UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Northern Neil

What movies have you seen recently?

Last night I watched Nacho Liebre, starring Jack Black as a Mexican/Norwegian Wrestling Monk. I laughed my arse off. I recommend it, but it is one of those movies that polarises opinions.

I like that one also! Funny!

My family watched "I am Legend" and "Enchanted" on the same night. A strange experience. Last night I watched the "The Memory Keeper's Daughter". It is good!

I recommend "3:10 To Yuma" and "Rescue Dawn"

The Maltese Falcon. Casablanca. Love At First Bite. The Sky Above. Das Boot. Can't remember the proper name, but it was something like 'Bananno _____'.

It's the school holidays here in NZ, so I went to the movies with my kids and their grandad to see Horton Hears a Hoo. If you have children, Take Them To This Movie. It's a laugh riot and better than the other Seuss adaptations. Jim Carrey and Steve Farrells' comedic talent translate really well to animation, especially since this movie doesn't use the old cartoon trick of making the characters resemble their voice talent. My two girls were still laughing about bits in the movie when I was putting them to bed, and the next morning when I got home from work for breakfast!

I also watched Iron Man the other night on burnt DVD. My son and I almost had puppies, finally seeing the Tony Stark all armoured up in the red and gold. The special effects were seamless, especially with regards to Iron Man's armour, which is after all the real star of the show. Not much of a plot (it is a comic adaptation!) but if you go to a Marvel movie looking for that you've wasted your money. If you want plots, by the comic! Iron Man was Cool, to quote my son. Boys of all ages will love this movie. Can't wait for the new Hulk.

Edited by cornelius_sulla

I watched on DVD the spanish movie Alatriste starring Viggo Mortensen. Not the best film I've seen, but a decent one. The action it's set in Spain during the 30 Years War and the movie has a nice battle scene, the best for pike-and-shot warfare I've seen.

We recently got a Blue-Ray DVD player to go with our home theater and 42" widescreen TV. Last night, we watched the Blue Ray edition of Kingdom of Heaven and were totally blown away, especially during the siege of Jerusalem. Just about anything, even pre-Hi-Def DVDs, look *so* much better with Blue Ray. Can't wait for Master and Commander, and I hope, probably in vain, that The Wind and the Lion gets the treatment, as well.

I recently watched Carandiru, a Brazilian film based on the true story of the biggest prison riot in history, where armed police officers stormed the prison in 1992 and killed and injured a few hundred people.

I watched Rocky Balboa (Rocky VI I think). Hahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahha.

That's all I have to say about that.

Also just finished watching 28 weeks later... not quite as good as the original, but still well done if you like the post-apocalyptic/horror/thriller genre.

I'm looking forward to the new Indiana Jones movie due out in a couple of weeks. Anyone else?

-- Nephele

I'm looking forward to the new Indiana Jones movie due out in a couple of weeks. Anyone else?

-- Nephele

Oddly enough, me too. Because I like to control the volume we'll wait for the DVD. My bride doesn't like theatres at any rate. But . . . it would be nice to get some movie popcorn.

I watched one of my favorite films last night, "The Usual Suspects", it doesn't matter how many times I see this film I still think it's brilliant. A very clever movie.

C'mon Nephele!! Who doesn't like a bit of Indy! The man's a legend! Even if he is touching 80 yrs old! :lol:

-- Nephele

Oddly enough, me too. Because I like to control the volume we'll wait for the DVD. My bride doesn't like theatres at any rate. But . . . it would be nice to get some movie popcorn.

I'm not too fond of movie palaces either, Faustus, and generally prefer to wait for the DVD. In movie palaces, I constantly find myself distracted by horrible thoughts of what might be stuck on the bottom of my movie seat.

But with the discount movie tix I've been getting as an "extra" from my cable service, and the fact that there are a few movies that I just can't wait to see months later on DVD, I find myself giving in more and more and braving the booger buckets.

C'mon Nephele!! Who doesn't like a bit of Indy! The man's a legend! Even if he is touching 80 yrs old! :lol:

GPM, he's only 65! :lol: Now, Sean Connery had just turned 58 when he appeared as Professor Henry Jones Senior in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and he was HOT! Hotter even (if you ask me) than he ever was in any of his Bond pictures.

But you're right, Indy is a legend. The only Indy movie that ever sucked was Temple of Doom. But the other Indy movies, I give them two snaps of the bull whip and a circle 'round the archaeological dig.

-- Nephele

-- Nephele

It's either going to be really good, or else really suck. I don't see much of a middle ground here.

I didn't think you'd be bringing the kids to see Horton Hears a Ho.

*bows head in shame* Look .. I tried telling her to keep it down when we heard Horton skulking about outside, but she was just so into her work...