UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jauchart

Origin of "Laus Deo"

Does the term "Laus Deo" date from Roman paganism, or from later, and if so, do you know when?

It's just Latin for praise to god. Both words pre-date Christianity but that doesn't mean the phrase itself has an underlying pagan tone. While others here are more versed in Roman religion than I, its tone feels Christian/monotheist and doesn't seem likely to me to be adopted directly from a pagan ritual. I suppose one would have to review a good deal of text and tablets to know for sure though.

Does the term "Laus Deo" date from Roman paganism, or from later, and if so, do you know when?

It's just Latin for praise to god. Both words pre-date Christianity but that doesn't mean the phrase itself has an underlying pagan tone. While others here are more versed in Roman religion than I, its tone feels Christian/monotheist and doesn't seem likely to me to be adopted directly from a pagan ritual. I suppose one would have to review a good deal of text and tablets to know for sure though.

That is found on top of the Washinton monument. The word "Deo", in context, is most likely dative singular masculine, or said another way, the recipient of the subject, "laus" which means most likely, just "praise" in its noun form. It means "praise to God", singular. Because Laus is a noun, not an imperative verb, it is not a command. It more reflects an oblation.

I am not familiar with the phrase in reference to classical paganism. In classical paganism one really doesn't give "praise" to deities so much as votive offerings and sacrifices.

I assume the phrase is a Christian/Catholic invention

It's certainly to be found in the Renaissance, but I agree with Ursus that it doesn't exactly jibe with pagan worship. The Romans never pretended to love and adore their deities.