UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Egypt's Christian Minority

spittle

Did anyone else see this hardhitting report?

Tens of thousands of people living in a rubbish dump with pigs and giant rats and sanitation related disease!

Some wealthy enough to live in much nicer area's but choosing to risk rat bites and disease rather than the prejudice of Muslim Egyptians.

Did anyone else see this hardhitting report?

Tens of thousands of people living in a rubbish dump with pigs and giant rats and sanitation related disease!

Some wealthy enough to live in much nicer area's but choosing to risk rat bites and disease rather than the prejudice of Muslim Egyptians.

A surprise, but not a shock. Thanks for bringing it up. Do you have a link?

Faustus

Edited by Faustus

http://channel4.com/video/unreported-world...ghetto-p-l.html

I really must learn how to add links.

Sorry.

It became a link automatically!

I suppose that means I have learned!

If that doesn't work try: THIS

If that doesn't work try: THIS

But wait! I heard on the news that Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance. How could they let this happen?

They learnt their intolerances from the Crusaders in the Middle Ages: it's hard to live in peace and toleration with people who kill anybody dressed in 'Saracen' clothes, even when they are Christian!!

But the crusades were a long time go. Longer ago, indeed, than the span of time between the crusades and the muslim conquest of Christian areas. So, I dont believe this is the root of the current victimisation of Christians in the middle East. The Middle Eastern countries have long had a large minority of christians which has lived fairly peacfully among the muslims. Recent events such as the Anglo - American intervention into Iraq have made these people a target of the majority religion - and resulted in their mass emigration from such countries. In much the same way as Jewish Germans were rounded up and interned in Britain during WW2.

Didn't everyone with a modicum of historical knowledge and insight predict that this might have been the case?

But wait! I heard on the news that Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance. How could they let this happen?

They're all religions of peace - until you disagree with them.

They learnt their intolerances from the Crusaders in the Middle Ages: it's hard to live in peace and toleration with people who kill anybody dressed in 'Saracen' clothes, even when they are Christian!!

I don't think One True Faiths have to be taught intolerance from an external source, they seem rather inbred with it. And when you have two different One True Faiths rub up against each other, it gets really interesting.

(sending to Arena. I don't mean to stifle free discussion, but lately there has been a lot of poltiical and religious threads. Perhaps this stuff is best left off a site dedicated to Roman history, unless it specifically deals with Roman history? Just my humble opinion).

I started this thread for RAMSES THE GREAT.

His parents are Egyptian Christians, living in USA.

i THINK ITS TIME WE STOPPED LOOKING FOR HISTORICAL REASONS AND JUST AGREED THAT PERSECUTING MINORITY GROUPS IS WRONG.

The only surprise for me it's your surprise. Christians and all "infidels" are mistreated in most ( I say most and not all because I don't want to be asked to make a list) muslim countries. Even Turkey persecutes her christians.

The pharaoh hails from Canada.

Muslims did not have to be taught violence by anybody, fighting the holy war and spreading islam by sword are among the Coran's commandements and were done by Mohamed himself. I believe that the crusades and military monastic orders of catholicism were attempts to duplicate the military fervor of ghazi's in a catholic context.