UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What movies have you seen recently?

Northern Neil

Thanks for the review. I had been worried that is exactly what would happen. I can now skip it.

I went to see the new Indiana Jones movie today...

It was horribly silly. :)

NN, c'mon, you've got to agree -- the origin of the "crystal skull"? That whole bit near the end with the ____ and the _____ whirling around? (I won't give away any spoilers).

I mean, c'mon. Too silly even for fun.

-- Nephele

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was horribly silly. :(

NN, c'mon, you've got to agree -- the origin of the "crystal skull"? That whole bit near the end with the ____ and the _____ whirling around? (I won't give away any spoilers).

-- Nephele

Yep, you are quite right, it was silly to ridiculous extremes - not to mention a couple of dozen heavily armed soviets on U.S. territory, in an era in which they wouldn't have had a prayer. But, as Lucius says, it was good clean family fun.

After reading MPC's posting about the article from Archaeology magazine titled "The True Legend of the Crystal Skull", I thought, going in to see the new Indiana Jones movie, that there was so much they could do with that legend.

But the movie was just a re-hashing of used themes, with goddamn

SPACE ALIENS

tossed into the mix, for crapsake. It had none of the wit of the first and third Indy movies (which, yes, were silly, too, but at least they were fun silly, and cleverly done).

I've got nothing against "good, clean family fun." I just protest the belief that "good, clean family fun" has to entail dumb movies. It doesn't.

I'm going to use the board's spoiler feature here, to post my major complaints about this latest Indiana Jones movie. If you want to read the spoilers, you'll have to click the "reply" button to this posting.

First off, any movie that has an excess of dumb animal sight gags in it, has already earned my five tomato rating. From the stupid, fake-looking, hand-puppet groundhogs that kept popping out of the desert to regard Indy's antics, to the elastic python serving as handy rope, to the irritatingly cute monkeys swinging along with the James Dean character on jungle vines

It was horribly silly. :(

-- Nephele

You seem to forget that Raiders had a melting Nazis scene - just as excessive as the end of the Crystal Skull, methinks.

I absolutely loved it. It worked within the framework of an Indiana Jones film, but progressed with the time within which it was set. While the first ones were very much in keeping with the 1930s adventure book, Crystal Skull was quite a cool homage to the 1950s 'B movie': Tarzan, horror, ants, outrageous communists, ____ etc. Therefore it is supposed to be shamelessly over-the-top!

Edited by WotWotius

Crystal Skull was quite a cool homage to the 1950s 'B movie': Tarzan, horror, ants, outrageous communists, ____ etc.

The nuclear bomb radiation-produced giant tarantula and fifty-foot woman were missing. And, while Natasha was minus her Boris, it was easy to guess who Moose and Squirrel were.

-- Nephele

The nuclear bomb radiation-produced giant tarantula and fifty-foot woman were missing.

The tarantula came along after the fridge scene. They must have cut it out...

Damn!

-- Nephele

Crystal Skull was quite a cool homage to the 1950s 'B movie':

But does one really need a homage to 1950's B movies? I'm thinking no....

I'll wait till my cousin gets the dvd in a few months.

That depends entirely on how one perceives film. I personally class a film as 'good' if it leans towards some form of artist value or acts as a source of disposable entertainment. The Crystal Skull certainly leans towards the latter, and does this very well, which is probably why I do not have a problem with its B movies references. It is all too annoying when these 'disposable entertainment films' attempt to have some form of artist temperament and produce something as half-baked and mediocre as, say, the Hulk or Blade III. The fact that films such as Indiana Jones and Transformers are shamelessly over-the-top as well as being completely devoid of plot is something I find...well, refreshing. Some may say that this is the beginning of a cultural wasteland in cinema; I, on the other hand, commend these films for not beating around the bush and just sticking with explosions!

Coming back to the point I made earlier about a fake artist temperament in action films, I have found a fake trailer that hammers it home:

Coming back to the point I made earlier about a fake artist temperament in action films, I have found a fake trailer that hammers it home:

There's a rather obvious difference between that "Tetris the Movie Trailer" you linked, and the new Indiana Jones movie.

That "Tetris the Movie Trailer" is quite a clever parody of the enduring old video game obsession.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, on the other hand, uses dumb sight gags (see my spoilers above, particularly relating to groundhogs or prairie dogs or whatever those hand-puppet things were) and cornball schmaltz (particularly for the movie's final scene -- again, see my spoilers above) to tell a story that lacks the wit of a parody (if the intent of the movie was to be a parody of the Indy legend). Furthermore, Crystal Light -- oops, I mean Crystal Skull -- really doesn't even pay a particularly decent homage to '50s movies (if that was the intent of the movie, as well).

But, hey, if it floats your amphibious vehicle over not one, not two, but three misplaced Peruvian waterfalls, then enjoy.

-- Nephele

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, on the other hand, uses dumb sight gags (see my spoilers above, particularly relating to groundhogs or prairie dogs or whatever those hand-puppet things were) and cornball schmaltz (particularly for the movie's final scene -- again, see my spoilers above)...

Yes, unfortunately, that is the cutesy influence of George Lucus showing its ugly head... damn you, Jar Jar Binks!

But, hey, if it floats your amphibious vehicle over not one, not two, but three misplaced Peruvian waterfalls, then enjoy.

I shall. :)

Edited by WotWotius

Just watched Stanley Kubricks 'Full Metal Jacket', What a great film!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman:

Bullshit. I bet you could suck a golfball through a garden hose.

Private Gomer Pyle:

Sir, No, sir.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman:

I don't like the name Lawrence, only faggots and sailors are called Lawrence. From now on you're Gomer Pyle.

I submit it's never as good nor as funny in film as it was to actually be there:

Sergeant Kling to Private Darnell, a "boot" who always seemed to march with his mouth wide open:

Sgt. Kling:

What are you looking for Private Darr-nell? A peter?

Pvt Darnell:

Sir! No sir!

Faustus

I can only thank the gods that I have never seen this masterpiece!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the new Hulk movie, The Inredible Hulk. I reckon this one is better than Ang Lee's effort with Eric Bana as the big greenie, especially if you are a fan of The Hulk comics.

When you see a movie about the angry green behemoth, there is a short checklist of things you want to see him do. It goes like this...

1. HULK SMASH

....which he did, often, with fantastic CGI results. I loved it and so did my kids. This time he gets to take on 'The Abomination', another large green angry type who is the only being in the Marvel Comics Universe who can match The Hulksters raw power. In the last Hulk movie, he beat up on a city. *Yawn*. This time he gets to smash another being, who smashes back! Their clashes were great. I reccomend it to those of you who like their escapism completely detached from reality.

I saw the new Hulk movie, The Inredible Hulk. I reckon this one is better than Ang Lee's effort with Eric Bana as the big greenie, especially if you are a fan of The Hulk comics.

When you see a movie about the angry green behemoth, there is a short checklist of things you want to see him do. It goes like this...

1. HULK SMASH

....which he did, often, with fantastic CGI results. I loved it and so did my kids. This time he gets to take on 'The Abomination', another large green angry type who is the only being in the Marvel Comics Universe who can match The Hulksters raw power. In the last Hulk movie, he beat up on a city. *Yawn*. This time he gets to smash another being, who smashes back! Their clashes were great. I reccomend it to those of you who like their escapism completely detached from reality.

Hulk vs. Cloverfield Monster -- who do you think would win?

-- Nephele

Everything you need to know about the popular movies in 30 seconds, brought to you by:

Angry Alien Productions and the 30-Second Bunnies Theatre

-- Nephele