UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What movies have you seen recently?

Northern Neil

I have a season ticket for our local "film nouveau" cinema. It is relatively cheap and i have that way the chance to see outstanding films made with little money and stars, but great performances, stories and emotions with my friends that i wouldnt bother to watch otherwise..

The movie that moved me the most this year was The Diving Bell and the Butterfly The film describes Bauby's life after suffering a massive stroke at the age of 43, which left him with a condition known as locked-in syndrome. The condition paralyzed him; his only remaining means of communication was the blinking of his left eyelid.

The movie i look forward the most this year is the newest Bond "Quantum of Solace", partly because i think Craig is the perfect guy for the 21st century bond and partly because many szenes are done in Austria, so we get plenty of infos daily in our local press...

cheers

viggen

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Nephele and a few others, I look forward to the new Indiana Jones movie. This one hasn't been hyped as much as Star Wars Episode I was when it was first released. Apparently George Lucas is getting ready for some sort of backlash as he's been telling eager cinemagoers to not have high expectations for this film. For a lot of long time Indiana Jones fans, it's hard to stay neutral on the subject.

Just watched Stanley Kubricks 'Full Metal Jacket', What a great film!

That guy really knew how to make great movies.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman:

What's your name fat-body?

Private Gomer Pyle:

Sir, Leonard Lawrence, sir.

Lawrence? Lawrence what of Arabia?

Private Gomer Pyle:

Sir, No, sir.

That name sounds like royalty are you royalty?

Private Gomer Pyle:

Sir, No, sir.

Do you suck dicks?

Private Gomer Pyle:

Sir, No, sir.

Bullshit. I bet you could suck a golfball through a garden hose.

Private Gomer Pyle:

Sir, No, sir.

I don't like the name Lawrence, only faggots and sailors are called Lawrence. From now on you're Gomer Pyle.

Hahaha! You're the lowest form of life on earth! You're not even human fucking beings! You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian shit!

Lemme see your WAR FACE!

AHHHHHHHHHH!

-- Nephele

Just watched Stanley Kubricks 'Full Metal Jacket', What a great film!

Bullshit. I bet you could suck a golfball through a garden hose.

Private Gomer Pyle:

Sir, No, sir.

I don't like the name Lawrence, only faggots and sailors are called Lawrence. From now on you're Gomer Pyle.

I submit it's never as good nor as funny in film as it was to actually be there:

Sergeant Kling to Private Darnell, a "boot" who always seemed to march with his mouth wide open:

Sgt. Kling:

What are you looking for Private Darr-nell? A peter?

Pvt Darnell:

Sir! No sir!

Faustus

Edited by Faustus

Hahaha! You're the lowest form of life on earth! You're not even human fucking beings! You are nothing but unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian shit!

AHHHHHHHHHH!

-- Nephele

THIS has got to be the best one.

Incidentally did you know that R.Lee Ermey who played Gunnery Sergeant Hartman was actually a real life drill instructor in the Marines before he took up acting.

Full Metal Jacket is a brilliant film. A lot of people find the Vietnam section to be pretty poor, but I thought it was well made. I'm a fan of Stanley Kubrick and I hope to see all of his films one day, but so far I have seen:

The Killing (1956)

Paths of Glory (1957)

Spartacus (1960)

Dr. Strangelove (1964)

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

A Clockwork Orange (1971)

Barry Lyndon (1975)

The Shining (1980)

Full Metal Jacket (1987)

Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

I still need to see Fear and Desire, Killer's Kiss and Lolita.

Iron Man with my kids. Robert Downey had quite a few scenes where he had to act like a spaced out junky, and boy was he convincing.

As far as Marvel Comic adaptations go, Iron Man was OK.

Iron Man with my kids. Robert Downey had quite a few scenes where he had to act like a spaced out junky, and boy was he convincing.

As far as Marvel Comic adaptations go, Iron Man was OK.

I saw Iron man with a friend last week. It was a pretty good film - although action junkies might find it a bit plodding. I personally found it to be well paced. It also seems obvious that the film will get a sequel, especially if you wait till the end credits have rolled.

I also watched I am Legend. It was very well done for the first half of the film, but the second half seemed rushed by comparison. I heard that Richard Matheson's 1950's novel was very different to the film, considering it contained talking vampires instead of mute zombies.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm looking forward to the new Indiana Jones movie due out in a couple of weeks. Anyone else?

-- Nephele

It's either going to be really good, or else really suck. I don't see much of a middle ground here.

It seems there's mistakes galore in the new Indy movie.......

Most of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" takes place in Peru, but many Peruvians are suffering heartburn after seeing the movie's many clumsy -- and often insulting -- mistakes about their country.Viewers here cringed when the world's most famous fictional archaeologist arrives in Peru and announces that he learned to speak Quechua, the language of indigenous people across the Andes, when he was captured by Mexican revolutionary Pancho Villa.

Villa and his revolutionaries raided the US town of Columbus, New Mexico in 1916 -- and in an episode of the 1990s TV show, "The Young Indiana Jones," the young Jones is kidnapped.

But Villa's men spoke Spanish, not Quechua, which is spoken by some 10 million people in places like Peru, Bolivia, and Ecuador.

"This is outrageous," said Hugo Neyra, who heads Peru's National Library.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jDLM2N...3NpMxbxKJ0gYmaw

I saw a pirated copy of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" today. It opened with the Elvis Presley song 'Hound Dog'. It is set in the 50's, of course, a period I am particularly fond of historically, musically, sartorially and regards my personal style.

Its ALWAYS Elvis now, isnt it? Not Jerry Lee, Carl Perkins, Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent or the rest - just 'Elvis'. As I walk down the street in my very parochial cul -de-sac of a town, 'Hey - Elvis!' is the only taunt the local trolls can think of to throw at me for daring to look slightly different.

Anyway, apart from that I quite enjoyed the film. Obviously the James - Dean/Marlon Brando character was a good innovation, even though he was riding a Harley (Good ol' sponsorship - fly the flag, son!) and not a BSA or Triumph. I quite liked one bit where he woke up to find himself in a town full of life - size mannekins of people shopping, or in family groups, realising suddenly he was in a nuclear test zone. I wont elaborate because it will spoil the story, but it was for me the eeriest part of the film.

Edited by Northern Neil

I went to see the new Indiana Jones movie today...

It was horribly silly. :)

NN, c'mon, you've got to agree -- the origin of the "crystal skull"? That whole bit near the end with the ____ and the _____ whirling around? (I won't give away any spoilers).

I mean, c'mon. Too silly even for fun.

-- Nephele

I went to see the new Indiana Jones movie today...

It was horribly silly. :)

NN, c'mon, you've got to agree -- the origin of the "crystal skull"? That whole bit near the end with the ____ and the _____ whirling around? (I won't give away any spoilers).

I mean, c'mon. Too silly even for fun.

-- Nephele

Yep, you are quite right, it was silly to ridiculous extremes - not to mention a couple of dozen heavily armed soviets on U.S. territory, in an era in which they wouldn't have had a prayer. But, as Lucius says, it was good clean family fun.