UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Northern Neil

What movies have you seen recently?

Saw "Dukes of Hazard" last night on cable TV. Jessica Simpson - what a talented actress. Her performance left me salivating for more.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing this post was sarcasm.

Please! Say its sarcasm.

Saw "Dukes of Hazard" last night on cable TV. Jessica Simpson - what a talented actress. Her performance left me salivating for more.

Those two movies are quite funny.

Have anyone seen Cloverfield yet? I'm not 100% sure on the title, from the trailers it's looking like another Godzilla rip-off.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing this post was sarcasm.

Please! Say its sarcasm.

I may have been salivating at Ms. Simpson, but not at her acting.

If the 'black guy' is based on Eugene Ballard then he does hold the unique position of being the first (and only?) Black guy to fly in the First World War, having first served in the French Foreign Legion before transferring to the Lafayette Flying Corps after being wounded at Verdun.

On checking this out, it happens that the black guy indeed WAS based on Eugene Bullard, who I previously knew nothing about. During his career as a pilot for the French air service, he shot down two enemy aircraft. This link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Bullard gives more info. In future, I will research more thoroughly before I comment... :D

The two things do not exclude each other. They put the 'black guy' in the movie to increase the appeal and they choose a 'black guy' that existed.

Have anyone seen Cloverfield yet? I'm not 100% sure on the title, from the trailers it's looking like another Godzilla rip-off.

Yes, I watched Cloverfield on the big screen with a couple of mates. It's a lot better than Godzilla (the lead actor looks like he actually wants the role, the monster is convincing) but that's not saying much. The mysterious marketing campaign was the best thing about the movie. OK if you like monster films, I guess.

Yes, I watched Cloverfield on the big screen with a couple of mates. It's a lot better than Godzilla (the lead actor looks like he actually wants the role, the monster is convincing) but that's not saying much. The mysterious marketing campaign was the best thing about the movie. OK if you like monster films, I guess.

Well watching a dozen of the old Japanese Godzilla movies would probably make up for me enjoying monster films :)

I will give it a chance when it comes by.

Last night I saw "Vince Vaughn's Wild West Comedy Show." It chronicles a 30-day tour around the country that Vince Vaughn did with some comedians, showing both bits of their acts and the backstage stuff. I really found it to be good; the comedians are good, but also it was great to see the ups and downs that the comedians, Vince Vaughn (who is the producer of the show and of the movie) and everyone behind the scenes go through. I dated a comedian for a few months, and it was hauntingly familiar. Anyway, if you get a chance, it's a good one to watch.

Yes, I mentioned having seen Cloverfield in the first page of this topic. The producers were aware of the possibility of folks calling it a Godzilla rip-off, hence the bit of deliberate irony in the movie, that I noted in my earlier posting.

The movie actually has a few darkly humorous little bits in it, which might go unnoticed amidst all the destruction and mayhem.

-- Nephele

I think you might appreciate

then Ursus.

Enjoy!!

Last eve I watched King Kong. (It shows again on TNT Tonight, Sunday 13 April) I saw the original my one and only time as a boy in something like the year 1950. It was already 17 years old then, and why it enjoyed such a renewal in that year I have no idea, except that it had spurred a series of movies in the monster genre in the years following 1933. One of those movies was Mighty Joe Young which was produced in 1949. That premier of MJY may have been the reason Kong was re-introduced to the movie-going public, perhaps as a complement, giving it a new public airing with showings of both as a "set".

The 2005 version stars Naomi Watts (one of the best/Mulholland Drive), Adrien Brody, and Jack Black. (all B grade actors). For me it seemed to be well done, excepting the quick action of such a large creature as a 25

Edited by Faustus

Horton Hears a Hoo

The Bee Movie

Horton Hears a Hoo

The Bee Movie

About five years back, Bottom Line/Personal Magazine listed ten

Last night I watched Nacho Liebre, starring Jack Black as a Mexican/Norwegian Wrestling Monk. I laughed my arse off. I recommend it, but it is one of those movies that polarises opinions.

Horton Hears a Hoo

G-Man, is that a typo for Horton Hears a Who, or Horton Hears a Ho?

I didn't think you'd be bringing the kids to see Horton Hears a Ho.

-- Nephele

I watched 'American Gangster'. Went to the movies (films), did the whole bit. The movie was good, I thought, but perhaps you have to gangster movies to begin with. A friend who accompanied me thought it was boring.

Being such a Russell Crowe fan, I have not seen it yet. Not a movie to see with kids around.