UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Movies Listed In September

Viggen

Here are all the movies we listed in September;

Gladiator by Ridley Scott

Spartacus by Stanley Kubrick

Ben Hur by William Wyler

Passion of the Christ by Mel Gibson

feel free to comment or discuss any of those movies listed above, has anyone seen one of those already?

cheers

viggen

Saw the first three of them.

Spartacus: One of my absolute favorite movies, due mostly to the memorable performances and the stirring battle scenes. Not quite historically accurate, but good for what it was. However, the theme of Pagan Rome being an evil tyrannical empire that should fall to the progressive forces of history, as stated in the prologue, was a little overdone I thought.

Ben Hur: A movie that is rightly praised for a wide variety of cinematic triumphs. However, the portrayel of pagan Rome as an evil overlord that will eventually succumb to a more humanitarian religious order is again present in the film. The view is a bit one sided I feel. This seemed to be the standard presentation of ancient Rome in media until very recently.

Gladiator: Loved the sets and costumes. But didn't think much of everything else. Just another Hollywood blockbuster more interested in action than history. If Rome is treated like a violent place (which it was) at least it's not another film that is seen through a specifically hostile perspective.

Can anyone make an epic film about the Roman Empire that also shows the benefits of Roman imperialism, rather than just the downside of Roman imperialism?