmed to it.

Reminded me of "The Silent Earth"

I watched 'American Gangster'. Went to the movies (films), did the whole bit. The movie was good, I thought, but perhaps you have to gangster movies to begin with. A friend who accompanied me thought it was boring.

Rescue Dawn. It's the story of Dieter Dengler, a U.S. pilot who escaped a prisoner camp in Laos, starring the excellent acting of Christian Bale.

I saw this movie recently too, it was excellent and in my opinion Christian Bale has got to be the finest actor around at the moment.

I saw this movie recently too, it was excellent and in my opinion Christian Bale has got to be the finest actor around at the moment.

Hard to argue that. I've enjoyed everything I've seen with him in it. The Machinist (while it may not have broad popular appeal) is particularly reflective of Bale's talent.

Hard to argue that. I've enjoyed everything I've seen with him in it. The Machinist (while it may not have broad popular appeal) is particularly reflective of Bale's talent.

I totally agree, The pain and turmoil he must have had to go through to get his body into that appalling physical condition must have been unbearable. I like the idea of actors "getting in to the character" but to go that far must take real dedication.

Bale was even thinner in THE MACHINIST. In AMERICAN PSYCHO he had the muscular physique of something like a sprinter....so he's not naturally skinny to begin with.

I wonder if he could gain weight like DeNiro did for the latter parts of RAGING BULL?

CASEY AFFLECK is an upcoming young actor that I intend to follow. His portrayal of the awkward and naive 'ROBERT FORD', hero worshipping BRAD PITT'S 'JESSE JAMES' is fantastic!

Just watched Apocalypse Now (Director's cut) for the first time. I really didnt know what to make of it. It needs a second watch, I think. Very strange film.

in my opinion Christian Bale has got to be the finest actor around at the moment.

Agreed. And interestingly enough, he'll probably never top his childhood performance in "Empire of the Sun." The greatest child acting performance of all time IMO.

We watched "Eastern Promises" last night. It's a Russian "mafia" movie set in London and stars Viggo Mortenson. It was an interesting film, but ended rather abruptly. Just as it started to get quite good, it ended without resolving several open plotlines. If you like mob movies, it was ok. If you like Viggo Mortenson, there is a scene where he gets into a knife fight with two guys in a bathhouse... while completely naked. :lol:

in my opinion Christian Bale has got to be the finest actor around at the moment.

Agreed. And interestingly enough, he'll probably never top his childhood performance in "Empire of the Sun." The greatest child acting performance of all time IMO.

"Empire of the Sun" is a fantastic film, I remember watching this when I was a kid. I'd forgot that Christian Bale had been in it. I'll have to keep my eye's open for this film again.

Just watched Apocalypse Now (Director's cut) for the first time. I really didnt know what to make of it. It needs a second watch, I think. Very strange film.

This has got to be one of the most over rated war films ever, I thought it was weird and boring, it's not a patch on "Platoon" or "Full Metal Jacket". Even "Hamburger Hill" is better than this. IMO off course.

The Mel Gibson film "We Were Soldiers" is one of the best war films I've seen in a long time.

This has got to be one of the most over rated war films ever, I thought it was weird and boring, it's not a patch on "Platoon" or "Full Metal Jacket". Even "Hamburger Hill" is better than this. IMO off course.

The Mel Gibson film "We Were Soldiers" is one of the best war films I've seen in a long time.

Saw Stardust the other day. A fun movie: not to be taken seriously, of course. It's like "Harry Potter meets the midieval sorceress sisterhood with the Princess Bride somewhere in the background." Fun.

I agree that We Were Soldiers was good. Sam Shepherd stole the show with his dry lines. "...well, if I need one (a rifle) there will be plenty of them lying on the ground...."

Edited by M. Demetrius

Saw "Dukes of Hazard" last night on cable TV. Jessica Simpson - what a talented actress. Her performance left me salivating for more.